Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who do you think have the best euro2000 team?

Sweden, who played 0-0 against Spain
Norway, who bet Italy
Or Denmark, who played 2-2 against Belgium

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
i think sweden has a great change
norway and danemark have a little change but i dont think they willm make it..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Denmark's chances aren't too good because they are in the toughest group. Norway have good chances. Norway as a team is better than Yugoslavia, although the Yugoslavs may have better individual players. Spain should go through. And Norway will beat Slovenia if they perform as they've done the last few months.

I'm not sure about Sweden. They don't score enough goals and Belgium at home is not easy. They've had a good run of results lately. Italy will probably rise to the occasion, and Turkey are no push-overs. I predict Norway to go through and for Sweden I believe there is a 50/50 chance and I don't give Denmark too good odds to progress.

------------------
Webmaster
http://worldcup.socceralliance.com

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I wrote earlier of predicitng Sweden will finish bottom I take back.
However, I don't think Sweden has a very good chance of progessing, but a decent chance.
With the current form of Belgium, and with home-advantage I think Belgium will edge the Swedes on the opening day. With Turkey I have absolutely no idea, but somehow I can see Sweden beat Italy, 1-0 perhaps, that match I can see as the match as to who will finish 2nd in the group and progress. Italy usually rises to the occasion, they have a very strong squad of players, but I do think the absence of Buffon in goal and Vieri up-front will be sorely sorely missed.
At the moment I would go for
1) Belgium
2) Sweden
3) Italy
4) Turkey

I think Italy will score very little goals, so Sweden could edge them on goal difference.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, morientes. Just a mistake by me.

The question was not who will come farthest in euro2000( I think we already have had that topic). It was about the best team.
And it's a difference between this two questions.
What if Sweden and Denmark would change group? Denmark would have better chances then.

So who has the best team? If two of these scandinavian teams played against each other, who would win?

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
hmmmmm interesting theory!!!

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
The best team our of these three is Sweden, but that's only if they had all their players free from injury. Here's my ranking.

Without injuries:

1) Sweden
2) Norway
3) Denmark

Right now:

1) Norway
2) Sweden
3) Denmark

Sweden has some good players on all positions, while Norway has great forwards. So I give the edge to Sweden. While Denmark could possibily have a tough defense, especially with Shmeichael in the nets.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Eclipse, Norway is the best team according to the FIFA ranking and the 3 Scandinavian national team coaches. Sweden is too dependant of Henke Larsson and is more or less in the same situation as Norway in WC 1994 who had a good defence and limited strength in attack.

Don't forget that Norway have been without Ronny Johnsen for a year. Rated by Marcello Lippi as one of the world's 5 best centerbacks. He is the heart of the defence. He won't be playing in EURO 2000, sadly.

I hope Sweden progress to the quaterfinals as well, but I believe more in Norway.

------------------
Webmaster
http://worldcup.socceralliance.com

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Fifa rankings don't show all that much, and I'm not going to bring any examples. But I guess the coaches thinking that Norway is the best is a good argument. I still think that Swedish midfield and defense is better than Norway's. I don't think Norway has anyone that compares to Shawarz and Ljungberg.

Based on recent friendlies Norway has shown more than Sweden. But in the Euro qualifiers Sweden ran away with their group dropping only 2 points, and they were in a tougher group than Norway.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah Sweden did very well in the qualifying. But their group wasn't as tough as people might see it. Bulgaria's team was way over the hill. Stoitchkov & Co had faded a lot. Poland haven't done much in international football the last 15 years. But England of course is a force.

Norway had hangovers after the World Cup as most other teams who particiapted in WC 98. Spain for instance lost their first game to Cyprus! Norway lost to Latvia in the first EURO qualifying game (First home defeat in 7 years!), but won the last 8 games of the group to qualify with ease.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Which is the best team in Scandinavia? Very tough question cause these 3 teams are so equal. In big tournaments on the other hand Sweden and Denmark have proven to play better than Norway. I know Norway have beaten Brazil in WC98 but they have never won anything or progressed very far in big tournaments.

So in my opinion it must be like this:
1. Sweden
2. Denmark
3. Norway

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Frankly

i'm not sure, just some week ago i thought that denmark wouldn't stand a chance against sweden or norway, but after seeing some highlights from denmarks match against belgium i've changed my mind. I think that the three scandinavian nations right now are pretty even.
But the in the Euro2000 i think norway will make the best contribution, because they have a good team, and now with carew i think they'll beat yugoslavia and slovenia and perhaps spain to.
For sweden i can only say this much, if they don't find a goalscorer they wont get to the second round, but IF they do i think they can make just as good as norway, if not better.
Denmark, well what can i say, bad luck, though group, sorry pölsebrothers but you wont make it, but if for example sweden and denmark would swap groups as Trèzeguet said then i think denmark would make it far, but not this time.
But at the same time we must be aware that denmark did win the Euro92 in sweden, and no one even dreamt that it would happen, so you'll never know..... ;-)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts