Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isnt a pity thing, and I apologize if this is common knowledge amongst you.

Oh, what might have been.

From dailysoccer.com:

I could sign Zidane, says Cruyff

PARIS, May 21 (DS) - Former FC Barcelona player and coach Johan Cruyff affirmed that he had agreed the terms with the French football star Zinedine Zidane. The Frenchman was supposed to join the Catalan side in 1996 when Cruyff coached Barca and Zidane played for Bordeaux, the French daily L'Equipe reported.
"I used to agree the terms with players in January or February by word of mouth. I conducted the negotiations myself for if the management found out about the deal, it would appear in all the papers. I reached an agreement with players, however I cautioned them than in case if media got the wind of the deal we won't sign a contract," revealed the former Barca manager.
"It was so that I signed a deal with Romario and so I hoped to sign Zidane and Blanc during my last season with Barca. When they sacked me, I called Zidane and explained him that our agreement was annulled. He thanked me and the case was closed," stated Johan Cruyff in an interview with the radio Onda Catalana.
Cruyff also benefited from a chance to snap at Barca's newly appointed coach Louis Van Gaal: "Van Gaal's decision to take over Barca is daring after he failed to qualify the Netherlands for the World Cup. As for me I wouldn't have joined a club where half of the personnel don't like me."

·
Registered
368 Posts
not a dream...it´s a nightmare... I really wouldn´t like seing zidane at Barça...he isn´t good...

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Max,

Barca even had another shot at Zidane later. One of the main reasons ZZ wanted to come to Spain is his wife's desire to live in her home country, and her preferance as a city was Barca basically. I don't think ZZ minded which of Spain's top two clubs he joins.

Despite we still having formation problems since he joined, i think his winner in the final sealed what a magnificent player he is. He has now won everything a player can win, a great achievment.

·
Registered
931 Posts
We must celebrate for him

He finally could sing for a club where he could win the CL, congratulations Zizou!, and of course he is too much great to play in the same team than Rochemball and Giovanni... :cool: :D :D

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Well, we were also in the position to get him in 2000. But then 25000 idiots called socios decided to vote for Gaspart, preferring someone who wanted to get suckers like Overmars and Petit instead of Zidane, who again had a deal with the Bassatt-allied Cruijff.

Since Barça is a democracy it are those 25000 fruitcakes (you know, the ones who consider themselves to be fans of the club, but don't have the brains to choose for a bright future and only use crappy sentiments as "getting back Ivan") who are guilty for the crappy situation our club is in today. So what if Bassatt was a businessman and not a die-hard fan. I have to think about the comparison people always made of Ajax with 8 spaniards. Like Barça, Ajax had the same president for many years: Van Praag. Everybody expected him to be succeeded by someone who already was at the board, but they found some manager out of the blue and he will be the next president of Ajax. In the press-release they mentioned: "he is a long-time Ajax fan and likes to attend a game with his kids every now and then." Not that anybody knew him. These days football clubs are huge companies. And they should be run like that.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Krijn said:
Well, we were also in the position to get him in 2000. But then 25000 idiots called socios decided to vote for Gaspart, preferring someone who wanted to get suckers like Overmars and Petit instead of Zidane, who again had a deal with the Bassatt-allied Cruijff.

Since Barça is a democracy it are those 25000 fruitcakes (you know, the ones who consider themselves to be fans of the club, but don't have the brains to choose for a bright future and only use crappy sentiments as "getting back Ivan") who are guilty for the crappy situation our club is in today. So what if Bassatt was a businessman and not a die-hard fan. I have to think about the comparison people always made of Ajax with 8 spaniards. Like Barça, Ajax had the same president for many years: Van Praag. Everybody expected him to be succeeded by someone who already was at the board, but they found some manager out of the blue and he will be the next president of Ajax. In the press-release they mentioned: "he is a long-time Ajax fan and likes to attend a game with his kids every now and then." Not that anybody knew him. These days football clubs are huge companies. And they should be run like that.
maybe you prefer that barça would be a company in market, where a man have all the stocks, and he decides what is good for barça, and nobody can put him out because be sure that no elections will be allowed by him. now if there are socis that make a mistake giving their votes to a person that is not good, then they can solve it voting another.
barça has more than 25000, socios, more than 90.000. all this socios than din't vote are also guilty.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Some ppl in this thread are saying that Zidane isn't good... ROFLMAO. Be realistic, stop hating on a player because he now plays for your most hated club and has won them the champions league. Zidane's class.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nrk said:

maybe you prefer that barça would be a company in market, where a man have all the stocks, and he decides what is good for barça, and nobody can put him out because be sure that no elections will be allowed by him. now if there are socis that make a mistake giving their votes to a person that is not good, then they can solve it voting another.
barça has more than 25000, socios, more than 90.000. all this socios than din't vote are also guilty.
maybe.. but the current president has been a disaster. i am too young to remember other periods, but this is truly a really bad time for barc,a. they haven't won anything and they have little money. While liga is much more competitive than it used to be.... its still a shame that barc,a hasn't won anything in 3 years.

I would much rather barc,a be run like a business than what it is being run as now.. a political machine.. serving the interests of various factions of the leaders. the fact that gaspart could make no major signings only shows how little others respect him.

(I'll give him credit for saviola.. but that is his only real sucess.. small compared to his many many failures)

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I think it´s mostly because of fear and keeping the safe middle line. The socios who voted for Gaspart proberly thought that it would be safer to give the job to a person who had been the right-hand to the former president for over 20 years. Also there is an other thing that is need to mention, Nuñez for exampel is the owner of one of the biggest buissness companys in Spain. He builld most of the things for the Olympics 92. Also Gaspart is the owner of a huge hotell company. Can it be so that many socios could be working in these companys aswell and actually have the president as their boss?

I don´t understand the comments about Zidane being old etc. This is a old story and about that we could have signed Zidane 6 years ago if Cruyff would have remaind in charge.

independente> You´re quiet a laugh!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
I know there are more socios than 25000, but Gaspart got 25000 votes, so that's why.....

nrk> that's the biggest problem: is it this democracy or a one-man-company? It's both as bad.... There's nothing wrong with conservatism, as long as it's realistic....

The big difference between his hotels and FC Barcelona is that Gaspart loves the club for what the club is, and he loves his hotels for the money they make for him. Therefore his motivation and his capability to lead the club is different. He's just a fan. Imagine: Emperor leading our club :eekani:
:D

·
Registered
190 Posts
the people who claim zidane isnt good ( :D :D :D ) must be taking a p1ss or are just mentally retarded...zidane has been the best player ever since 98...won everything there is to win and can create magic. its ok for a barca fan to be biased toward madrid, but saying zidane isnt good is a fvcking laugh!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
yes gaspart has not been a good president but this doesn't mean that democracy is bad. it would be horrible for me that a man that doesn't like even football could arrive to be the president buying allthe stocks
barça is a team where the socis can choose their president, sometimes they makes mistakes, sometimes they vote to correct person

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
I have my doubts about democracy....
Populists and people with power in the media are in the advantage. They got elected out of the sentiments voters have of them rather than what they want.
Last elections here in Holland 1.4 million people (= more than 12% of the people with the right to vote) voted for someone who was dead :eekani: Doesn't this show people don't vote with their brains?

·
A por Ellos!
6,895 Posts
Even if you do hate madrid, you couldnt say Zidane sux becoz he's class is above all at present time.... ever since i saw him play in La premiere division , he has been sensational! Even Robban would agree that Barca would wish to have Zizou coz with him, you might had a chance to beat us becoz he can turn around a game by himself.. I at least can admit that Rivaldo is world class and will show how good he is in the world cup.. and Saviola is really a talented young man who has his better years ahead of him but he has to be treated right so he can use his full talent. Only those 2 players i respect at barca :D! and of course Puyol who i think will not remain at Barca for long... :) I would love to see him play instead of Salgado as he is a total disaster... IMO Zanetti, Thuram, Kuffour, Cafu and Puyol are the best Right Backs. I wish we would have Puyol instead of Salgado and Saviola instead of Morientes.. how bout a double swap with you guys? ;) i know that gaspart would do such a stupid move as he has proved in the past, hint hint ;)

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Daopica> you know disrespecting :star: Cocu :star: is a serious crime as long as I am the FM here, don't you? :D

You're right about this. And dammit, I remember the line-ups people wrote down just before the presidential elections. Assuming Bassatt would win, because: who didn't want Zidane? There were attacks like these:
________Kluivert_________
Rivaldo___Zidane______Figo

Now two of the four play at Real, and one is a cripple..... :( Although I can't say I'm not happy with the fact Figo sucked this season....

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Krijn said:
Daopica> you know disrespecting :star: Cocu :star: is a serious crime as long as I am the FM here, don't you? :D

You're right about this. And dammit, I remember the line-ups people wrote down just before the presidential elections. Assuming Bassatt would win, because: who didn't want Zidane? There were attacks like these:
________Kluivert_________
Rivaldo___Zidane______Figo

Now two of the four play at Real, and one is a cripple..... :( Although I can't say I'm not happy with the fact Figo sucked this season....
i think figo would play with madrid because he had a contract with florentino and it was no matter who were to be barça's president if gaspart or bassat

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i don't want to let this get too far off topic... but fromwhat I read it would matte who won the presidency. remember that figo asked nunez for a new contract..and nunez said.. don't talk to me.. talk to gaspart... gaspart apparently thought getting tough with figo would give him credibility as a strong prez.. things didnt work out... somebody in barcelona tell me if I am correct.. because I don't remember exactly.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
nrk> I agree with that. I was only referring to the sentiments that were at this forum in the summer of 2000....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts