Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wally started the speculating about who Feyenoord might pick up for next season in the Winter transfer thread, so I thought we may as well begin the Summer thread.

With Arne Slot picking up the trainer duties in the Summer, I was wondering who he might entice to move over from AZ.

Wally suggested that Feyenoord are looking at Jonas Svensson at right back.

How about Jesper Karlsson for right wing, to replace Berghuis after his big-money move to Turkey or Saudi Arabia? (Teak speculation = Teakulation).

·
Registered
59,402 Posts
Karlsson, why not, although we'll probably look at bosmans or bargain buys first. AZ won't let him go for 2m either.

Berghuis indeed probably will be looking at such a move. He's approaching 30, so should be in Olympiakos' age range too.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Have no idea what Berghuis' plans are, but I'd guess if he wants one more adventure as a player, this would be the time to do it. I wouldn't be surprised if he'd be happy with a smaller (non-captain, try-to-do-everything) role for a change, but again I'm not Berghuis so I don't know.

Will be interesting to see what sorts of transfer rumors surface over the coming months. Right back is one position if indeed Geertruida wants to play CB. I'd be fine if we'd try to make him our starting right side CB, he's done well there before. But I think he'd benefit from a Senesi or Vlaar type commanding CB beside him, and not sure who that'd be. But if we're planning on making Geertruida a CB, then we don't really need Spajic. I'd just keep Botteghin as a stand-in and try to get a proper replacement for Senesi. If Geertruida is fine to play RB, we're fine in that department with Geertruida and Nieuwkoop in my opinion.

I have no idea about midfield. Fer and Diemers are fine in my view, but I'm not at all sure about the rest. I think Toornstra is supposed to be a back up, and he's fine as such. But I still don't know if Kökcu is good enough for his role, and I have no confidence in Teixeira staying fit (he's also a pure attacking midfielder, for better or worse). To replace Kökcu and Teixeira with someone like Stengs would be great.

For attack, if Berghuis goes we'll need someone to replace him. Left flank is fine. Striker...unless things get a lot better in the spring, I'd try to offload Jorgensen and get rid of Pratto and get a proper replacement. If things don't pick up for Jorgi, this is probably the most urgent area.

Goalkeeping wise we're fine.

·
Registered
59,402 Posts
Agree that we'll need someone at the back who can coach the others. That's actually been a criticism of the Senesi - Spajic combination. Botteghin, now back in the team, is a Dutch speaker. Don't know how much of it is true though, as Spajic, regardless of which languages he speaks, has had a couple of poorer games too.

I'd be surprised to see anyone pay the money we'd want for Jorgi. His price tag has obviously gone down from 15 to probably 3 or 4m by now, but as we saw in the January transfer window, hardly any club has money to spend. So many loan deals and Corona won't be gone by the summer.
It won't be annoying to see Jorgi stay though provided he shows the same as in the past month. A fit Bozenik will also be challenging him for a start, at least next season when the new manager might also have more faith in him. Pratto needs to quickly show something or he might soon be getting less time from the bench.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
I've thought Bozenik is just a really bad, big version of Pippo Inzaghi - can't imagine he'd be able to challenge even Pratto.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wally, whatever happened to Conteh? Still injured? Since Jong Feyenoord have not been playing, what are the chances that Feyenoord keep Conteh around?

·
Registered
59,402 Posts
Conteh is back on the bench of the first team, but he'll probably hardly get any minutes with Linssen, Sinisterra and Advocaat's friend Haps in front of him.
4 months of a lot of time on the bench for him unless he can find an Austrian, Swiss or Eastern European club to get loaned out to as the transfer windows are still open there. That (the loan) I think will be unlikely.

·
Registered
59,402 Posts
First incoming transfer of the summer on its way. The club website hasn't yet got it on, but the papers reported as if it was a done deal: Guus Til on a 1 year loan deal from Spartak Moscow.
He has hardly played this season at Freiburg. Did a bit at Spartak in the 2019/20 season. At just 23 and with his old manager in charge of us next season, Arne Slot, you can understand why it's happening.

Don't know if I mentioned it yet, but Bart Nieuwkoop is joining newly promoted Union SG for next season. They come from Brussels. Had to google that one. He joins them on a bosman.

Eric Botteghin should definitely leave us this summer. He's given his farewell speech already in interviews and is looking for a club abroad. Brazil or maybe somewhere else.

Martin Fraisl, now at ADO, is being linked to us as the new replacement for the Miami bound Marsman. Bosman free if he does join.

Other than that, I haven't read about anything yet that seems concrete. Oh yeah, Sven van Beek on a bosman to Udinese, but that was a rumour from 2 weeks back.

Reactions: rkrichardson

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like Guus Til had a good season with AZ back in 2018-2019. He scored 12 goals in 33 matches. Nothing with 1.B Freiburg, but 4 goals in 4 matches with the Regional League Freiburg II. Slot will likely resurrect Mr. Til's career.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Can't say I know anything about Til, he wasn't on my radar at all when he played for AZ. Freiburg are a midtable team and I suppose Til is competing with Grifo for spot in the starting line-up - that's pretty tough competition I reckon. I guess we're expecting some departures in the attacking-minded midfielder department, otherwise this acquisition wouldn't make that much sense? I do hope this guy is an improvement over what we have because though our midfield is not great, an attacking midfielder is surely behind a striker and a CB (to replace the departing Senesi, Botteghin, Van Beek and Spajic - jesus, that's all our CBs) in urgency?

Also, all the best to Marsman to Miami. Hope he does well. He's been a great back-up keeper. Good on Nieuwkoop as well. Sort-of, kind-of good enough, but worse than our also-good-enough other options for RB. Hope he gets regular time on the pitch there (he really should).

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I don't know how successful Feyenoord can be in the future with such an under performing midfield trio. Maybe they need a different formation, like 3-4-2-1, with speedy wingbacks who can get forward to send in crosses, and come back to form a 5-man defensive wall.

I suspect that Fer will stay on, but be relegated to the bench by Slot. Toornstra could be a starter, but likely not Diemers. Kokcu will probably take a big money move away. He has looked good in the last two matches, but then again the opponents were not Ajax, PSV, AZ, or Vitesse.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Yeah, I think you make a good point about Kökcu. He looks good occasionally, but usually against minnows. I think a big money move might be a good solution for both Feyenoord and him at the moment. I think Diemers is just as good (and he too is inconsistent and often looks nervous in big games). Köcku does score the occasional long shot, but very often he fires it out of the stadium. I think Toornstra as a starter is problematic as well unless we get an El Ahmadi level midfielder somehow (Diemers is a similar type but just not as good). To me Jens looks like he's lost a bit of pace and energy, though his shot and finishing are obviously still good. I don't think Advocaat managed to find a decent role for him, and I think that seemed to have been a problem for the entire midfield. It's possible the current line-up would be good enough with a different manager. Remember the differences in player performances between Been and Koeman? Been sent El Ahmadi to the Gulf because he didn't think KEA wasn't good enough 😃 Enter Koeman, and KEA was the best midfielder in the league. Anyway, I digress.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If we qualify for the Europa Conference League (UECL), with the minnows of Europe (Hello Kazakhstan!), the next season would start at the end of July with the 2nd qualifying round of the UECL. That gives Arne only two months from NOW to assemble a decent squad.

Considering how long it has taken us in the past to get a decent striker, I hope Feyenoord are working feverishly behind the scenes to find replacements for Jorgensen and Bozenik. I don't think I can go through another season with the squad playing around the striker and not through him.

·
Registered
59,402 Posts
That would be nice to already have the squad assembled by July. Only we'll of course be reliant on the buying clubs for Senesi and Kokcu to get things in motion.

Curious to see if we'll see incoming bosmans at least before July. A lot of rebuilding looks set to be done this summer. Looking at the changes Arnesen is making at the club (scouting and youth level), it would seem illogical too if we were to only see a few incoming and outgoing transfers. As a fan, it's definitely not going to be a boring time.

Reactions: Clocker

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Yeah. We'll see just what kinds of changes. Hard to tell what to expect in many ways. Like, Slot is a bit of a wild card really. He's only managed AZ right? Really can't tell much on that basis. I hope we don't see too many blatantly idealistic purchases like Liam Kelly etc. with Stam. It would be nice to find out some of our own youngsters can be given some responsibility on the pitch. And to at least get one striker who gets involved and scores some goals.

·
Registered
59,402 Posts
Yeah, only AZ. Pundits like his insistence on fitness and movement.

Rumours today which VI spread is that Willem II's Pavlidis is on our shortlist to replace whoever is sold up front.

26 year old left footed Argentinian central defender Alexander Barboza who plays for Paraguayan club Libertad is said to be on the shortlist to replace Senesi once he's sold.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rumours today which VI spread is that Willem II's Pavlidis is on our shortlist to replace whoever is sold up front.

26 year old left footed Argentinian central defender Alexander Barboza who plays for Paraguayan club Libertad is said to be on the shortlist to replace Senesi once he's sold.
Pavlidis is only 22; nice. He scored 12 goals in 34 Eredivisie matches this season, and 11 goals in 25 matches last season. Stated that he is "both" footed, which means he will score when a one-footed player (Berghuis) would try to switch to the shooting foot, giving the defense a chance to block it. I like two-footed strikers.

Barboza is 26 and only played 13 matches (1 goal) for Libertad in the Paraguayan first division. Before that he played in the Argentine first division. Good experience. Hopefully we can get big Euros for Senesi and bring Barboza in much cheaper. I wouldn't mind if Feyenoord becomes a half-way house for top-notch South American defenders who are ultimately on their way to Italy or Spain.

I still think fondly of the days when we could attract a Julio Cruz or Pablo (Vitamina) Sanchez into our attack. Sinisterra hopefully will convince Feyenoord to continue searching SA for more attackers.

·
Registered
59,402 Posts
AZ are said to also want Pavlidis. We'll see what happens.

Would definitely not mind Feyenoord becoming a half-way house. Also to Zenit :p

Mark van Bommel is reportedly going to take over at Wolfsburg and as he fancied getting Berghuis during his tenure at PSV, papers are saying that he'll make Berghuis a target with a buyout clause of just 4 million euros.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Latest rumours have both Tottenham and Arsenal interested in Kokcu. Let them get into a bidding war!!

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just confirming what Wally reported above.

Who can we buy with that 4 million? Can we pick up another 18-goal scorer?

Wolfsburg signed Mark van Bommel as the new trainer so that would explain it. Dutch coaches usually look to see which Dutch players they can bring along with. Look at Ronald Koeman at Barcelona: loading up with Dutch NT players.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts