Xtratime Community banner

Which team will advance to the quarterfinals???

• Corinthians

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Atletico Mineiro

• Fluminenese

• Gremio

• Sao Paulo

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Vasco da Gama

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Corinthians
The todo poderoso timao ahd a dissapointing Libertadores campign and has had a dissapointing Brasilerao so far. This team has never won anything outside Brasil. They have traded heavily in the transfer market, so this team will be quite different from the one in the 1st part of the tournament.

Top players and newcomers: Gil, Kleber, Robert, Cocito, Vampeta, Jorge Wagner

Atletico Mineiro
This team is always tough, never espectacular but always more difficult than the players it has will make you think. Not necesarily a contender but could surprise.

Fluminense
Another Carioca former great team. Mired in mediocrity in recent years. Romario leads their attack and the team is simply limited talent wise.

Gremio
Another team who is struggling mightly. They are serious contenders to go down, but Gremio is always tough on the International scene. With the departure of Anderson Polga to Europe, their weak defense got even weaker. Not to mention they are having tremendous financial difficulties.

Top players and newcomers: Rodrigo Fabri, Christian, Gilberto, Tinga, Marcos Paulo, Felipe Baloy

Sao Paulo
Second place in the Brasileirao and breathing down the necks of Cruzeiro. IMO this have been the best Brasilian team in the last couple of years. They are heavy contenders to win the Sudamericana too. Despite the departure of Julio Baptista they are still loaded.

Top players and newcomers: Kaka, Luis Fabiano, Rogerio Ceni, Ricardinho, Warley

Vasco da Gama
Another great team of carioca football. Not having their best year by a mile. They simply have been dissapointing. Winning the Sudamericana would save their season, but I doubt it they can pull it off, even with Edmundo on board to lead their attack.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
30-07-03 [4] São Paulo 21.40 Corinthians vs. Atlético Mineiro
12-08-03 [12] Belo Horizonte 18.10 Atlético Mineiro vs. Fluminense
03-09-03 [30] Rio de Janeiro 19.10 Fluminense vs. Corinthians

30-07-03 [3] Porto Alegre 21.40 Grêmio vs. São Paulo FC
26-08-03 [23] São Paulo 18.10 São Paulo FC vs. Vasco da Gama
04-09-03 [32] Rio de Janeiro 19.10 Vasco da Gama vs. Grêmio

16-09-03 [34] 19.10 Gremio/Sao Paulo/Vasco vs. Corinthians/Atletico/Fluminense
01-10-03 [44] 18.10 Corinthians/Atletico/Fluminense vs. Gremio/Sao Paulo/Vasco

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Corinthians vs Atletico Mineiro at Pacaembu Stadium in Sao Paulo, Brasil. 07/30/03 - 9:40PM (local time)

Two teams that are in the middle of the pack in the Brasilian league, try to save their season by going far in the Sudamericana. People are still wondering what is Geninho still doing as coach of Corinthians? While in Atletico MG Marcelo Oliveira tries to get the team going in the right direction.

Possible line ups:

Corinthians:
keeper - Rubinho
Defenders - Anderson, Betao, Marquinhos
Midfielders - Rogério, Fabinho, Fabricio, Renato, Kléber
Forwads - Renato and Abuda.

Coach: Geninho

Atlético Mineiro:
Keeper - Eduardo
Defenders - Cicinho, Scheidt, André Luiz, Marquinhos
Midfielders - Ferrugem, Silva, Paulinho, Tucho
Forwards - Alex Alves and Guilherme

Coach: Marcelo Oliveira.

·
Administrator
29,282 Posts
Velloso, Cicinho, Luiz Alberto, Andre Luis, Scheidt, Michel
Ferrugem, Marcelo Silva, Tucho, Kim, Guilherme is the most probally team to play today for Atletico-mg.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gremio vs Sao Paulo at Olimpico Stadium in Porto Alegre, Brasil. 07/30/03 - 09:40PM (local time)

Sao Paulo is having to rest a lot of their top players due to injury or overwork. Missing from the starting line up is Kaka, Ricardinho, Luis Fabiano, Fabiano and Gustavo Nery. While Gremio is in the middle of a terrible crisis. They lost to Corinthians over the weekend and are desperatedly looking for a striker.

Possible line ups:

Sao Paulo
Keeper - Rogério Ceni
Defenders - Leonardo, Jean, Júlio Santos e Fábio Santos
Midfielders - Adriano, Carlos Alberto, Fábio Simplício e Marco Antônio
Forwards - Diego Tardelli e Kléber

Coach: Roberto Rojas

Gremio
Keeper - Darnley
Defenders - Adriano, Baloy, Roberto, Anderson Lima
Midfielders - Tinga, Emerson, Elton, Douglas
Forwards - Caio and Flavio

Coach: Nestor Simionatto

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Re: Sudamericana Brasil 2: Corinthians, Atletico MG, Fluminense, Gremio, Sao Paulo, Vasco

Gabemar said:

Fluminense
Another Carioca former great team. Mired in mediocrity in recent years. Romario leads their attack and the team is simply limited talent wise.
:(
Actually we have a mediocre team this year. Last 3 years we made it to the semifinals of the Brasileiro. ;)

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Gabemar said:
Incredible how low has Gremio sunk, while Corinthians is simply sad!!!:(
I wouldn't say that. Football is a box full of surprises.
For example, just last weekend Corinthians beat the same Atletico 3x2 away, and now they are losing 2x0 to the "mediocre" Fluminense and apparently saying good bye to their chances in the Sudamericana. Now it is between Atletico and Flu to secure one of the spots.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
That's right end3r7, football is full of surprises. And Fluminense was yesterday. I saw the game and I thought they did pretty good. Corinthians on the other hand is a far cry from the team I saw earlier in the year playing in the Libertadores!!!

Well Corinthians is out!! and I just hope Romario is back for Atletico MG game.

:cool:

·
Administrator
29,282 Posts
August, 28:

Vasco (Wescley) 1 - Gremio (Helder) 1

With this Gremio is out. Sao Paulo will host the last game against the Vasco. A draw is enough for Sao Paulo to advance.
They are going to face the winner of the game Atletico-MG - Fluminense. COMMEBOL ruled that if a draw happens, Penalty shotout.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Atletico MG vs Fluminense, winner takes all. I give Atletico MG a slight advantage. I am curious to see if Romario plays.

Vasco will try to beat Sao Paulo at Morumbi, good luck!!! Though Vasco has played well recently, Sao Pulo should advance especially since a draw is enough for them.

·
Administrator
29,282 Posts
Today results:

Atletico -MG 0 - Fluminense 2 (Carlos Alberto, Joaozinho)
Fluminense classificated.
Sao Paulo 2 (Rico, Cleber) - Vasco 1 (Wellington Monteiro)
Sao Paulo Classificated.
Fluminense - Sao Paulo

·
Administrator
29,282 Posts
today:
Fluminense 1(Jadilson) - Sao Paulo 1 (Lugano). Sao Paulo moves ahead.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fluminense put in a gutsy even after they went a down a man. I was actually pulling for the, I should have known better I guess.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts