Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like we are a bit sparse in this area already. With Stevie Thompson and Shot Arvelade out injured we only really have two main strikers. If, as is believed, Novo is disciplined and recieves a suspension then we really are up the creek.

On Sunday you Bob Davidson was drafted in as cover but today in a reserve match with Aberdeen he was stretchered off with a serious injury so it doesn't leave much else- McCormack looking the only option but as he wasn't even in the squad it makes me wonder just who will come in. Incidently Hutton and Mladenovic played in that game so they should be available for Saturday.

With McLeish saying yesterday saying that players may not be coming in during the January transfer window it's not looking too good. I really think with only 3 main strikers (1 of them past it) we are not equipping ourselves enough for a full season of games and it needs addressing.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
If no player's come in during the transfer window Rangers won't win the league. It's as simple as that. Obviously a couple of new arrivals won't guarantee anything, but you've got to think that Celtic will strengthen in January. Up until the last few weeks we had been pretty lucky with the fitness of our squad. Suddenly, we get a few significant injuries and we look badly exposed. I've always been a fan of Stevie Thompson, but the guy has had some amount of injuries. There's no doubt Arveladze will be on his way at the end of the season, because his injury record is also terrible. His goals record has been pretty good, but the amount of games he's played doesn't represent a good return on Rangers investment.

If McLeish said that, it goes against everything else he's said over the past few months. There must be some players that can be brought in to improve the team. If not, the fans will be asking serious questions of McLeish and Murray.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really think it may have been taken out of context. The first 11 is fine but it's obvious that since the end of 2002/03 season way more players have left than come in and as a consequence the sqaud is too small. I like to see the likes of Smith and Hutton come in and they are good as cover but in other areas I don't like to see lack of cover.

With Boumsong injured I'd imagine Zurab will be moving to central defence and Hutton moving to right back so that isn't too big a problem. Up front though who will partner Prso if Novo is suspended? Also if Prso gets an injury I'd really like to know what the front two will be. Mind you it may give some young guy the chance to grab his spot with both hands. Although the financial side of the club doesn't allow big transfer fees it makes you wonder why McLean and Duffy were allowed to leave when this is just the kind of chance they would have been looking for.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Is Fetai fit? He's been on the bench at least this season. We should be able to get away with an Andrews-Khizanishvili defence against Dundee, but I wouldn't like it to become a regular thing. There are just some players we can't do without for any length of time like Klos and Boumsong. I dread to think what would happen if they got badly injured.

As you said, the cover we really need is up front, as well as in midfield. I saw Yakin's name was being banded about again recently. If he's not a complete basket case, he would be a good addition. Striker's are pretty hard to come by if you're operating on a budget. English "Championship" strikers are going for millions, so what chance do we have? I still want Kevin Phillips, but he's probably out of our range.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm pretty sure too McCormack is injured. Fetai played in that reserve match so should be on the bench for Saturday's game. Thomson should be back in a couple of weeks time but Arveladze should also return to training this week.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts