Xtratime Community banner

Who has the best mercato?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16,825 Posts
I love what everyone has done. The managers are fitting well at each top team: Montella with Fiorentina, Mazzari with Inter, Benitez with Napoli (nice 4-2-3-1), Conte with Juve, Garcia with Roma (biggest question mark.

Napoli replaced Cavani who I think is overrated with a very very good target man in Higuain. They also get useful players like Mertens. Benitez dropped Cannavaro. Benitez changed system and it seems he knows what he is doing with this team.

Inter got a very very good Serie A manager. Things are falling back in place. They didn't make very many transfers but getting Campagnaro will be very useful as he adds bravery, leadership and determination to this team (looks like a nutcase as well, but isn't one). Inter changes to a very solid system with good fitness.

Juve got Tevez which is very good. They are another team like Inter who are reeping what they sewed last year. They continue with the same solid system.

Roma replaced Lamella with Gervinho and Ljalic. That is alright. You still wonder how they will replace Totti though.

It is too early to say whether Milan failed by not selling El Sharaawi. He would do better in the EPL. Otherwise, they kept Robinho which I always thought was what they should do. They got Matri instead of a defender or midfielder, which was perhaps bizarre, but I must respect Allegri's wishes, especially if he saw his attack was missing a focal point.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Fiorentina.

·
Banned
9,221 Posts
Juventus: Did well imo, getting the players that really mattered in 2 quality strikers, without overpaying. Ogbonna is not a bad deal either and they got a good price for a crappy Matri. Will be clearly stronger than last season.

8/10

Napoli: Im really not that impressed with how they spent the Cavani money. Madrid took them to the cleaners for Higuain. Reina and Albiol seems like silly signings. Callejon, Mertens and Armero should be decent. Overall, they spent 75m€ and i think it could have been spent better. Keeping Hamsik is a big plus though and if Benitez doesnt **** it all up, they should be stronger than last season.

6.5/10

Fiorentina: Gomez was a big coup, but on the other hand they sold Jovetic and Ljajic. Im not not particularly impressed tbh. I suppose its decent for a club of their stature. Perhaps marginally stronger compared to last season.

6/10

Lazio: Didnt do a whole lot, but Bigla, felipe anderson and Candreva is not bad at all, they surely should have bought a decent striker though, Klose wont last all season. They managed to keep hold of Hernanes which is good.

5.5/10

Roma: Lamela, Marquinhos and Osvaldo out and in with a whole bunch of quantity players. They only spent 2/3 of the cash they got from sales, but i think they could have done better with it. Their forward/striker options looks pretty bad.

5/10

Milan: Pretty rubbish mercato from this Milano club as well. I actually think Kaka will do quite well though, Poli also seems to have started reasonably there. Rest of their moves are meaningless along with overpaying for Matri.

3/10

Inter: Didnt sign a single starter apart from Campagnaro who was a free transfer. Overpayed big time in the 3 co-ownership deal for Icardi, Belfodil and Taider. Why a team that finished 9th last season only gets one single new starter is quite mindblowing. A couple of silly loans for useless players like Wallace and Rolando also, combined with yet another summer of failing to get rid of the trash like Chivu and unwanted players like Kuzmanovic. No real change in squad quality, now we have to see what Mazzarri can do with it.

2/10

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Sabatini is damn lucky Milan couldn't afford Ljajic, otherwise Roma's mercato would have been really sad. Disappointing to see the rest of money made on that not spent. Many of the holes from last year remain, but thankfully, Garcia is playing smarter to cover them.

·
Registered
23,824 Posts
Sabatini is damn lucky Milan couldn't afford Ljajic, otherwise Roma's mercato would have been really sad. Disappointing to see the rest of money made on that not spent. Many of the holes from last year remain, but thankfully, Garcia is playing smarter to cover them.
Afford? More like wouldn't spend that much for someone on an outgoing contract. We spent more on Matri, which we have less use for and is 7-8 years older...

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
No one really stands out. There are few who did ok and others who plain and simple sucked.

- Napoli:
They are overall better and have considerably strengthened their depth. But after spending 85 mil you can't help but feel the money could've been spent better. Higuain is a great deal no matter what some people say. But the rest are just decent at best. Why not spend some money on the defence when it is clearly a weakness? Abiol for 12 mil is a joke. And who oh why would you let De Sanctis go for 0.5 mil and get a clown like Reina on loan to replace him?

- Juve:
Tevez saved their market, amazing player and a missing piece. Ogbonna was overpriced and kinda useless. Didn't strengthen any other areas. One would wonder if they should've spent on upgrading their wide players or finding a replacement for Pirlo. But why fix it when it is not broken. Ended the mercato with +5 mil, but could've done better in the selling department offloading more deadwood.

- Inter:
They are lucky they have Mazzarri who will get the best our of their average squad. They complain about lack of money then they go on and spend fortune on no bodies and gambles. Everyone knows, including your mother probably, how much Mazzarri depends on wingbacks and they get him no one reliable there. I admit I gave up trying to understand what's their transfer policy.

-Milan:
Who needs transfers when you can win imaginary Pk's as needed. Exactly. They just proved that point. They wasted their summer tapping up players and complaining about lack of money then spent 11 freaking mil on a player they don't need when their squad is full of holes. They continue with their interesting fetish signing anyone who wear Inter shirt no matter how shit they are hoping they'd miraculously succeed so they can tease Morratti about it. Problem is it is not the 90's any more and Inter stopped signing top talents some time ago. So they basically sign the shit of the shit Inter couldn't digest. Then they continue with their other fetish being the retirement home for ex ballon d'or and sign Kaka.

The rest later.

·
Don
902 Posts
Napoli 8/10; They got in Benitez and allowed him to build the team how he wants. Early signs are he knows what he's doing and I expect them to overall be a better team than last season. Higuain, Hamsik, Insigne, Callejon all suit Benitez usual 4-2-3-1 and I wouldnt be surprised if Higuain, Hamsik and Callejon go on to play the best football of their career so far.
Juventus 7.5/10; We got the missing link in a top forward (Tevez) and 3 in 3 competitive games is a great start for him. Ogbonna was a good addition for depth too as was ridding of some deadwood. Keeping Isla was a good move too. Why I score us lower than Napoli is I feel we should have attempted to close the gap between us and Europe's top tier as has been mentioned. Could have made signings with a 4-man backline in mind too but Conte knows what he's doing so I'll judge him come the 2nd half of the season (CL KO's provided we make it ).
Fiorentina 7/10; They lost Jovetic and Ljajic which is a big minus but they brought in Gomez and Rossi, less fantasy but more goals by those two I'd predict. Keeping Cuadrado was key and the midfield remaining as it was. Perhaps they could have strengthened the defence.
Roma 6/10; Losing the two youngsters Lamela and Marquinhos is a step backward in their project. But bringing in Strootman, Benatia, Maicon, Gervinho, Ljajic isn't half bad. On top that a manager with a clear idea of what he wants, early signs are that he could get Maicon, De Rossi and Pjanic performing again.
Milan 5/10; I dont know why the defence wasn't strengthened, really weird considering how much was spent on Matri. On the other hand they have Kaka who though nowhere near as explosive as the 03-09 version will offer some creativity and shoulder that burden with Montolivo. Poli is a tidy player too.

I dont know much about Lazio's transfer dealings, keeping Hernanes was a plus and as for Inter I wouldnt know what to make of their mercato, on paper it looks terrible but with Mazarri and no distraction of European football one could give them a low grade and they end up closer to the top of the table so...

·
Registered
17,495 Posts
Napoli: 6.5/10. Higuain was somewhat overpriced, but he is a very good striker and will come good. The rest of their purchases are a bit underwhelming, but i suppose they compliment an already very good starting line-up. They lose most of their points on not strengthening their defense properly and Pepe Reina.

But they are good enough to compete, and that's what's important.

Juventus: 7/10. Llorente and Tevez for a combined 15m is pretty good business, although it remains to be seen whether Llorente in particular will work out. Ogbonna i think is good cover, he just needs some time to adapt. Still lack a class attacking winger/wingback to take the team to the next level, and a bit thin on back up in midfield. Selling Matri and Giaccherini for good sums also brings the score up though.

All in all, good hustle.

Fiorentina: 8/10. Very good mercato, sold an underperforming Jovetic for 30m, brought in Gomez, a proven goalscorer and German international for relatively cheap fee of 20m, 5m of which is in bonuses. Brought in G.Rossi previously, lost Ljajic but still managed to sell him for 15m with only a year left on his contract, brought Illicic in to replace him for less.

I think they've punch quite a fair bit above their weight with recent transfers, and i factor that into their score.

Roma: 7/10, initially i thought they lacked a bit of ambition by selling two prized assets, but they got good money for them, and ended up strengthening well. Selling Lamela for 30m and replacing him with Ljajic for 15m is good business. Every signing is a class one, and even Gervinho i find an interesting addition. Maicon for peanuts was an ingenious move and could prove the best one of the summer. But they lose a whole mark for not getting a striker to replace Osvaldo.

Milan: 6/10. I think the moves they made were good, i just don't think they made enough of them. Kaka for 4m a year on a free transfer is great, and many people think Matri sucks, but i have a feeling he will repay Allegri's faith in him. He's a system player, and if he's being used in the right way, he will score goals consistently.

But honestly, given their shoe-string budget, they've managed to create a very good side in spite of that, with quality throughout. It's just the lack of a solid central defense which makes them look a bit unconvincing.

Inter: 4/10, lots of overpaying for players who are young and unproven like Icardi and Belfodi. Still lack quite a bit of quality in midfield and at the back.

Lazio didn't really do enough on the mercato to receive a rating, but they kept everyone. However, didn't address their defensive frailties and didn't bring in a striker to compensate for their over-reliance on Klose.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
No one really stands out. There are few who did ok and others who plain and simple sucked.

- Napoli:
They are overall better and have considerably strengthened their depth. But after spending 85 mil you can't help but feel the money could've been spent better. Higuain is a great deal no matter what some people say. But the rest are just decent at best. Why not spend some money on the defence when it is clearly a weakness? Abiol for 12 mil is a joke. And who oh why would you let De Sanctis go for 0.5 mil and get a clown like Reina on loan to replace him?

- Juve:
Tevez saved their market, amazing player and a missing piece. Ogbonna was overpriced and kinda useless. Didn't strengthen any other areas. One would wonder if they should've spent on upgrading their wide players or finding a replacement for Pirlo. But why fix it when it is not broken. Ended the mercato with +5 mil, but could've done better in the selling department offloading more deadwood.

- Inter:
They are lucky they have Mazzarri who will get the best our of their average squad. They complain about lack of money then they go on and spend fortune on no bodies and gambles. Everyone knows, including your mother probably, how much Mazzarri depends on wingbacks and they get him no one reliable there. I admit I gave up trying to understand what's their transfer policy.

-Milan:
Who needs transfers when you can win imaginary Pk's as needed. Exactly. They just proved that point. They wasted their summer tapping up players and complaining about lack of money then spent 11 freaking mil on a player they don't need when their squad is full of holes. They continue with their interesting fetish signing anyone who wear Inter shirt no matter how shit they are hoping they'd miraculously succeed so they can tease Morratti about it. Problem is it is not the 90's any more and Inter stopped signing top talents some time ago. So they basically sign the shit of the shit Inter couldn't digest. Then they continue with their other fetish being the retirement home for ex ballon d'or and sign Kaka.

The rest later.
Kaka could have a renaissance. Old bums like Totti and Di Natale are still playing well so Kaka should be fine. lol

·
Registered
12,131 Posts
napoli's and fiorentina's mercati were decent, but juve's and roma's better, and fiorentina's was better than napoli's. fio and napoli would fall under "the OK."

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
napoli's and fiorentina's mercati were decent, but juve's and roma's better, and fiorentina's was better than napoli's. fio and napoli would fall under "the OK."
I can buy that. We didn't do much at all to strengthen the defense, which along with a vice Pizarro, was our biggest need. I think the hope is it that our back line will improve as with another season together and another year of coaching under Montella's belt. Continuity.

Rebic could be our surprise player of the season as I think he will spell Gomez a lot.

We should score buckets of goals.

·
Registered
12,131 Posts
I can buy that. We didn't do much at all to strengthen the defense, which along with a vice Pizarro, was our biggest need. I think the hope is it that our back line will improve as with another season together and another year of coaching under Montella's belt. Continuity.

Rebic could be our surprise player of the season as I think he will spell Gomez a lot.

We should score buckets of goals.
yes, the goal-leaking issue needed addressing i thought. most importantly, the team needs a dm/b2b or a vice-pizarro-like player like you said but one who can also start instead of aquilani in certain games, if not all games, and offer more defensive protection. a better gk than neto would also have been better. and i also feel that fiorentina can do with another CB of the same class as gonzalo rodriguez.

you've conceded 5 goals in 4 games against smaller teams so far this season, and the trend from the 2nd half of last season continues. like you said, they might improve with continuity, but it'll prolly be marginal improvement imo.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts