Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if somebody could give me swedens expected line up for euro. can you fit it into a 4-4-2 for me even if you dont expect to play that?

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Goalkeeper: Isaksson (Hedman

Defenders (from left to right):
Lucic (Leverkusen)
M.Svensson (Southampton)
Mellberg (Aston Villa
Edman (Herenveen)

Midfielders (from left to right):
Ljungberg (Arsenal)
A. Svensson (Southampton)
Jakobsson (Bröndby)
Nilsson (Halmstad)

Allbäck (Aston Villa)
Ibrahimovic (Ajax)

Hopefully Kim Källström will get a fair chance in the friendlies and finally Lars-Tommy (our coaches, Laurel and Hardy) will make him a regular on the midfield.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Cracker said:

Hopefully Kim Källström will get a fair chance in the friendlies and finally Lars-Tommy (our coaches, Laurel and Hardy) will make him a regular on the midfield.
The day it was official that Kim had signed for Rennes Lars-Tommy gave him a place in the starting eleven. Ok, so perhaps it wasn't exactly like that but I'm pretty sure that his move to Rennes gave him a lot more chances to fight for a starting eleven position.

The line up you gave is of course the one most likely in the Euro, at least if the Euro would take place tomorrow. If I could dream for a moment this would be the line up when it is time to play:

GK:Isaksson(DIF)

Defenders:
C. Andersson(HIF?) M. Svensson(Southampton) Mellberg(Aston Villa) M. Dorsin(Strasbourg)

Midfielders:
Ljungberg(Arsenal) A. Svensson(Southampton?) A. Johansson(DIF) K Källström(Rennes)

Forwards: Zlatan(Ajax) M. Jonsson(Bröndby)

Reserves: GK(anyone besides Hedman), E. Edman, M. Nilsson, Jakobsson, Elmander.

I know this starting eleven is way too offensive for Lars-Tommy to take out but hey, one can always dream:)

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Since there'd been no replies until late tonight Luigi asked me for a possible Swedish lineup, and I just entered the one I thought the best.

Quite a few changes in the ones I see here.

Just a question though... why would you not play Jakobsen in defence? I think he's brilliant there with Brøndby. Gives calm when distributing out of defence.

I'd like to see the following:

--------------Isaksson
Mellberg Jakobsen Svensson Edman
---------Linderoth Källström
---Ljungberg--------A.Svensson
---------Zlatan---Allbäck

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Glen said:

Just a question though... why would you not play Jakobsen in defence? I think he's brilliant there with Brøndby. Gives calm when distributing out of defence.

Glen...like most swedes we don't try to understand the decisions made by Laurel & Hardy, I mean if they'd decide to play Isaksson as a striker, I wouldn't be surprised.
I agree, Jakobsson is gold as a defender...IMO he's too slow to be a midfielder, specially for the defensive role...sure, it worked against San Marino...he even scored a goal, but although they also speak italian in Italy...they play on a slightly higher level :rolleyes:
Jakobsson was along with Anders Svensson and Henrik Larsson the best player in the swedish WC2002 squad, he was solid as a rock in the defence. Sure Michael Svensson is good, but then Jakobsson should be fighting for a defender spot, not being placed as a midfielder :wth:

But as I said...don't understand, accept...there's probably a very thoroughly thought through plan behind this that will give Sweden the Euro gold ;)

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Based on the current form i would prefer.

-----Östlund-Jakobsson-Mellberg-Edman
---------------Källström-Mjällby
Wilhelmsson---Ljungberg---Stefanidis/A.Farnerud
----------------------Zlatan

Thats with Anders Svensson and Allbäck on their current form...But on the other hand, both of them where in about the same situation at this time of the year last season as well.Yet they came out strong to important qualifiers in the spring, so maybe we just should worry:rolleyes:

I always prefered Jakobsson. It can be vital to have a skilled defender that doesnt just hoofs the ball around....like M.Svensson

·
The Dude
4,448 Posts
I can't complain that much about which ones they are playing at the moment. Based on the fact that Sweden use a 4-4-2 and Lars-Tommy uses this line-up:

Zlatan - M.Allbäck
F.Ljungberg - A.Svensson - M.Nilsson
A.Jakobsson
E.Edman - M.Svensson - O.Mellberg - T.Lucic
A.Isaksson

They seem to have almost the best available, almost.
Well, okey, I can complain about some things.
For starters, I would prefer Andreas Andersson as a striker instead of Allbäck but he's facing a hard time to get back in shape in time.
Also, it's crazy using A.Jakobsson as Defensive Midfielder. Yes he do have the defensive skills but if he's playing on behalf of Kim Källström then something is seriously wrong.
But still Im not sure if Andreas Jakobsson would take a place in our central defence because Olof Mellberg is solid as a rock and Michael Svensson has grown into a superstar in the Premiership.
He's one of the best defenders in England at the time, he's much more english in his playing style than swedish.
In a big championship like the Euro2004 we will need international good players and I think Svensson - Mellberg is our best solution at the moment. With Jakobsson as a suberb back-up ofcourse.
Also, Im not sure how well Mikael Nilsson will be playing against teams like Italy and such. But he got pretty good defensive skills and in an attacking midfield like ours maybe it's good to have him there.(But that is only if Källström will be played).

My prefered lineup would be:
Zlatan - A.Andersson

F.Ljungberg - A.Svensson - M.Nilsson
K.Källström

E.Edman - M.Svensson - O.Mellberg - T.Lucic

A.Isaksson

And with our reserves containing of the followin players:
GK:
M.Hedman
R.Shaaban - If he get fit in time I prefer him anyday ahead of Hedman who let's face it, has been really,really bad the last couple of seasons.

Wingbacks:
M.Dorsin - The perfect sub for Erik Edman.
A.Östlund
C.Andersson

CD:
A.Jakobsson
D.Majstorovic

DM:
T.Linderoth

AM:
M.Jonsson
B.Stefanidis
A.Farnerud
C.Vilhelmsson
A.Johansson

Attackers:
M.Allbäck
J.Elmander

·
Registered
48 Posts
Cracker said:

Midfielders (from left to right):
Ljungberg (Arsenal)
A. Svensson (Southampton)
Jakobsson (Bröndby)
Nilsson (Halmstad)
WTF: Jakobsson on the midfield... Does he play midfield when he plays for Sweden???

Jakobsson and Jonson rocks... And Henrik "Henke" Larsson if he joins Brøndby (PLZ GOD :) )

/Claus

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Claus said:
WTF: Jakobsson on the midfield... Does he play midfield when he plays for Sweden???

Jakobsson and Jonson rocks... And Henrik "Henke" Larsson if he joins Brøndby (PLZ GOD :) )

/Claus
Some say that the ways of God are mysterious...well, I think God is getting pretty good competition in this aspect from Lars-Tommy :rolleyes:
Jakobsson has played as a defensive midfielder partly because he's done it pretty well, he even scored a goal (against San Marino :rolleyes: ) and partly because there's no one else (according to Lars-Tommy that is) who could fill up the space after the ball-genious Mjällby :rolleyes:...sorry, I'm in a sarcastic mood, what can I do :howler:
The battle for the central defending spot in our NT is pretty tough. It's between Olof Mellberg of Aston Villa, Michael Svensson of Southampton and your beloved Jakobsson of Brøndby. I for one can't say who's the best of them, I guess current form decides that. But Mellberg-Svensson has worked out pretty well, our defence has never been a problem, atleast not our central defenders.
BUT, Jakobsson was a treat in the WC2002, one of the best players in the swedish squad as I mentioned before. So it's a tough call, but I do think Jakobsson deserves a fair chance :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Cracker said:
Some say that the ways of God are mysterious...well, I think God is getting pretty good competition in this aspect from Lars-Tommy :rolleyes:
Jakobsson has played as a defensive midfielder partly because he's done it pretty well, he even scored a goal (against San Marino :rolleyes: ) and partly because there's no one else (according to Lars-Tommy that is) who could fill up the space after the ball-genious Mjällby :rolleyes:...sorry, I'm in a sarcastic mood, what can I do :howler:
The battle for the central defending spot in our NT is pretty tough. It's between Olof Mellberg of Aston Villa, Michael Svensson of Southampton and your beloved Jakobsson of Brøndby. I for one can't say who's the best of them, I guess current form decides that. But Mellberg-Svensson has worked out pretty well, our defence has never been a problem, atleast not our central defenders.
BUT, Jakobsson was a treat in the WC2002, one of the best players in the swedish squad as I mentioned before. So it's a tough call, but I do think Jakobsson deserves a fair chance :)
Thx for the info... Jakobsson has scored several goals for Brøndby as central defender though... The best one was on a freekick against F(U)CK... :) still getting the creeps when seeing it... Just like the Schalke game...!

/Claus

·
Registered
39 Posts
Jakobsson is a good defender, he showed that in the WC. But i'll take Mellberg and Mjällby ahead of him and Svensson any day.
In fact, of those 4 CD Jakobsson comes dead last. Even though Mjällby is a rat ;)

Källström is good defensivly, but I don't think he's good enough to be an alone def mid. In DIF it worked out fine because he always had someone else next to him who where just as good if not better then him defensivly. Either we use 2 def mid, with Kim as one of them. But then both of them can be a little less "pure def mid" and a little more skilled in offence, or we can use only 1 def mid but then he'd better be a monster in the defense.
And since I don't think Lars&Tommy want's to (and with all right) change their playing system to short time before the EC, they will go with 1 def mid only, and his main functions WILL be defense.

To use a inner midfield with both Svensson and Källström in the EC is gullable and foolish at the least. We would get raped.

·
Registered
48 Posts
HighChief said:
Jakobsson is a good defender, he showed that in the WC. But i'll take Mellberg and Mjällby ahead of him and Svensson any day.
In fact, of those 4 CD Jakobsson comes dead last. Even though Mjällby is a rat ;)

Källström is good defensivly, but I don't think he's good enough to be an alone def mid. In DIF it worked out fine because he always had someone else next to him who where just as good if not better then him defensivly. Either we use 2 def mid, with Kim as one of them. But then both of them can be a little less "pure def mid" and a little more skilled in offence, or we can use only 1 def mid but then he'd better be a monster in the defense.
And since I don't think Lars&Tommy want's to (and with all right) change their playing system to short time before the EC, they will go with 1 def mid only, and his main functions WILL be defense.

To use a inner midfield with both Svensson and Källström in the EC is gullable and foolish at the least. We would get raped.
Thx for the info... One more question:

Do you think Jonson will play?? And if he will, then what position?
Winger or Striker...?

Thx in advance...

/Claus

BTW: Do anyone know how Stefan Selakovic is doing...? Is he good or bad? Does he still play in Heerenveen (spelling?) ??

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Mjällby before Michael Svensson? :wth:
Remember the game against Nigeria? I mean Jakobsson was saving Mjällby's ass time after time, Mjällby almost scored an own goal too :eek:
Mellberg is a given choice IMO, and after that it's a pretty open fight between Jakobsson and Svensson. If you want Mjällby on the pitch, put him beside Källström as that defensive midfielder...his lack of ball control will be compensated by Källström's magic feet and split vision :star:

Claus, about Mattias Jonson. I'm not so sure about him, it would be interesting to see him together with Ibrahimovic, since Zlatan doesn't like to run much and create space for himself or anyone else. Jonson is IMO the opposite and he'd probably create a lot of options for Zlatan on the pitch, I see similarities between Jonson and Johan Elmander, in their way of playing. That's probably why Jonson was rumoured to play for DIF before we got Elmander on a loan ;)
Anyhoo, IF Jonson will play in the NT it'll be as a striker, that's where he has been playing the past games.

Haven't heard much about Selakovic since he left Sweden. But from what I've heard he's a regular starter, but obviously not making it as good as Allbäck did a couple of years ago in the same club.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Cracker said:
Remember the game against Nigeria? I mean Jakobsson was saving Mjällby's ass time after time, Mjällby almost scored an own goal too :eek:
Mellberg is a given choice IMO, and after that it's a pretty open fight between Jakobsson and Svensson. If you want Mjällby on the pitch, put him beside Källström as that defensive midfielder...his lack of ball control will be compensated by Källström's magic feet and split vision :star:

Claus, about Mattias Jonson. I'm not so sure about him, it would be interesting to see him together with Ibrahimovic, since Zlatan doesn't like to run much and create space for himself or anyone else. Jonson is IMO the opposite and he'd probably create a lot of options for Zlatan on the pitch, I see similarities between Jonson and Johan Elmander, in their way of playing. That's probably why Jonson was rumoured to play for DIF before we got Elmander on a loan ;)
Anyhoo, IF Jonson will play in the NT it'll be as a striker, that's where he has been playing the past games.

Haven't heard much about Selakovic since he left Sweden. But from what I've heard he's a regular starter, but obviously not making it as good as Allbäck did a couple of years ago in the same club.
Thank you... I also think that Jonson and Zlatan would do nice together...

/Claus

·
Registered
39 Posts
Cracker said:
Hi. What game did you see? Because if I remember correctly, mjällbys ass was not saved "time after time" by jakobsson. Mjällby put in a solid performance in that match, although I do admit that Jakobsson was very good that match. Since Jakobsson was that good that match, it might have appeared to you that he saved Mjällbys ass. Look again.
And except for that match, Mjällby was better then Jakobsson in all other matches. He didn't loose a single "header duell" in like all other matches. It was only that was against Nigeria (which unfortunately resulted in a goal). Mjällby played great in the WC.

Now don't think I'm raising Mjällby to the skies. But him, Jakobsson and Svensson are all the same kind of central defenders. They are rather slow, rather tall, and more guts then brain. The only differences in them is that Jakobsson is problably better with the ball then the other 2, but Mjällby is without doubt the better sort of defender we need in our NT. If you wonder what I mean with that, think of it. How often does our defenders go high up on the pitch? And how often are they low, close to the penalty area? More then not, it's the second choice. And what you need then is not fast defenders, or technical ones. You need defenders good in the aerial and marking area. Mjällby is the best of those 3 defenders in both those areas.

So many swedes sort of raise Jakobsons performances during the WC to the skies. Sure he was good, and the nice part of him being good was that nobody expected it. But he was far from the best player in swedens squad there.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Mjällby is to blamed for both goals vs Senegal. Or i would say he would have to share that blame with Hedman...

Jakobsson guts and no brain? He is the opposite, a verey calm defender without not much guts. For a example he doesnt ask for the ball enough.

I cant stand M.Svensson myself. He works perfectly for PL. But international football isnt as aggresive. And he cant pass the ball, like Jakobsson...

As for the defensive midfielder spot. I fully agree, its hardly realistic to put Källström there alone.

I was thinking about Farnerud and Källström once, that surely would make a interesting midfield atleast skillwise. (both being defensive midfielders)
But jeez how dissapointed i was with Farnerud´s defensive ability (cant belive he has been tried as a pure defensive midfielder with sweden).

He hasnt developed his defensive skills one bit. He got the same "uppgivna" ballwatching mentality as Linderoth.
But eventhough he couldnt defend, his skills with the ball and vision was at times a joy to watch and he clearly was among the best players agaisnt a classy side such as Marseille. He also has similiar longpass ability as Källström, eventough its not at the same level.

He is rather a playmaker, but there Källström is better...And Svensson as well on form.

Back to Mjällby, he is hardly the best central defender we got. I would rather place him as a defensive midfielder beside a mroe skillfull midfielder. He is the only leader we have.

For that sake, we played verey good football with him at that position when against Poland, 3-0

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Gollum said:
Jakobsson guts and no brain? He is the opposite, a verey calm defender without not much guts. For a example he doesnt ask for the ball enough.
He hasn't been booked one single time this season - playing as a defender. Quite impressive!

He's, as some of you already mentioned, very good on the ball. Not too quick, but his way of reading the play helps his skills as a strong and solid defender.

He's awesome at practicing these precise cool tackles, when he snaps up the ball from an opponent - perhaps one of the reasons for his "card-free" season. :)

All in all: He's been very impressive in Brøndby and is clearly one of the best defenders in the league, if not the best. ;)

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Hello HighChief, I think we saw the same game...well, almost...I had my student avslutning so the Nigeria game was my champagne-breakfast ;)
And I might have had one or two bottles too many :rolleyes::drunk:
But I DO have a clear memory of being sh!t nervous everytime Mjällby was near the ball. Don't know if that was just pure instinct due to his impressive ball skills :rolleyes: or simple the effect of too much alcohol :tongue:

One thing is for sure: Jakobsson posses two qualities that Mjällby does not:

1. He spreads a calm that even reaches out to the TV-fans.
2. He can actually pass the ball and do it pretty well

Sure, I'm not denying Mjällby is good on his head or make good tackles, his tackles are actually a joy to watch, always on the edge, but usually fair. All I'm trying to say is that Jakobsson is a bit more complete defender than Mjällby and that Mjällby might do less damage as a defensive midfielder ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
He hasn't been booked one single time this season - playing as a defender. Quite impressive!
How many cards you get are not in equality to what I meant with more guts then brain. What I meant was his playing style, during the WC more then anything else. He won quite alot of headers during that tournament, and if you look back at it that was mainly what he did in defence there. He did it good to. Since he and Mjällby took 2 different roles, it's easy to blame Mjällby for the last goal against senegal, but that's wrong. Mjällby where supposed to be the agressive one when the opponents came against the "defensive line", while Jakobsson where supposed to stay behind and be the reserve sort of speaking. Since it's alot harder to be the agressive defender (especially on those situations), most people thought that Jakobsson did a great job, when most of what he did was do the easy part after Mjällby had done the hard part in getting them out of balance or get the ball to far away.

I'll admit that I'm making these conclusions based only on what Iv'e seen in the NT, and not in the danish league, so the Brondy fans might know of a different side of him that can be used in the NT.

He's, as some of you already mentioned, very good on the ball. Not too quick, but his way of reading the play helps his skills as a strong and solid defender.
I for one, prefer having midfielders that are good on the ball, instead of defenders. You know, what with them handling the ball a bit more then the defenders?

One thing is for sure: Jakobsson posses two qualities that Mjällby does not:

1. He spreads a calm that even reaches out to the TV-fans.
2. He can actually pass the ball and do it pretty well
Do you even know what a defender and a def midfielder are supposed to do? What you just described, is a far better def mid then Mjällby. As we have concluded, mjällby is really good defensivly, but his ball skills is more then lacking. And Jakobsson is better with the ball, but not as good defensively. Since a midfielder usually makes more passes during stress, I for one would rather have a player there who is a good passing player.
We all know what happens to a team that has a defensive midfielder who sucks with the ball, when you don't have the offensive midfielder to make up for it. Look at Svante Samuelsson and his AIK. They didn't have a good enough offensive midfielder to make up for his wooden legs, and neither does sweden when it comes to a major competition like the EC.
Mjällby is better then Jakobson in the defensive department. And that's a defenders main job, and that's why he should play and not Jakobsson.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts