Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's time to start speculating about Sweden's second game of the World Cup. The opponents are Nigeria and it's going to be a really tough game. Patrik Andersson is still doubtful, but Henrik Larsson and Fredrik Ljungberg should be match fit.

This is the team I would like to see on Friday.

GK: Hedman
RD: Mellberg
CD: Jakobsson
CD: Mjällby
LD: Lucic
RM: Farnerud
CM: Linderoth
CM: Anders Svensson
LM: Ljungberg
FW: Larsson
FW: Allbäck

A few comments:

The defense looked very solid against England and I don't see any reason to change it. I would rather play a fully fit and in form Jakobsson than gamble on a slightly injured Patrik Andersson. Mjällby did a good job as captain as well, so that's not a problem either.

Anders Svensson impressed me on Sunday. Not by his skill and creativity, I already knew his capabilities in those areas, but by his defensive work and ball winning ability. His weak defensive work is thus not a reason to keep him out of the team.

I have selected Pontus Farnerud on right midfield. Neither Alexandersson or Magnus Svensson really impressed against England and I think we should try something new. Farnerud has the defensive skills Söderberg-Lagerbäck wants, combined with quickness and creativity. He was apparently very good in the training game against that local team (admittedly weak opposition, but still...).

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I agree with you on Farnerud. Problem is that Alex is pretty popular, specially after scoring. I doubt we'll see any bigger and drastic changes.

One thing that worries me a bit is a foot injury on Mellberg who had to skip todays training session coz of the pain :eek:

I think we have a tuff dilemma with our center backs.
On one hand, the defence was one of few things that worked well throughout most of the game.
But if Andersson is back and fit to a 100% (which I doubt with so many injuries) he should be given a spot along with Jakobsson.

Jakobsson IMO is the only selfwritten center back after the England game. Mjällby is making me nervous everytime he gets the ball and his tackles aren't always so responsible to the rest of the team...

So IF Andersson is ready to play, Mjällby is the one who should step aside. But then again, one shouldn't change a "winning" squad :D

·
The Dude
4,448 Posts
Cant wait for the game to start!

A win and we're probably through this group of death... :)

I'll write more soon...

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I'm graduating tomorrow, so we're gonna have a champagne frukost and watch the game at the same time :happy::party::excited::cool:
Lets just hope that the nigerians wont spoil the party :nervous:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts