Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from the OS

POMPEY COMPLETE CLUB RECORD SIGNING OF MUNTARI

Portsmouth Football Club today announced their third acquisition of the summer with a new club record signing in the form of Ghanaian international Sulley Muntari for an undisclosed fee.

Muntari, 22, has signed a five-year contract until 2012 and joins from Italian side Udinese. A left-footed central midfielder, Muntari has been a regular for Ghana alongside Michael Essien and Stephen Appiah since making his debut against Slovenia in 2002. He starred for his country in the 2006 World Cup and scored in a 2-0 victory against the Czech Republic and now has 26 caps and eight goals.

At 16 Muntari was already an integral part of the Ghana under-20 team and was a prominent member of the 2001 side that finished runners up of the FIFA World Youth Championship that year. The following season he signed for Udinese and after a season in the reserves was introduced to the big stage with a debut in the San Siro against AC Milan. Since that time the midfield man has completed over 100 games for the Italian club.

Pompey manager Harry Redknapp said of Muntari: "I first saw him at the World Cup against Brazil and he was the best player on the pitch. I've watched him three times since and he has been very impressive.

"We tried to get him in the last two transfer windows but Udinese didn't want to sell so we are delighted he's finally coming to Fratton Park. He's got a great left-foot and has great energy with the ability to run all day and, he's a good passer of the ball too. Ghana have one of the best midfields in the world and he's a regular fixture in their side. He's a player with a big future."

Muntari said: "Portsmouth is a fantastic club with class players such as Pedro Mendes, Sol Campbell, David James and Kanu and a great manager in Harry Redknapp, who is also a great man. I have been a Pompey supporter ever since they first wanted me a year ago and I've watched as many games as I could. The fans are great and they really love their football. I'm really looking forward to playing in front of them and helping the club make a push for European competition."

Pompey's previous record transfer fee was the £4.4m paid to Auxerre for Benjani Mwaruwari in January 2006.

Muntari joins Sylvain Distin and Hermann Hreidarsson as the latest addition to the Fratton Park squad.
AT LAST :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :party: :party: :party: :party:

i'm off to knock one out, so much tension to relieve :howler:

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just seems so bizarre to see us spending 7 mil on someone, doesnt seem that long ago since Rory Allen became our first million pound player

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
DavidSilk24 said:
i'm off to knock one out, so much tension to relieve :howler:
:howler: :howler:

I hope we get a signing that's that good :)

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I decided to resist in the end, just ran around my house instead

if we sign a decent striker however..... :D

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
according to reports from italy, they claim that muntari will join Inter for 15m on friday...

·
Registered
399 Posts
Gutted!!
If we have to sell to balance the books then it would jave been easier to cash in and replace Kranky, Muntari is far more important.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
It would be a shame if you let him go. His a fantastic physical specimen, but his footballing brain and technically aspects are ordinary. His first touch is ok, it let's him down alot of times, while his passing is very erratic, misses the simplest passes at times. Also, he is very irrational, his disciple is atrocious. He is a young player at the moment and will improve those aspects of his game, down the road, i'm sure he will become a brilliant box to box midfielder.

At the moment, Diarra is the better player and since you will most likely play 4-4-2, you could get a creative CM next to him, or maybe Mendes can recover his form. Knowing Harry, he will play Bouba Diop :D

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
He's a good player, but the kind of money Inter are willing to pay for him is insane. You can replace him with someone as good easily for half and still have half to put towards the SWP dream.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sad to see him go but to make almost a 6m profit after the inconsistent season he had can only be good business for the club. Had incredibly high hopes when we signed him last summer but in most of his games he never really lived up to them.

Agree about his passing Blaz, picking someone out 50+ yards away one minute before screwing up the most basic of passes the next. The amount of times he was caught in possession last year was obscene and he never played well with he far superior midfield teammate Lassie.

Would've been interesting to see if he could improve those aspects of his game this season but the fee offered is too good to turn down atm, and I trust twitchy to bring in at least three decent players with it

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
deal finally completed on Monday

MUNTARI JOINS INTER MILAN

Sulley Muntari has joined Italian champions Inter Milan in a four-year deal.

The 23-year-old Ghana midfielder heads back to Italy after just one season with Pompey.

Blues boss Harry Redknapp bought Muntari from Udinese last summer and he made 33 appearances for the Blues, scoring five goals.

He hit two memorable long-range strikes in Pompey’s 3-1 victory at Aston Villa last December, but will be best remembered on the south coast for scoring the winning penalty as the Blues dumped Manchester United out of the FA Cup at Old Trafford.

Muntari also netted in Premier League wins against Reading and Birmingham and he played the whole 90 minutes when Pompey beat Cardiff in the FA Cup final at Wembley in May.

And Redknapp had nothing but praise for the midfielder as he headed for the Fratton Park exit door.

“I’m very disappointed to let him go,” said the Blues boss. “He’s a terrific player and was a great signing for us. He’s a really nice lad as well.

“He can’t be a bad player – Inter Milan don’t buy bad players.

“He helped us to achieve what we did last year.

“He had some great moments for us like scoring against United in the cup and those two great goals against Villa. I thought he was generally terrific all year.

“But Inter Milan have come in and made a big offer which allows us to strengthen the team in a couple of other positions.

“We need that. I still feel we’re a few players short if we want to do as well as we did last season.”
It was only a season but thanks forever for keeping your cool when it mattered Sulley

[tub]n9ja4nsBDh0[/tub]

and for being part of the best day of my life :proud:

·
Registered
399 Posts
great post silky.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Muntari was good last season and I think given another season could have become one of the leagues top box to box players. He has all the ability to do so. Very powerful, hardworking and agressive in the tackler and like you said could play lovely long balls.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts