Xtratime Community banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
43,540 Posts
And wait, squad rotation? He's been a regular starter for a while now.
He should be in squad rotation. Too many turnovers to be a starter for a CL-qualifying team, imo. I assume that's what you want Inter to be.

·
Registered
57,649 Posts
Well Cancelo is linked to Real and Man U..

·
Registered
15,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
This is weird...

Because Inter had the cash to complete the Lautoro Martínez deal for €20m (even though Inter play with one untouchable striker in Icardi and already have a sub - Eder).... so the Cancelo deal could've easily been completed with the €25m received from Kondogbia + adding €10m.....
It is odd

But the problem is not necessarily that Inter don't have cash, just that they have to balance their books by June 30 to comply with FFP.

The Cancelo payment deadline is end of May. Inter will no doubt stump up the Lautaro Martinez cash after their FFP deadline for 2018

·
Registered
15,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Cancelo doesn't look that good. Why would you want to spend that much for him anyway?

They need a good backup for their front 3. Lautaro to serve that purpose.
He's not a great defender but he has transformed Inter's right flank

And his dead balls are excellent.

Lots of ability on the ball, great dribbler.

I would go to great lengths to keep him. To be honest, I would sell Icardi if it means keeping Rafinha, Cancelo and signing a decent winger

·
Registered
15,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Cancelo isn't very good though. He's on the money there. Fine for squad rotation but it seems he's not going to accept that.
You must have been watching a different player/club Firdmeister. He has been 1st choice since December or so.

Who the hell would actually replace him?

Admittedly he has been guilty of ball-watching several times, often gets caught out of position, and 1 in every 3 or 4 games he plays is an absolute stinker, HOWEVER his dead ball deliveries and dribbling are so good that he has to be kept at the club.

Adds a totally new dimension to Inter's right flank and set pieces.

·
Registered
15,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Just as a type he is centimetres away from another assist after a great set piece delivery against Udinese

·
Registered
15,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Think Fird is just saying he's only good enough to be a squad player not that he has been.
Bizarre idea since Inter have had only terrible fullbacks for the last 7 years. He is a massive upgrade on anything and everything we have had since Maicon left

·
Registered
15,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Fun fact: Roma just made 100 MILLION EUROS from their Champions League campaign.

That should guarantee that they finish above Inter again next season.

Let's just hope Lazio lose Milinkovic-Savic and ACM are sh*te so we can aim to scrape 4th place next season

·
Registered
43,540 Posts
Bizarre idea since Inter have had only terrible fullbacks for the last 7 years. He is a massive upgrade on anything and everything we have had since Maicon left
Zanetti was playing in the last 7 years but I know what you meant.

Sure, he's an upgrade on anyone we bought post-2010; that's not difficult. If we have CL ambitions, he will need to buck up a lot though and learn to be more humble (which is something Spalletti has indicated he isn't). I'm fine with paying for him provided he commits to that and of course the price matters too.

If not, Dalbert on the left, D'Ambrosio on the right.

·
Registered
15,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Zanetti was playing in the last 7 years but I know what you meant.
He was generally playing in midfield, but I know what you meant ;)

·
Registered
43,540 Posts
He was generally playing in midfield, but I know what you meant ;)
Doesn't mean he wasn't part of "anything and everything we have had since Maicon left" but I know what you meant. :lala:

·
Registered
15,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Doesn't mean he wasn't part of "anything and everything we have had since Maicon left" but I know what you meant. :lala:
A 37+ year old Zanetti (who was also way past his best) signed back in 1995 is in no way relevant to the discussion of Inter acquiring new fullbacks for the new era - this is just some obtuse lawyer's trick to make it seem like you had a valid point about Joao Cancelo not being a good enough fullback.

I'm obviously talking about the replacements drafted in for the likes of Zanetti, Maicon, Chivu etc. which is the salient point in this discussion. We are not talking about signings made back in the last millennium.

As you know Fird, the club has a dire track record here: Jonathan, Dodo, Nagatomo, Pereira, Montoya (LOL), Telles, Erkin, Ansaldi. Joao Cancelo is 10 times better than all of those combined and has probably cost us no more goals at right back than D'Ambrosio, despite being 10 times more effective as an attacking threat (see: his set pieces, dribbling etc.).

Signing the guy is really a no-brainer, except for the fact that Ausillio decided to not only give Valencia 30-40% percent discounts on Murillo and Kondogbia, he also allowed for a purchase option in the Cancelo agreement that Inter can't fulfil.

Long and short of it: You will have your wish Fird, and it will be back to D'Ambrosio's antics on the right side of defense, probably alongside a brand new Pereira / Ansaldi type player at left back to help us ship more goals.

The future's bright, the future's #Suning

·
Registered
43,540 Posts
Why so triggered, mayne?

That's why I said I know what you meant.

Regarding Cancelo, you may well be right. I agreed he an upgrade over what we've had post-Maicon (save for Zanetti, in spite of his age).

My point was that a team that's looking to get past the groups in the CL and maybe another round ought to have a player who does not commit so many turnovers. At present, he isn't up to the quality that sort of team would require. However, in terms of our resources, he does seem like our best shot, which is a bit disappointing. Maxwell from a decade or so ago could walk into this team and look like a beast. It's salt in the wound that we might not even be able to get Cancelo though.

The real moral of the story is...bring on the Dalbert.

·
Registered
15,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
At present, he isn't up to the quality that sort of team would require.
He's currently linked with Man U and Real Madrid at a price of 50 million euros.

We will most likely find out if he is up to CL quality this coming autumn.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts