Xtratime Community banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mild out of Sweden World Cup squad

STOCKHOLM, May 15 (AFP)
Sweden midfielder Hakan Mild saw his World Cup dream cruelly dashed here here Wednesday after rupturing an achilles tendon during training, Swedish officials said.
Mild, currently plying his trade with English First Division side Wimbledon, had already battled back from one injury to claim a place in Sweden's squad for the finals in Japan and South Korea.
"I worked so hard just to get in the squad again, obviously I'm very sad to be missing out," said Mild, a member of the Swedish team which reached the 1994 World Cup semi-finals.
"I'm going to go home, rest and watch the World Cup on the television. I just want to wish the team good luck," he added.
Mild worked his way back to fitness after undergoing an operation on damaged adductor muscles in March.
"Hakan has ruptured the achilles tendon on his left leg. It will take about four to six weeks to heal, so he won't be able to play in the World Cup," said team doctor Magnus Forssblad.

This group is looking less problematic as each day goes by. Argentina can even afford to lose her opening match and stil qualify now.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts