Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stokes should seek Arsenal exit – Don

February 17, 2006

Republic of Ireland under-21 manager Don Givens has urged teenage prodigy Anthony Stokes to consider a move away from Premiership big guns Arsenal.

Stokes, who will not turn 18 until the summer, has been on duty with the Ireland under-21 side in Madeira this week.

The former Shelbourne starlet has been a threat in both games against Madeira and Finland – hitting the woodwork twice – and will attempt to put Portugal to the sword in Friday’s tournament decider.

Givens has been impressed, but he feels Stokes should fly the Highbury nest in order to maintain his progress.

He told the Irish Daily Star: “It seems to be – from where I’m looking – that he needs to be thinking away from Highbury, on loan or a permanent move.

“He just needs to get out on loan somewhere to a decent team and play a bit. I would have thought he’d be ready for the Championship level.”
http://www.eleven-a-side.com/boysingreen/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=21219
Shut the fvck up. Stokes is one our best youngsters. He's rated very highly...probably higher than Ryan Smith. He's the future of the Republic of Ireland National team.

He's only 17 years old. He'll be more involved next season.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think we'll see Stokes and Bendtner both start in the Carling Cup next season. Lupoli will most likely be promoted to the first team the the other two waiting in the wings.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Why can't people stick to their own jobs? Stokes is a scoring sensation for the youth team and will progress in good time to the reserves and first team.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
However you must admit many players like Stokes end up at teams like Reading anyway. I like him personally but we will see.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
he may end up at Reading at 21, but at 17 he's in the right place if he wants to become the best player he can, i don't think going out on loan to the kickers of Coca Cola League and training in poor facilities with poor players is going to help him at this vital age.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He's got a great future and is pretty much a lock to be a Republic of Ireland international in a couple of years. He must be extremely highly rated if he could get in the Under 21 team as just a 17 year old.

·
63,337 Posts
he only got in the reserve side this year, it's too soon, give him another year of experience with our coaches and great facilities before we hand him over to the cloggers.

·
63,337 Posts
DougCoglan said:
I think that's exactly the attitude that makes our players such wimps.
:googly:

most of our players didn't come through the youth ranks.

Ashley Cole is no wimp and we didn't loan him out at 17 years old.

·
Registered
42,580 Posts
We should loan him out now, we need a player that can kick in future matches for AFC, he can be our antagonist of the future. He can learn this fine art at crappy lower division clubs that aren't as focused on playing good passing football.

Wenger should enroll him in various martial arts courses too.

·
Registered
14,806 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
:googly:

most of our players didn't come through the youth ranks.

Ashley Cole is no wimp and we didn't loan him out at 17 years old.
Ash Cole went out to Palace when he was young, not sure how young but I don't think it was far off 17.

I'm talking about the ones that don't make it through, they play in our reserves and youth sides and eventually do nothing - they are pretty much pansies in the main.

·
63,337 Posts
DougCoglan said:
Ash Cole went out to Palace when he was young, not sure how young but I don't think it was far off 17.

I'm talking about the ones that don't make it through, they play in our reserves and youth sides and eventually do nothing - they are pretty much pansies in the main.

Cole was 19, 17 is too young to just send them to the cloggers.

we have more players make it pro than any other academy, i don't think you can consider them pansies just because they didn't make it at the Arsenal, there's no logic to it.

·
63,337 Posts
DougCoglan said:
And Cole was 18 when he made debut at Palace by the way
year 2000, do the math. :shades:

and i really don't get your logic about not being physical enough, what players in particular are you on about?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts