Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Babbell is a cert, Heskey is seeming probable, Izzet is a rumour, along with a new left back, and then the SO CALLED BIG ONE, is supposed to be Zidane!
Personally I can't see Zidane at Anfield next Season, I hope, but I remain sceptical.
So we are up to 4th now, and still we have to do without Fowler, Owen, Redknapp, Heggem and Song!
If you ask me it is an extremely impressive achievement so far this season to be in 4th place at the end of January with the injuries to key players that we have sustained this season.
Combine that with the fact that we have had 6 new players playing and settling in, I have a feeling that had everyone been fit we'd have been at least 6 points better off so far this season!

Keep up the Good work Ged!

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
I agree,Houllier has done a great work but I'm a bit worried because I see Vegard Heggem and Jamie Carragher out of his plans for next season.Heggem is an exelent wingback and I will feel sorry if I see him leaving,why doesnt Houllier try him at midfield,I'm sure he is better than Thommo and Smicer...as for JC,he has a bad year so far but he is young and it will be a pity if a original Liverpool supporter like him left Anfield,he is useful as a back up...

Zidane...its just a dream but it would be REALLY great if he indeed join us...Who do you think should be our left back? Stig will be sold soon for around 500.000 and if I had to choose one of Dom and Staunton to stay I would choose Matteo,he is younger and better than Stan...

------------------
MARCIO AMOROSO!

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personally I'd let Caragher go out on loan somewhere to improve himself, he's way too liable to make a major mistake at present, the game against Man U for example, 2 own goals in one game is not overly inspiring! I would however keep him, as you say he is young, and will improve!
As for Heggem, I agree to an extent, I hope Heggem stays, he is a superb attacking fullback, but his defensive qualities are a little lacking. He has been injured for the last month or so, that is why he's not been able to get a chance, I'm sure he'd be playing fullback now with Song out on his trip with Cameroon, but fate conspired against him. Song however will be first choice this season as right back, he has those battling qualities and such a strong attitude, it is hard to dislike him, even if his passing could be better!
I'm certain that Smicer will come good, you have to remember he hasn't had a good time with injuries since he's been here (story of the season so far!!), and has shown glimpses of what he is capable of.
I agree with you, Zidane is on my wish list, not my realistic list! :)

I thought that Stan was a good player at the time we sod him, but since he's returned to us, he is more of a liability than Dom is! The only advantage that Stan has over Dom is that he can cross a ball better, but against him, he has to stop, roll the ball forward with his foot, then cross it.
I'd sell Staunton as well as Stig!
We need to sign a left back as soon as possible, as that is the weak link in our defence! I agree for now I'd play Dom, like Ged is doing! :)

What are your thoughts on the supposed loan signings? I'd love to see Baggio playing here! Ravenelli is not the choice for me, after all the problems he caused at Middlesboro!
I agree we need someone to cover for Fowler and Owen at the moment, just a case of who?

The midfield is worrying me at the moment, without Redknapp, we don't seem to have anyone to unlock a defence, other than Titi's sparks of brilliance!

Razor(UK)

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Hmm...even with Song out I dont think Vegard would get his chance,Houllier opted to use Gerrard at right back and I cant quite blame him since the young lad has been fantastic...Dont you think that Gerrard should be tryed at left back? I believe he will make it...Now,if Meijer can make it I think we dont need another forward since we can use one of the young players of the reserve team like Newby...the ideal loan player would be Litmanen but he is another dream as well...

Who will be our new left back? do you think Ben Thatcher is good enough? Also I heard Izeet is on his way...not bad at all!

------------------
MARCIO AMOROSO!

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I disagree, with all the injury problems we have at the moment, and with Thommo Suspended, I think a fit Heggem would be playing, and Gerrard alonside Hamman in the centre, with Berger and Smicer on the Left and Right respectively. I agree Houllier used Gerrard there, but I don't think he had a lot of choice, with Heggem injured and Song on international duty, it was Carragher or Gerrard.
I do however agree that Gerrard has been fantastic this season, an international call up seems on the cards! I wouldn't experiment with him at left back right now, we need him in Midfield, maybe with a fully fit squad it is an option to try him, but right now is not the time.
I like Meijer, he is always so commited to the cause and gives defenders no time on the ball, at the Boro game, he came on and immediately ran from one side of the pitch and slid in on a full back on the ball at the other side of the pitch. That is the type of commitment we need in the team! However I still feel we need a loan striker, I'd love to blood one of the youth strikers like Newby , but I believe that we need proven strikers for the forthcoming fixtures against Leeds, Arsenal, Man U and Sunderland. The time to blood Newby would be in a less intense time in our fixtures. The next 5 games could go a long way to deciding where we finish the season.

Funny you should mention Litmanen, he's another name linked heavily to us recently on loan from Barca, apparently he is having a nightmare time there so far, and maybe Sami Hyppia could help pursuade him???
I'd still like Baggio, but it seems unlikely with both Houllier and Baggio rubishing the transfer talk! :(
I don't think Ben Thatcher is good enough to play for Liverpool, he reminds me of Julian ***** when he was signed, a good hard commited player, but with little finesse and skill.
I'd rather see Houllier use his French connection and go for someone along the lines of Thuram (unlikely, but would be a dream!)

Muzzy Izzet I'm unconvinced over, he was shown the door at Chelsea, and yes is good for Leicester, but whether he would be an improvement on who we have at the moment, I doubt very much! Who's place would he take? For 4-5 million, he wouldn't be content with a place on the bench would he?

I'll go with whatever Houllier decides to do, since he seems ot know what he's up to at the moment, a few more quality players and we'll be challenging for honours next season!

Razor(UK)

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the players name is Julian D!cks from West Ham, geeez, I can't believe they used stars to get over his name! lol

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Izzet would be good because as we all know Redders is always injured,and Hamman is quite injury prone as well...we cant relie on Gerrard all the time.I'm convinced that Muzzy Izzet will be ideal for Liverpool...

But hey,we are going to make Leicester the richest club in england 5 for Izzet+8 for Heskey combine to a crazy 13 million pounds! lets hope they will give us the 500.000 we ask for Stig... ;)

------------------
MARCIO AMOROSO!

X

·
0 Posts
stig is reportedly moving to derby for 650,000...so far so gd!! :)

actually about heggem ,i think his offensive qualities are as outstanding as his defensive ones!!!
the only problem is that eh's out of form this season...and thompson is certainly playing impressively...as well as song
no way heggem is gonna get back in 1st team unless he gets back to 100% fitness

he is one of the very rare players who i've seen being able to completely master ryan giggs and marc overmars!!!and that is no easy task...the last defender who i've seen being able to master giggs in a whole match was "the duke" ..u guys know him??i think he was playing at west ham..

and then gerard is outstanding too...iv'e heard that he's better than gary neville &is gonna replace him!!!
i think ..or maybe i should say...i KNOW HE IS BETTER THAN G.NEVILLE!!!

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Honestly guys,I see Gerrard fighting with Dyer for the england right back position in the Europian Championship.Garry Neville is nothing compared with these two...

Stig to Derby for 650.000? great! :)

------------------
MARCIO AMOROSO!

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sorry but I don't think Heggems defensive qualities are a patch on Song's! Going forward though, and Song can't touch him! I think the only reason Heggem had Giggs and Overmars under control, is that they had to deal with him going forward, something that neither Overmars or Giggs are particularly good at!
The last Player I remember keeping Giggs in his pocket, so to speak, was Rob Jones on his Debut in 1989 at Old Trafford, he'd just (litterely days ago) signed from Crewe Alex, and was immediately put into the first team. Giggs never touched the ball that afternoon, and but for bad injuries, he'd still be our and Englands number one choice at right back!

I hope we don't give Leicester all our money this summer, not sure on how good Heskey is either, I mean his goal ration is not the best, and yes he'll add more power, pace and Strength to the team, but we are lacking goals right now!

Gerrard has been outstanding this season, in any role that Houllier has employed him, kind of reminds me of Stevie Nicol in his prime, so versatile and so profficient in any position he's asked to play!

I agree about Neville though, he is the most over-rated Defender in England, his younger brother is a better player!

I hope Stig does go to Derby, but they are at present denying putting in any bid (according to Skysports yesterday)!

Razor

X

·
0 Posts
about heskey,i don;t doubt his qualities at all
it's just that i find it expensive to spend 8m on a single player..even hamann

what i like about him is that his style is different from owen's and fowler's
he is much more a creative sort player and more powerful too
i think he can even play as playmaker!
he plays a bit like erik meijer...

anyway about rob jones,yeah he was a gd player and he was even in the england 1st team and considered as one of the best
during his last return from injury ,i found him quite impressive but too bad he had to en dhis career and that he was dodged by injuries all thoughout!!

no i think gary neville is a gd defender but nothing moew..i mean his passes really suck and his crossing even worse!!!he never moves forward!!
phillip neville sucks in defence but is much better in midfield which is his natural posiiton...

anyway i thinkkgerard is much much better than both of them whether it be in defence or midfield...

well i just hope hyppia is gonna convince jari to come here now!

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree that Heskey will add a different dimension to the attack, and maybe with more quality players around him, his goal ration will increase!

For backup at left wing, how about Steve Guppy? I used to go and watch Port Vale play when he was there, and his crossing has always been superb, we'd probably get him for 2-3 million as well, which is not a bad price for a winger who can cover at the back as well.

I hate seeing G. Neville in the England team, whenever he has the ball, you just know he's going to lob it forward to Shearer or one of the opposition, never passes it to a midfielder, just a long punt up the field! He's not good enough to play international football, you need to keep possesion at that level, and that is one of his key weaknesses!

As we've all said Gerard is certainly an exceptional player, and has the ability to pass, tackle, and score goals. This makes him ideal as an attacking fullback.
Dyer is surely his only competition at the right side of defence in the England team!

Razor

X

·
0 Posts
isn't dyer a winger????
i didn't know he could play in defence..

anyway about Gneville i like his defensive capabilities but nothing more than that!!
i would say he's a gd defender but not very very gd!!
many ppl have already said gerard is gonna get that right back spot!!!!
especially that neville is not in great form right now...even if neville was in great form gerard should have that right back position
or else kegan should play him in midfield!!

about left wing spot,i like guppy but i think we shoud get someone even better!!!!!
and a real winger!!berger is not a real winger,...he should play behind the 2 attackers in centre....

anyway we already have partridge who is said to be the next ryan giggs!!!!

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Guppy wouldnt be bad...however,I dont want to see the whole Leicester City moving to Liverpool...a nice back up player on the left would be West Ham's Steve Lomas,maybe too expensive however...

------------------
MARCIO AMOROSO!

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
xax said:
and then gerard is outstanding too...iv'e heard that he's better than gary neville &is gonna replace him!!!
i think ..or maybe i should say...i KNOW HE IS BETTER THAN G.NEVILLE!!!

Doesn't it look really funny now? :D

Sorry for bouncing up old threads but i have always wanted to see Razor's first post on Xtratime.. ;)

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wondered where this thread had come from. I didn't remember starting a Summer transfers post recently!:D

I was just thinking someone had hacked my account! :D:D

Thanks for giving me a heart attack Raanan! ;):D

Razor

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Great post to start, Razor. It really shows your maturity.;)

paw;)

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think you'll find it's not my first ever post, just that Jan has deleted the older ones!:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts