Xtratime Community banner

14801 - 14820 of 14825 Posts

·
Registered
16,153 Posts
Interesting interview with Razvan Marin, where you can get some clues about why our players fail abroad

"- Acolo unde încă nu ai debutat.
- Sunt trist, dar asta e. Știi, mă gândesc că noi, românii, plecăm acum din start cu un dezavantaj. Avem așa o ștampilă că suntem jucători români. Cumva, trebuie mereu să o luăm de la capăt. Altfel stă treaba cu sârbii, cu croații.

ȘTAMPILA DE JUCĂTOR ROMÂN

- Ai și o explicație?
- Da, pentru că de-a lungul timpului au făcut treabă pe unde au fost. Noi am avut performanță atunci cu Generația de Aur, apoi au mai fost Mutu și Chivu care au ținut steagul sus. Plus Ștefan Radu, care joacă la Lazio. Și cam gata. Am mai reușit ceva și eu pe la Standard. Dar e prea puțin pentru a schimba percepția generală."

So, he mentions that while croatian adn serbians have made a name for themselves troughout the years, with romanian players it's the opposite.
On another part he mentions than before his transfer Ten Hag talked to him for 2 and a half hours, but after his transfer and being benched, he only talked to him because Marin requested it, and Ten Hag wasn't precise about what was the problem. So, the treatment abroad seems to be very cold, every player has to manage for himself. That is certainly very different from what happens at home with romanian coaches. The player has to be very strong mentally and be able to go trough bad moments and take every chance on the field. Romanian player have a bad name so coaches are more sceptical, while when they come from other countries it may get them some priceless extra chances because they expect them to do well eventually. This combo seems to be deadly for most of our players

Mutu did well under coaches that were very close to him, like Malesani and Prandelli. That may have helped him

·
Ilie Balaci ❤
10,135 Posts
That thinking is idiotic by an elite pro manager though, how can you be so dumb to judge by nationality first.. not to mention Romania isn’t even a no name football country, yes it’s been awhile but not that long either. Just because the national team doesn’t have success doesn’t mean we don’t have talent to work with, coaches should know that.

I somewhat believe it as part of the story but to think every manager in the west thinks this way is kind of insane and pathetic... I think Overmars isn’t bright either and many of the people at Ajax are overrated because of their traditions and their run last year, they have some shocking ways of thinking for being considered such greats.... consider that this idiot bought Marin to replace De Jong when they’re totally different players, and now complain when he’s not outstanding out of position and when he does play well he still limits his chances even in small games.. like, wtf... Marin is a 8 or 10, not a 6....

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
Marin made a mistake going to a club that wants offensive midfielders. They thought he was offensive minded. He can do a bit offensively, but mainly most of his threat came from set plays and top of the box. He doesn't have the pace to play two way football as a DM with Ajax. He would have done better in Italy.

·
Ilie Balaci ❤
10,135 Posts
Marin made a mistake going to a club that wants offensive midfielders. They thought he was offensive minded. He can do a bit offensively, but mainly most of his threat came from set plays and top of the box. He doesn't have the pace to play two way football as a DM with Ajax. He would have done better in Italy.
Huh? I think he does best when he’s given freedom to roam further up, he’s not so good defensively, he’s ok. I remember with standard some of his runs into the box and trickery, passes, etc.. he was good at more than just set pieces there. That said, you’re right about his pace, and not really a box to box. I think a free role behind the striker or deeper but as an 8 not a 6, he would do better. It’s also their system though. He needs a move imo, I doubt his situation is gonna improve in that club. **** ten Hag and Overmars

·
Ilie Balaci ❤
10,135 Posts
Look at this genius

Although yes, I think he would do well in Italy or Spain.

·
Registered
16,153 Posts
In that note he says he is not playing out of position, but that the game is faster in netherlands and hr has to adapt to that. He doesn't mention what role fits him best

·
Ilie Balaci ❤
10,135 Posts
I didn’t mean that he was played out of position, sorry, CM is his position though he can also play AM. I meant more his role, as CMs can have various roles. I know he doesn’t talk about it but it’s my strong opinion and I’m going to continue being stubborn on this one until I see him play another role better than he’s played the 8 or 10 (in different shirts mind you), sorry guys :p

Yeah, about the tempo of the game that much we knew was coming.. not just Netherlands, but Ajax as a club and the level they’ve had to keep to compete in CL, they play very high tempo and system that takes some time to adapt to.

·
Ilie Balaci ❤
10,135 Posts
Chiriches has started training with Sassuolo

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
I didn’t mean that he was played out of position, sorry, CM is his position though he can also play AM. I meant more his role, as CMs can have various roles. I know he doesn’t talk about it but it’s my strong opinion and I’m going to continue being stubborn on this one until I see him play another role better than he’s played the 8 or 10 (in different shirts mind you), sorry guys :p

Yeah, about the tempo of the game that much we knew was coming.. not just Netherlands, but Ajax as a club and the level they’ve had to keep to compete in CL, they play very high tempo and system that takes some time to adapt to.
It's not about him playing "out of position" but if you're DM in Ajax system, you still need to keep up with the play and be a threat going forward. Marin quite honestly doesn't run too well and on fast breaks may be a step or two behind the rush. The problem in a system like Ajax is that the ball recovery needs to be on the first pass after the opponent recovers it.If Marin is late getting to the rush he's a 0 offensively, and then tired to chase the first pass on D.

·
Registered
16,153 Posts
And Radu is sub today...Perin on goal

Genk brought 2 offensive midfielders

Tatarausanu not even starter on the french cup

Benzar not staying at Lecce

The situation is bad, very bad

·
Registered
69,627 Posts
Ionut Radu must look for a team in this market window. Tatarusanu too.
But it's especially problematic for a keeper to find a team.

·
Registered
16,153 Posts
Ionut Radu must look for a team in this market window. Tatarusanu too.
But it's especially problematic for a keeper to find a team.
Both have a huge pedigree on their side, Tata because of recent seasons and being the NT keeper and Radu because of his performances last year. But they must move fast

·
Ilie Balaci ❤
10,135 Posts
Dragus played the second half of Standard's friendly against Borussia Dortmund. It finished 0-0, I read mostly good things about how he played. He dribbles well and had some decent efforts, but when he loses the ball he lets himself go and doesn't work hard to recuperate it (this was one opinion saying that, but I believe them). I think he's going to get more game time in the first team now, but he has to work hard to stay there.

·
Registered
69,627 Posts
Dragus played the second half of Standard's friendly against Borussia Dortmund. It finished 0-0, I read mostly good things about how he played. He dribbles well and had some decent efforts, but when he loses the ball he lets himself go and doesn't work hard to recuperate it (this was one opinion saying that, but I believe them). I think he's going to get more game time in the first team now, but he has to work hard to stay there.
Here you have it. No. #12.

I think he did ok.

He's well developed physically. Quite robust and strong. And keep in mind that when he arrived to Standard, he had the best aerobical parameters in the whole team.

14801 - 14820 of 14825 Posts