Xtratime Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
1st Tier Poster
48,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strachan to quit Saints

Southampton have confirmed that manager Gordon Strachan will leave the club in the summer.
Saints announced in a statement that Strachan had decided not to extend his contract beyond the end of the season.

The club said the 46-year-old Scot's decision had been for "medical and other personal reasons" and was not due to any rift with chairman Rupert Lowe.

"Gordon and I have fully discussed the situation and are comfortable with his decision," said Lowe.

"Despite the fact that we may appear an unlikely partnership, I have very much enjoyed working with Gordon over the past two and a half years.

"His enthusiasm and commitment have inspired everybody and the club has moved forward during a crucial period after leaving The Dell and moving to the Friends Provident St Mary's Stadium.

"Gordon has assured me that he will give 110% for the balance of this season in order to capitalise on our current position in the league.

"Our fans will be sad to see a man, whose passion matched theirs, taking time out of the game."

Strachan will take charge of the Southampton side as normal for the Premiership trip to Birmingham on Saturday.

He joined the club 27 months ago, six weeks after he was sacked by Coventry following their relegation and a poor start in Division One.

He led them to the FA Cup final last season, when they lost against Arsenal, but they made an early exit from the Uefa Cup when they lost to Steaua Bucharest.

Strachan's side have suffered a dip in form recently, going out of the Carling Cup at Bolton and losing 3-0 at home to Newcastle in the FA Cup third round.

The Scot had been strongly linked with the vacancy at Leeds United this season and had been touted as a potential contender for Tottenham.

But Saints said he had decided to take "a break from the demands and pressures that are associated with being a Premier League football manager", and would continue to live in the Southampton area.

bbc
-------------------------------------------------------
Surprising news.He has done a good job with Saints and probably most of Southampton fans are sad to see him go.But, of course, manager's job is demanding one and it's understandable
that some of top-level managers want to take a break sometimes.

·
Registered
59,022 Posts
Surprising decision especially for a guy like him , since I've always thought that he liked pressure and winding up his players. Did a good job at Southampton and I'm sure that he'll be back in the premiership very soon :)

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Suprising, he was adamant a few months back he was staying with the saints for good. He's a class manager so i'm sure he'll be snapped up quickly by some top-flight club. Anyone see interviews with him? he's a nut case.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts