Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A great team has a good group of reliable strikers, made up of proven internationals, improving potential talents and future stars.

Not turning this into a Pool vs Man Utd thread, but I think now we have a strikeforce comparable to them, at first team level at least:

RVN - Nando
Rooney - Baros
Saha - Ciise

However, they beat us in the reserves:

Smith - Mellor
Ole - Sinama

Doing the same comparison to the other big teams in the EPL, I got:

Bergkamp - Shearer/Kluivert - Kezman - Nando
Henry - Kluivert/Shearer - Gudjohnsen - Baros
Reyes - Bellamy - Drogba - Ciise
Van Persie - Ameobi - Forsell - Sinama
Aliadiere - Guy - X - Mellor

Taking into account the manner that each team plays, and the record of their strikeforce (individually, pre-transfer & post-transfer) from the top of my head, I've come up with a simple ranking of the best strikeforce between these 5 teams:

Man Utd
Arsenal
Liverpool
Newcastle
Chelsea

However, this ranking is only on paper, and does not reflect the current situation of the league. The reason why Man Utd is top is that they've got 2 really proven and experienced stirkers in Ole & RVN in their squad, plus the rising Rooney. As backup they have proven premierhsip talents in Smith & Saha. A very balanced group of strikers. The only thing lacking is a player similiar to Henry and to a certain extent, Baros's style, a striker who has pace and skill to bring the ball down the channels. Rooney does a bit of that, but he lacks pace, which he makes up for setting others with thru passes.

Arsenal don't someone in the stature of Ole that they can rely as backup. Not to mention they have two young players on the rise to be counted upon as backup, which is not as reliable.

I"m quite satisfied with us being third becuse we all knwo we're not there yet. However the great thing is what I've listed below:

RVN - Bergkamp - Nando
Rooney - Henry - Baros
Saha - Reyes - Ciise

Our current first team strikeforce can match the Mancs and the Gunners on they're own. Next season, when Ciise gets back, it'll be a race to see which strikeforce strikes hardest. :cool:

SIDE NOTE:
A quick comparison between our first team strikeforce and those of other big European teams:

Del Piero - Crespo - Ronaldo - Makaay - Vieri - Larsson - Nando
Trez - Sheva - Raul - Pizarro - Adriano - Eto'o - Baros
Ibrahimovic - Tomasson - Roque - Martins - X - Ciise

In reserves, Juve has Zalayeta & Oliveira, Milan has Pippo & Brocchi, Inter has Recoba and Bayern has Zickler. Only Man Utd is the only English team that can compete with them in the striking dept.

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
karrmadamaii, are you aware that MORIENTES plays for Liverpool? He's better than any of the Liverpool strikers.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Barcawinner said:
karrmadamaii, are you aware that MORIENTES plays for Liverpool? He's better than any of the Liverpool strikers.
What a silly question... Of course he knows moro is at Anfield. Morientes = Nando......

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
Nauan said:
What a silly question... Of course he knows moro is at Anfield. Morientes = Nando......
Morientes = Nando, lol what a stupid nickname. Its MORO!

Morientes = Moro!

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
Barcawinner acording to the Liverpool website, Morientes says he preferes to be known as Nando. I think it's a stupid nickname aswell but if he perferes it :/

As for the best strikerforces in the Prem i would rank the top 5 as:

ManU
Arsenal
Liverpool
Chelsea
Spurs

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
I don't see OGS can be included for United, he hasn't played for years, you might as well include Brian McLair as he is still on the books.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SM ONLINE said:
Barcawinner acording to the Liverpool website, Morientes says he preferes to be known as Nando. I think it's a stupid nickname aswell but if he perferes it :/

As for the best strikerforces in the Prem i would rank the top 5 as:

ManU
Arsenal
Liverpool
Chelsea
Spurs
I forgot abt Spurs. Kanoute, Keane & Defoe are great. Perhaps its because they aren't one of the big teams that made me forget them. I stand corrected.

And thank you SM for explaining that bit abt Nando. Next time Barca, check your sources. You've just made a fool of yourself. :cool: So what if its a stupid nickname. I bet if Ronnie wanted himself to be known as "Big Teeth" you wouldn't bat an eyelid jumping onto it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts