Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 426 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
summer transfers

I was just wondering what everyone thinks our summer transfer plans should be.

Everyone keeps talking about us and Van Bommell, but personally I don't think he is really needed. In midfield we already have good players like Pires, Vieira, Parlour, Freddie, Edu, and Van Bronkrost, with Pennant hopefully soon catching up. If we were to buy anybody for central midfield I would want it to be Dunn from Blackburn. In fact, we should get rid of the Japanese lad (whose name escapes me), and definitely Grimandi. The Japanese player cost 5 million pounds and has done crap, while Grimandi has looked quite poor whenever I've seen him play this season.

I think if we do anything it should be reasses our strikers. Kanu is useless, and I have just never been a huge fan of Wiltords. With Henry, veteran Bergkamp, and promising youngster Jeffers, I think we should sell Kanu and Wiltord, and maybe try to tempt someone like Craig Bellamy. Very quick and skillful, I think he would combine well with Thierry and arsenal's speedy play.

In defence, Cole Campbell and Lauren all are certain starters for next year. But who will be the fourth? How many more seasons do Adams and Keown have? And how good is upson? When Adams and Keown leave I think we should buy someone like Ball from Rangers, and formerly of Everton. Young and English, he could be a smart buy. In goal, when Seaman is gone I think Wright will turn out to be a solid purchase.

my future team:

Henry Bellamy
Pires Vieira Parlour Freddie
Cole Ball Campbell Lauren
Wright

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I think we should sell Kanu, Inamoto, Grimandi.
I want Wiltord to stay. I think he has been great this season.
I hope we buy Hofland to replace Adams.
We don't need Van Bommel, I would like to see Edu play more frequently next season.
We need another striker and I thnik David Trezeguet is th player we have been missing since Wrighty left, he is a natural goalscorer.
We don't need another keeper, we already have Wright and Taylor.

My future team;

==========Wright
Lauren==Hofland==Campbell==Cole
=Freddie==Vieira==Edu==Pires=
=====Trezeguet==Henry

·
Registered
171 Posts
Let me dare say we don't need another striker :) , we already have enough of them, plus Pennant (who can play similar to Henry but on the right) & Aliadiere who is typical central striker. I hope we bring in someone who can play well on defense and on midfield like Brett Emerton, Danny Mills, Lucio, since we will be depleted of these type of players at the start of the season (GvB, Upson, Dixon...)

·
Registered
629 Posts
At the present moment, Arsenal need not re-shuffle the squad that much. Grimandi is leaving, so the midfield department definitely has a vacancy, my opt would be Davids or Ballack...and of course Bommel

As for the striking deparment, if Wiltord is willing to leave Highbury for an exchange with Trezeguet, I don't mind. Quite a lethal striking force I should say, however, it's not gonna happen...

They only changes that I would like to see next season is the increase of the number of appearance for youngsters like pennant, Volz...etc. I don't like the idea of Wenger putting them up for first 11 in a state of emergency... (Appearance of Taylor is a good example, he suddenly pop up when both keepers were injured.) Thus, such situation will be too tense for amatuers to handle. Wenger should expose them more often....

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I would love to sign Ballack,and Arsenal were interested in him but he has already signed for Bayern Munich. Van Bommel is the main man.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Volz should be in the first team next year which free up Lauren as cover for Edu and Paddy.So assuming Paddy stays and with Pennant stepping up too i think we are well covered when GVB and Super Bob return.
Jeffers and Ali should both step up as well so i think Kanu and Wiltord could go with maybe one forward coming the other way.My personal choice would be Montella if Tristan goes to Rome.But would he leave Italy????
Wright will not have impressed Wenger at all so a keeper is very high on his list with Taylor not up to it yet and Seaman getting old.Wenger will play Wright in cup games i would think.
Centre Back is top priority although with good prospects not yet ready perhaps Wenger will go short term with De Boer or Zago.

Future Arsenal

Frey/Landreau/Wright
Volz Campbell Hoyte Cole
Pennant Pad Edu Fred
Henry Aliardiere

I think all these youngsters can make it,but Campbell and Paddy may be knocking on before Hoyte is there ;)

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Frey/Landreau/Wright
Volz Campbell Hoyte Cole
Pennant Pad Edu Fred
Henry Aliardiere
That will definitely be our team when we get the new stadium, except maybe Hofland instead of Hoyte and if Vieira does leave than it'll be van Bommel in the CM.

Anyway, for summer transfers I think Inamoto will be leant out, either to a Japanese club or an english club. Kanu is as good as gone, and Grimandi won't be here next season either. Wiltord will leave if we buy another striker. So Hofland will be coming here as well as van Bommel, coverage for what Grimandi used to do and so that Edu or Parlour can play on the left or right and van Bommel in the middle while Pires and Gio are out. Goalkeeper I don't think we need but it'll come none the less. The best we could buy: Paul Robinson from Leeds, who is very good and should be given more of a first team spot. We will be getting a new striker, but unless Vieira is sold it won't be Trezeguet. I actually don't know who we may be getting. Is Zlatan a striker? I don't think we need one though.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Goonermc, trezeguet is the perfect player for arsenal, but its out of your price wage. unless you lose some other stars, which wouldn't be good for the midfield.

i think Arsenal need a good attacking midfielder, not sure what van bommel is, but if he is an attacking midfielder, he would be good.

you need a back up for vieira and pires in that midfield.

you need a top parnter for campbell, someone like Frank De Boer would be perfect.

maybe one or two good defenders just incase of injuries as the CL and EPL are very demanding on players.

i think Ljundeberg and Parlour are fine players for that right side.

Henry and Bergkamp should stay. but i think Bergkamp must not be a starter. before you jump down my throat, let me explain myself.

Bergkamp is a top player, but when he misses CL games cuz he is scared to fly, it lets the team down a lot. Due to him performing well in england etc...Arsenal rely on his skills during the domestic league, then they havent got him midweek and they can't replace him on the field.

thats why i say you get a top partner for henry. Sell kanu, jeffers and wiltord. buy one top striker (within price range) and buy two other forwards like Ballemy as someone suggested already and someone else who wouldn't kill your budget.

Kluivert might be leaving Barcelona, maybe he is an option for that parntering role.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Inamoto is only 21 or 22 so I see no point selling him, he probably hasn't settled in yet.

Hope we get Hofland. He's all we need. Perhaps another full back as well (one on the left!) so we don't have to rely on Cole on the time with Luzhny playing on the left when he's injured, although he has done really well this season. It would also be nice to have another versatile player like Lauren.

If we do get another striker, we need one with natural goal scoring talent. I thinks that's why we got Jeffers. We need someone who has an instinct like Van Nistlerooy or Owen. Kanu is skilled but he can't score. He always tries to do too much with the ball. Jermaine Defoe will be an excellent player in the future, I can't see him staying at West Ham for too long although they have done really well this season.

I say we keep Wright. Apparently Manninger has done really well at Fiorentina this season so perhaps we should get him back? Although Fiorentina really want to make the deal permanent, they do not have the funds.

Future team:

Wright
Lauren Hofland Campbell Cole
Ljungberg Vieira GvB/Edu Pires
Henry Jeffers

That will be some team in the future. Wright, Campbell, Cole and Jeffers will be regulars for England. Henry and Vieira will be the best in Europe, while Pires will be a well repected figure (like Bergkamp is now). Van Bronckhorst and Edu will rotate around, with Edu appearing in the Brazilian squad and Van Bronckhorst will feature in the Dutch squad in the midfield because they finally found a left-back. Ljungberg will be known as one of the greatest Swedish players ever, with one of the best goal records for a midfielder.

Perhaps it's a little to ambitious, but I reckon Wenger knows what he's doing.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
IMO we should keep inhamoto, like gareth said. also i wouldnt like to have trezegeut here, i'd rather kliuvert or cisse. expecially cisse who is young and talented. maybe we should try to sign another world class defender who might move like stam or nesta.

personally, i would like to see kanu and wiltord stay
:)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Why are people saying we should sell inamoto, the rason he hasn't played is that he is for the future. I think we needd a new left back to cover ashley cole when he is injured. Also i think we need a new central defender Adams and Keown are not gunna go on for ever. I think we need another centre midfielder to partner vieira because we havn't really replaced petit, i think a good choice would be Davids. Also i think we need a nw striker, to replace Kanu who is as good as gone and Jeffers who is always injured and is crap. But we should keep Wiltord because hes done good this season.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Thuram said that if a big club offer him the chance to play in center defence, the he would consider leaving Juventus, who play him as a right back. Imagine a Campbell--Thuram partnership, that would be amazing.
As for attackers Trezeguet is the main man, but I doubt we could afford him. If we manage to buy Kluivert that would be amazing. Cisse would be agreat one for the future but he wants to stay at Auxerre for one more season.

Hey G'day that's the coolest avatar I've ever seen!:cool:

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Can you guys give me an update on the Vieira issue?Is he staying at Highbury fer sure or will he be jetting of to Madrid shortly before the WC???:confused:

To get some of the players that you have mentioned above,Arsenal will have to sell some of their own top staffs.That means either Vieira or Henry.Trezeguet is out of your reach simply because of his pricetag.Hofland has a better chance landing up at Old Trafford than Highbury and the same goes for Thuram.Remember Thuram has mentioned Sir Alex's name specifically when he suggested that he might leave if someone offred him to play in the center of defence.;)

Arsenal's keenness for getting a defensive midfielder might suggest that Vieira will actually be leaving during the summer.Still maybe you guys can tell me more about the situation.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Vieira is staying (I know ;) ) and Henry and Pires aren't going anywhere either. It was announced that Arsenal would have at least 20mil if they exited the CL, and that is without selling players which they will be doing most likely with Kanu, Grimandi and possibly Wiltord. I have no expectations to buy trez unless vieira leaves, but I think Hofland may end up here rather than ManU.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I swear that I saw on one of Arsenal's magazines, stating that Arsenal will inject 20 million pounds if they finishes Top and FA winners... Can someone update me on that?!

If that's true, well, I can't see why not players like Bommel, Kluivert or Trezy would'nt want to play for us?

Anyway, Lazio is clearing some of its players, maybe Nesta is a good addition?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Well, Arsenal never discuss money so the quote about injecting £20m was probably a bit wide of the mark.

As for the sumer re-structuring, Paddy himself said in his inspirational statement about how he wants to' enter the history of this club' that 'we are expecting a new goalkeeper and a striker. I think Paddy is someone who would know!

Personally, I'll take Djibril Cisse if Kanu or Wiltord leaves, (I hope Wiltord stays though) and Ulrich Rame would be a good choice for new keeper if Seaman retires after the WC as has been suggested in some media here in England.

Frank de Boer would be a good squad-signing if he was on a free transfer, although he would have to accept that he would be cover, not a first-teamer.

I'm also interested in the fact that Nuno Gomes looks set to leave Fiorentina on a free - he is a good goalscorer, he could link well with Henry.

Defensively, I also heard that Hofland may choose Arsenal above Man Utd, and he could be my preferred partner for Campbell next season.

BTW I think the van Bommel deal is probably already done.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
I hope you are wrong about Van Bommel Gareth,Surely this would mean Paddy going as him and Edu are the perfect match in Midfield one left,one right and I can't see Van Bommel wanting to sit on his Arse much ;)
Goalkeeper does look to be certain with Seaman rumoured to be retiring after World Cup ;)

I'm sure we will be in for some shocks this summer and the Media won't have much of a clue as normal ;)

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
yea jern is right
if van bommel is in the bag
then some midfielder will go cose we just have to much

it looks certain that rame is ours finally after years of rumours i think

i would like to see whose the new striker
jeffers is realli pushing it since he STILL hasnt put the money where his mouth is. frank de boer? his a lil old dun u think? in my opinion arsenal should keep to yougn talented players, not payers who are old and at their peak or past it. expecially dont buy players who had some drug problam.:rolleyes: just not a good roll model and not a gunner.
if we win Fa cup and EPL looks like we'll buy more better players

i realli want to see cisse come

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Well grimandi is leaving to make room for van Bommel, if another player leaves it'll be inamoto and after that possibly Parlour. de Boer will only be bought if we can't get Hofland, and besides he will only be a temp so we can raise a new defender from the youth. Jeffers needs an operation, but after that he will be completely healed. Hopefully he'll decide to go for it, he can be one of the best.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Grimandi is leaving because he cannot get a place in the side with Parlour and more recently edu blocking his path.The sentral midfield position is well covered for Arsenal and the only way Van Bommel will arriv is if Vieira moves to real during the summer.

Jeffers is an injury prone striker and in his first season with Arsenal,the Gunners have hardly had a sight of him.The same's been the case during his time at everton with the fragile striker constantly getting injured.With Kanu and possibly Wiltord leaving,Wenger will be looking to strengthen this part of the squad.bergkamp is only getting older and Wenger cannot expect him to produce the goods throughout the season.So he'll probably get into the market for a young,talented striker and we all know how good a judge Wenger is of a player's potential.

Adams and Keown will struggle to keep up with the pace of the Premiership and their bodies seems to be finally buckling under the pressure.That means getting a partner for Campbell.Upson is simply not good enough,not yet at least,and Wenger would like to get someone young to partner Campbell.It could be Mexes from Auxerre or even Hofland though it could lead to a tug-of-war between United and Arsenal.:eek:

Seaman in all likelihood will retire after the WC and his replacement Wright doesnt exactly exude confidence.Taylor is pretty young and raw and one cannot depend on him for an entire season.So Wenger will again be looking to bolster th GK position with a new arrival.

Overall,Wenger will be looking to replace an ageing squad with some fresh and young faces.He will not spend big on big name players because thats not his style.He will scout the French and Dutch leagues and get some of the promising players from there.

Just my two cents.;)

1 - 20 of 426 Posts