Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
23,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been a lot of talk about getting a new forward. A power forward to crash through the small teams or a great seconda punta. Here are our current strikers:

Pato, can play both first and second striker. scored most goals when playing alone on top. Will stay on with us for sure.
Inzaghi, pure first striker, whos scoring I just can't understand. will stay on with us, last season?
Gilardino, first striker. Once a deadly penalty area finisher with current zero confidence. Possible trading card or transfer out. Just don't work with us.
Paloschi, first striker. Great forward instincts, I would trust him more than Ancelotti have. Loan or stay in a limited role. (IMO he could be more than that)
Oliveria, forward. Fast, but not that good scorer. will be sold with a loss to Spain.
Borriello, halfshare with Genoa. Strong power forward with a good left foot. Trading card or back?
Pozzi. Another power forward type. Halfshare with Empoli. I reckon we will let him go one way or the other.
Matri. Mediocre powerforward, I don't know the owner situation. I reckon we will also let him go.

The consensus is that Inzaghi and Pato will stay for sure. Who do you think will be the two other strikers with us and who would you want?

One kris suggestion:
Have Pato, Inzaghi, Paloschi and Borriello and then get Benzema for the next season (I am sure he will stay one more year in Lyon.) These strikers are good enough, especially if we miss UCL which seems certain. (another creative midfielder a must though)

Best otherwise...
Pato, Inzaghi, Eto'o and Borriello/Paloschi. Lots of talk about Eto'o leaving Barcelona, we don't need to offer as much money as the interest English clubs. since simply, they are not attractive alternatives (the ones interest in him ATM). He is awesome and think of the sheer speed in a Kaka, Pato, Eto'o attack!

Second best alternative...
Bring in Drogba instead of Eto'o and in that case sell off Borriello. Drogba is great at holding the ball and is the best power forward around. He is also leaving Chelsea.

Cheapskate third rate choice (which I don't recommend)...
Sheva, Inzaghi, Amauri, Pato.
IMO, won't really take us to another level. One goal per season wonder Shevchenko and I almost became a good goalscorer when I was 27 Amauri. Good enough for a third place in the league and a UEFA cup campaign.

All alternatives see me shipping off Gilardino, he is worth quite some, but his wages is a problem with many. Borriello I don't really see as a great alternative, but a useful one that we have. Pato for me is a unpolished diamond, he may need several seasons until he is the best, but I believe he can go there.

What you think?

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
I expect Pato to take off next season into Aguero's level. He really looks great - he just needs to be colder in front of goal.

The problem with any restructuring of our forward line is that we will have loads of trouble offloading Pippo or Gila and that in turn limits what we can spend and offer in wages.

I prefer Gomez to any of potential signings. His scoring and injury record is great, and he is young and hungry and is definitely cheaper than the alternatives. He can play a full season unlike Pippo and he brings a credible aerial threat as well as being comfortable playing with others around the box. Failing that, ignoring what Boriello has done this season would be wrong.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Also, I'm not sure that we will able to sell Oliveira. He has been one of Zaragoza's best players, but that is not saying too much when Zaragoza is in the relegation zone and he is earning more than what teams that might be interested in him can afford (mid-table Spanish sides). The only team that he might go to is Atletico Madrid.

·
Scudetto
23,386 Posts
Preferably, my ideal scenario:

-Loan out Paloschi (to the same club as Gourcuff :eek:).
-Sell Gilardino.
-Bring back Borriello for a relatively cheap price.
-Sign Eto'o.

My main reason for saying this is because, do we really need an big classic striker? Gilardino probably came with the best of reputations to fill this void but it never worked out.

Another dream signing of mine would be Berbatov. Quite realistic if you ask me, considering he spoke about us a number of times already.

Whatever it is, another creative midfielder that is capable of challenging Seedorf for his spot is extremely vital.

EDIT: bloody hell everyone forgot Ronaldo :D

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I believe the issue at stake is money. I mean, we don't seem to be ready to buy the best, as Milan management seem to quickly beat a retreat the moment they hear a player's price tag is above their estimation. Drogba, Etoo, Benzema and Berbatov will naturally cost. But they are the best. Are we ready to splash for them? I'm not that confident. My ideal strike force would be; Pato, Inzaghi, Drogba, Borriello. (Subtitude Drogba with Eto, Benzema, Berbatov). Send Paloschi on loan for a season, and he would be read next season to take over from Pippo.

If we can't get one those, then Amauri is okay. I really have this feeling that he would excel for us.

·
Registered
12,028 Posts
Inzaghi Pato Borriello Paloschi
Here you have 2 attackers that cannot create their own chances, in Pippo and Palo, and 2 that can, a bit less with Borriello, so its a good mix

Given that Paloschi will not be assumed to make it to the top 4, as Ancelotti has clearly stated, that leaves us with what seems to me will happen:

The management will either keep Gilardino for another year and baffle us all, given that his salary is too high and I think this will be the end game there.

Ronaldo should be sold, on his day he is number 1, but those days are far and sparse given his injuries, and finally to some degree he messed with the trust of the club who gave him a chance at making it back, despite his new injury, and chooses to have a good time instead. He should not be renewed, and should go on a loan spell to Flamengo without salary from Milan, and only if he is kicking arse he should come back, as the 5th choice and maybe work from there.

Any between Etoo, Benzema and Drogba is gain, so don't get me wrong, I think we really need any of them.

·
Scudetto
23,386 Posts
I think he'll excel anywhere he goes, but theres this like mental block in my head that already reads "You don't like Amauri".

No idea why :D

·
Registered
43,403 Posts
one of Eto and Drogba will be a huge boost. Then Bori, Palo for the bench with Pato, Pippo 1st time choices in a 442.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
I would like to a see a skilled foward to partner Pato up front. Inzaghi is a paocher but he is not skilled and does not play well with partners. I keep remembering the Napoli game where Pato played with Ronaldo and they used quick passes and interchanges with Kaka and Seedorf to really run rings around Napoli. Playing with a loan forward seems to be the prefered method but somebody with skill and mobility would be my choice. I suppose Amauri suits that definition although I am not a huge fan of his. Paloschi is nice, but fielding two kids is a bit ridiculous.

As for Ronaldo; if we are really considering him in the forward equation then this team really is run by dreamers or idiots.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
:embarass:

Without service, a striker is nothing :pp
Just ask Gilardino. He may not have been up to the task but he also did not get much help. A player who needs sound crossing playing for a team with no good crossers of hte ball.......

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
But isn't it boring and tedious having a striker that depends solely on crossing? Their type are easily marked out, as the opposing defenders know exactly what you are up to. We need someone who, apart from being good with crosses, can also play and create for himself and others. That's why Gila is no good. It is no surprise that the likes of Benzema/Berbatov/Drog/Eto are in vogue.

By the way, the rumours about Gomez seemed to have died completely. What type of striker is he? Will he be any good for us?

·
Registered
12,028 Posts
If we can get either Benzema or Drogba in the summer window, I won't be too worried about our attack next season.
You are probably going to be worried since, as you known Benzema just signed a contract extension and pledged to stay with Lyon for longer, while Drogba will be a potential champions league winner.

I think Etoo is our best hope, I mean if Tottenham is going after him I really can't see why we shouldn't. But the odds of getting Sammy are also slim to none...

We will get:
Borriello, 1/8th of Ronaldo.
And if R10 comes he will be considered an attacker.

·
1st Tier Poster
50,024 Posts
You are probably going to be worried since, as you known Benzema just signed a contract extension and pledged to stay with Lyon for longer, while Drogba will be a potential champions league winner.

I think Etoo is our best hope, I mean if Tottenham is going after him I really can't see why we shouldn't.
I don't think Barca will let him leave, it would be a stupid move for them. Even in this season, while clearly far away from his best days form, he still has a pretty good goals per game ratio.

·
Scudetto
23,386 Posts
Eto'o is really looking like a very good option.

I think he'll end up in the EPL though unfortunately. Either Man Utd or Chelsea.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
But isn't it boring and tedious having a striker that depends solely on crossing? Their type are easily marked out, as the opposing defenders know exactly what you are up to. We need someone who, apart from being good with crosses, can also play and create for himself and others. That's why Gila is no good.

Yeah, sure, but that is what a target man does. I have always favored teh Shevchenko or Eto'o style forward to the Vieri or Toni type. Actually, Toni can do more than head but you get my meaning. :)

·
Registered
23,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The problem with any restructuring of our forward line is that we will have loads of trouble offloading Pippo or Gila and that in turn limits what we can spend and offer in wages.

I prefer Gomez to any of potential signings.
Gila is a good trade bait, but to a limited audience. Maybe we can swap him to Fiorentina for UCL? :D

Pippo on the other hand will stay one more year. not much to talk about when it comes to offloading or keeping. I believe it is a big question mark how much his body will take and how much he will feature.

I only seen two Bundesliga games, so I can't comment on Gomez. but a name like him is interesting for the same reason some wanted Amauri, he want to prove himself and want to win things.

Benzema is quite likely to become the best striker in the world, he already is one of the most complete from what I seen.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts