Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
70,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Season starts in two weeks as the new TV deal kicks in hence the name and sponsorship change for the league. The top flight will simply be known as the 'HNL' while the second tier will be rebranded as the 1.NL and the unified third tier will be known as 2.NL. The format for the top flight remains the same, each team plays each other four times, with the bottom club getting relegated. Varazdin return to the HNL after a one season absence. Here are the full fixtures: Raspored i rezultati - SuperSport HNL

Not too many new managers this summer in the HNL as most clubs actually kept the same managers from last season. Dinamo took the interim tag off of Ante Cacic after he won the title. Rijeka made a surprising move, they knew Tomic was leaving and despite some foreign managers being linked to the job they hired the duo of Fausto Budicin and Dragan Tadic. Budicin managed Orijent Rijeka and Istra recently while Tadic coached the Rijeka junior team and was Dragovoljac's manager the second half of last season when they became a Rijeka feeder team for those few months. Damir Canadi, an Austrian with Croatian descent, is the new Sibenik manager

Dinamo have been the most busy club so far in the summer transfer window already adding Bosko Sutalo (Atalanta), Josip Drmic (Rijeka) and Robert Ljubicic (Rapid Wien). While several players could still leave, especially the NT players, the only notable loss so far is Bartol Franjic who left for Wolfsburg

Hajduk have been slow so far this transfer window, the only key addition so far is former U21 international Toni Borevkovic who arrives from Guimaraes on loan. Katic and Ferro will not return from their loan stints while Lovre Kalinic permanently joins from Aston Villa

Osijek, after a turbulent second half of the season have also been fairly inactive so far in the transfer window but the big news is that despite interest from abroad, Bjelica will remain as manager

Rijeka on paper once again are probably the weakest of the 'big 4' but they look to be active in the window, they already signed Matej Mitrovic from Brugge (on paper decent signing but he's not played much due to injury past few years) and Mario Vrancic who has EPL and Championship experience. They have been linked with Alen Halilovic and Marko Rog these past few days. However, they have lost some key players as Smolcic was sold to Frankfurt, Drmic left for Dinamo and the duo of Muric/Pavicic go to Konyaspor

Not much to say so far about the rest of the league, Gorica sold Kotarski to PAOK and will replace him with Karlo Ziger, young keeper who was in the Chelsea academy. Gorica and Loko should be comfortable mid-table once again but hard to see them push for Europe, unless Rijeka totally collapse. Istra could be interesting however due to Alaves' relegation from La Liga their budget will be cut, as usual they will try to sign youngsters on loan from the bigger clubs, they have already signed Bartol Barisic on loan, a promising prospect from the Dinamo youth teams. One good thing about Istra is they are starting to develop better players from their own youth academy

The main candidates for the drop once again are probably Slaven Belupo, Sibenik and newly promoted Varazdin; Slaven on paper are much weaker than last season having lost Zvonarek and Krstanovic; Sibenik will probably try to same formula as last season bringing in youngsters on loan from the top clubs but their ownership is much more stable than last season so that might help while Varazdin haven't done much of note other than brigning in Jozo Stanic on loan from Augsburg

The 1.NL has been reduced to 12 clubs this season and hopefully like last season it should be an exciting race at both ends of the table. Part of the league restructuring is that the second teams were automatically relegated, Dinamo got rid of theirs completely while Osijek II will compete in the third tier. The newly promoted team in this league is Vukovar '91 who seem pretty ambitious. Inter Zapresic, who nearly became the de facto 'Dinamo II' this summer are apparently on the verge of bankruptcy. Hard to say who the favorites are, very few of these clubs can get licenses anyway so its probably one of the Zagreb based clubs

·
Registered
70,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Alen Halilovic is set to join Rijeka, should be made official tomorrow, pretty much a last chance for him, at 26 he can still make a respectable career but he has been a major bust

·
Registered
5,610 Posts

·
Registered
HNK Rijeka, Croatian National Team
7,020 Posts
Rijeka are the best at taking ‘reclamation projects’ and getting value out of them but I feel like there’s more baggage with Alen. Hopefully the juice will be worth the squeeze.

Instead of bringing on these projects every year it seems, would be nice to see someone from our academy step up for once and become a leading figure on the team i.e. Liber, Frigan, Busnja, Lepinijica, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: croatian batman

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
@HajdukSplit ...whats the prognosis for this season? I see different opinions from the media and then the fans of each club seem to be all over the place!

Clubs like Istra seem to be ok and I don't hear much about Sibenik. Hajduk look happy with their current squad, Dinamo say they struggle at left back and Rijeka are pretty quiet other than just bringing in Halilovic. Will we see any surprises?

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
I agree FF. Rijeka always seems to do these things. The signings aren’t bad they’re all quality players for the HNL. But after these signings I still think they’re the 4th best team in the league. So the same. But with the way Dragovoljca played the 2nd half I figured the youth those guys would be more prominent in this years squad. Was looking foward to Galesic, Frigan, Karrica etc. In order to win the league and go far in Europe you have to take the chances with the youth and build.

·
Registered
70,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@HajdukSplit ...whats the prognosis for this season? I see different opinions from the media and then the fans of each club seem to be all over the place!

Clubs like Istra seem to be ok and I don't hear much about Sibenik. Hajduk look happy with their current squad, Dinamo say they struggle at left back and Rijeka are pretty quiet other than just bringing in Halilovic. Will we see any surprises?
The 'problem' with the HNL is the season starts so early, teams still have two months to improve their squad basically. If the rumors are true Istra will add to their squad still, the latest rumor is Radonjic (ex-Dinamo, currently in Russia) and they hope Barisic on loan from Dinamo will replicate what Beljo did. Sibenik added a lot in numbers but none of their signings are overly impressive, Duje Cop seems done to me and they will find it tough to replace Marin. On paper though Varazdin and Slaven have the weakest squads. Don't think anybody can really crack into the top four

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
The 'problem' with the HNL is the season starts so early, teams still have two months to improve their squad basically. If the rumors are true Istra will add to their squad still, the latest rumor is Radonjic (ex-Dinamo, currently in Russia) and they hope Barisic on loan from Dinamo will replicate what Beljo did. Sibenik added a lot in numbers but none of their signings are overly impressive, Duje Cop seems done to me and they will find it tough to replace Marin. On paper though Varazdin and Slaven have the weakest squads. Don't think anybody can really crack into the top four
any idea if any of our neighbours will have tomorrow's game televized? I don't think I have MaxSport...would Slovenia or BiH show it?

·
Registered
70,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mitrovic is already out long term for Rijeka and Kacavenda is out until the 2nd half of the season for Lokomotiva. Krstanovic will stay with Slaven Belupo. Gorica have sold Babec to Riga FC for about a million euros (they have some ambitious Russian owner, hence the high fee from a Latvian club of all places) and have brought in Deni Juric on loan from Dinamo.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Mitrovic is already out long term for Rijeka and Kacavenda is out until the 2nd half of the season for Lokomotiva. Krstanovic will stay with Slaven Belupo. Gorica have sold Babec to Riga FC for about a million euros (they have some ambitious Russian owner, hence the high fee from a Latvian club of all places) and have brought in Deni Juric on loan from Dinamo.
Big blow for the under 21 team as well with Kacavenda. Hopefully Kacavenda doesn’t end up like Pjaca who was never the same after he tore his knee up.

·
Registered
663 Posts
First round done. No real surprises apart from Dinamo going down 0-2 in first 25min against Lokomotiva. Great start for Beljo at Osijek. Hajduk good starting XI but depth is badly needed.

·
Registered
70,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know its still early days of this TV deal but SN brought it up on one of their articles, how is it that this league doesn't have a YouTube page dedicated to showing highlights? They did with HNTV but now you cannot find official highlights (you can find ones trying to avoid copyright but it looks like you're watching highlights from the 1960s). I'm not a big social media guy but from the same article they mention the HNL doesn't have much of a presence on that either. Just awful marketing of the league over there

·
Registered
663 Posts
I know its still early days of this TV deal but SN brought it up on one of their articles, how is it that this league doesn't have a YouTube page dedicated to showing highlights? They did with HNTV but now you cannot find official highlights (you can find ones trying to avoid copyright but it looks like you're watching highlights from the 1960s). I'm not a big social media guy but from the same article they mention the HNL doesn't have much of a presence on that either. Just awful marketing of the league over there
Yep absolutely crazy. The YouTube channel was a great way to engage with fans. Still stuck in the dark ages it seems.

·
Registered
70,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In the 2nd tier some troubling news as Inter Zapresic are on the verge of bankruptcy and have told the HNS they won't participate in the league this season, they will probably cease to exist in the upcoming days. Likely that Croatia Zmijavci will take their place but they will have difficult time putting together a competitive squad in a short time period

The big transfer rumor is that Pjaca will join Dinamo to try to recover his career, not much news about outgoing transfers though, with Sutalo getting injured it probably means he remains in the HNL until the World Cup, Livakovic probably has no serious offers. They offloaded Andric to Ligue 1 side Clermont

Gorica signed Moussa Wague, his claim of fame is he actually played for Barcelona in select matches as recently as 2019 and played at the last World Cup for Senegal, but he spent the last few years on loan at France and Belgium. Still young enough to turn it around where Gorica can flip him for a good fee but Barca will get a percentage

·
Registered
70,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Inter Zapresic officially done, their youth teams will continue under a different name. Croatia Zmijavci will replace them in the second tier, a two leg playoff between Trnje (managed by Danijel Pranjic) and Posedarje will determine who replaces Zmijavci in the third tier

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Inter Zapresic officially done, their youth teams will continue under a different name. Croatia Zmijavci will replace them in the second tier, a two leg playoff between Trnje (managed by Danijel Pranjic) and Posedarje will determine who replaces Zmijavci in the third tier
Do you think Pranjic is on the weed?

• Haha
Reactions: dinamozagreb86
1 - 20 of 30 Posts