1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Given the global-local policy of this board, you could copy it here too.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Uruguay 1930 - 1950

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
OK, i will explain but a please wouldnt have gone a miss ;)

Uruguay - World Cup winners 1930, 1950. That is a 100% record for the World Cups Uruguay entered between the above years, it also is widley accepted that they would have been odds on favourites to win the Two competions in between, both won by Italy. In this period they also won two Copa Americas, before 1930 the Copa had been won almost exclusivly by the Uruguayans. All of this whilst competing against a great Argentine side, perhaps also one of the best of all time. Uruguay were also semi-finalists in the 1954 world cup, beaten by the great Hungarian side.

So in conclusion, the side has won things over an extended period of time: over 20 years. Statisitcs might not back this up, as in your article san siro because the side was forced to miss 3 world cups because of political wranglings and one because or a world war, when the side would have been in its prime.

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
That's one hell of difficult and unsatisfying thing to compare teams throughout history of World Cup, we've had an overview of the issue in that great thread called "Your pre-WC dream" (see the link in San_Siro_1's post).

The game in general and the World Cup in particular have hugely evolved, football "profesionalized", economical interests took over, etcetera etcetera... You need a extensive knowledge to express an opinion. Something I do not have. I personally lived and enjoyed France98, USA94 (my favourite one) and Italia90, I have tapes of Mexico86, Spain82 and West Germany74, but that's all. I also have tapes on Pelé and thus the 3 WC's he took part in, but not enough to pronounce myself. From what I saw, the actual French NT and the Brazilian one from the early/mi 80's are the most dominating one's, but don't expect me to waste my time proving something unproofable... ;)

So I leave that hard task to experts - If they can put thier biasm aside!... ;):D

Mutu - I never saw Uruguay of 1930 and 1950 in action, I only read things about 'em. First and foremost, Uruguay did not miss 3 WC's but 2: 1934 and 1938. And according to what I read, Uruguay's officials decided from their own initiative to boycott the editions of 1934 and 1938 (whic are both to be distantly considered tho when it comes to Italy's wins). They were not compelled to it by any political wrangling whatsoever. In 1934, Uruguay decided not to travel to Italy where the WC took place since the Italians had boycotted the previous edition which had taken place in... Uruguay. Four years later, they also decided to stay home instead of going to France.

Now, we have no clue what would have happened should the Celeste had taken part in the competitions but granting them victory because they won the previous and next editions is just hazardous. Italy was a major force, despite all the controversises that surrounded its victories, and many potentila winners (Argentina, Brazil, Austria, England,...) either boycotted the events or sent B-teams in those troubled times. :)

Ciao.

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
Of course, there´s no ultimate answer to this subject, it´s mostly about personal preferences.
In my opinion, the stats speak for themselves: Hungary 1945-1956 is one of the main contenders for the "Greatest NT of all time"-title and my personal favourite.

It was also the first team that managed to beat England on english turf.
Players like Ferenc Puskas, Sandor Kocsis, Zoltan Czibor, not to forget Nandor Hidegkuti, the first real #10 in history,..., the only negative aspect is that this great team lost it´s most important game, the 1954-final against Germany.

By the way, the list seems good actually, but the fact that they left out South American teams due to the different structure of the two federations is a bit disappointing.
At least they mentioned Brazil 1958-1970, a valid candidate, no doubt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts