Xtratime Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EXCLUSIVE Suker suspends retirement for World Cup

Monday 28th January 2002

Davor Suker has revealed he would have retired if Croatia had failed to qualify for the World Cup.

"I would not have had any reason to continue as I was fed up with the hotels, the travelling and the media pressure," he told onefootball.com.

"It's true that it's made up for by the fame, the trophies and the money, but when you get to the age of 34, you stop to ask yourself what's next.

"But now I'm really looking forward to Japan and South Korea," added the 1860 Munich forward.

"If we hadn't made it, I would've called it a day. Last summer was the first one I've enjoyed for 20 years and I realised what I'd been missing.

"I've come in for a lot of criticism recently but I've got through it. I thank coach Mirko Jozic for his tolerance and I hope I'll be able to return his confidence in me on the pitch."

The veteran may now continue his career past the World Cup and was pleased that Croatia were handed a favourable draw alongside Belgium, Bulgaria, Estonia and Andorra in Group 8 of the Euro 2004 qualifiers.

"We've been dealt a good draw and now we must take our chance," said the forward, who scored his first Bundesliga goal as 1860 defeated FC Cologne 3-0 on Saturday.

Suker joined the German club in November after leaving West Ham in summer 2001. The veteran moved to the Hammers from Arsenal and previously played for Real Madrid – for whom he scored 110 goals in 220 games – Seville and Tenerife.

·
Registered
36,150 Posts
he also stated that he would defend his golden boot, and score 2 past the Mexicans :)

you have to admire Davor's confidence, and our nation will miss his services.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts