Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Former Borussia Moenchengladbach, Real Madrid, and German International sweeper Uli Stielike has been given the task of managing "Team 2006", finding and developing talent to be ready for the World Cup in Germany. Although concentrating on youth, others would also be taken into consideration The DFB wants a team put together to nurture talent in the next couple of years specifically for the task at hand.

Names mentioned were the Koln starlet Christian Timm, as well as Tim Borowski, Fabian Ernst, Timo Hildebrand, and Roman Weidenfeller. Assisting him will be one of the alltime greats of German football, Borussia Dortmund defender Jurgen Kohler, who will manage the U21 team, taking over from the retiring Hannes Lohr.

I have been a fan of Stielike the player, but I don't think he has proven anything on the coaching level. After his fallout with the dreadfull Erich Ribbeck in the Euro 2000 debacle, I think that there were probably some other better choices. Perhaps a better selection would have been the German coach who lead Real Madrid to the Champions League title (please help me, I forgot his name). This coach was in the running for the Nationalmannschaft job, but didn't want it due to an illness with his wife. But perhaps he didn't want this particular job.

And what about the National B Team lead by Horst Hrubesch? Isn't it kind of redundant

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
15,061 Posts
I agree with you... Stielike might have been a great player (way before my time though :D ), but as a coach, he wasnt really succesful. I dont question his abilites to work with youth teams, though, cause I dont know his work well enough to do so, but somehow I got the odd feeling the DFB is again showing their lack of vision and holding on old structures and persons. :undecide:

Well, regarding the B-team... as far as I know, it has been abolished by the Task Force that was build after we got the WC06 (or was the Task Force build after the EURO exit?) Anyway, their job is to get a talented squad together out of our 80 Million people that will be able to represent their country with style and dignity in the World Cup in our home ;)
So the B team, considered as a failure, has been abolished, instead of it, we got this "team 2006", which, as far as I have understood, should be the successor of the U21 team. So players that are too old already to play in the U21, but could be still important for the upcoming tournaments, especially in 06, should be part of it

At least thats the way I remember it, it is quite a time ago they spoke about this team06 in TV or wrote about it in the German papers, maybe the plans have changed, but that was the initial purpose of it, if I recall it correctly.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Heynckes, Champ?

I think you dont need to worry so much about the coach. Whether Germany will be success or not in 2006WC mainly depends on the talents they have. even VanGaal can lead germnay to win if there are enough great players in the squad(and dont need to play qualifing round:tongue: as he is not good at this stage:eek:)

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. It was Jupp Heynckes, somebody who has a bit of a track record of success.

But Psycho might have a point. Heynckes is in his 60's. Maybe there does need to be someone who is younger who has some fresh new ideas to bring in.

The Kaiser said that German football was 10 years behind French football. He has sent many coaches to style the French youth system. Maybe a young French coach would have been a good idea. But I don't think there is a Frenchman out there that would want the job. And the DFB heads would probably want a German.

Perhaps it might be a good idea for the Bundesliga to open up like the English Premier League. If you look at all the top teams, they all have foreign coaches. Manchester United - Alex Ferguson (Scotland), Liverpool - Gerrard Houllier (France), Arsenal - Arsene Wenger (France), Leeds - David O'Leary (N. Ireland), Chelsea - Renzo Ulivieri ? (Italy). I don't know Newcastle's coach. Then off course there is Sven Goran Erickssen (Sweden), who has turned around the English National Team.

English football has really improved with the influx of foreigners. I think the Bundeliga should open up too.

Opinions?

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
The Champ said:
Thank you. It was Jupp Heynckes, somebody who has a bit of a track record of success.

But Psycho might have a point. Heynckes is in his 60's. Maybe there does need to be someone who is younger who has some fresh new ideas to bring in.
And you really think he'd accept the job, even if he was, let's say 40? :dielaugh:

·
Registered
15,061 Posts
I agree with Rafo.... Jupp is simply too good for a small job like this... he would be someone for Rudi Völlers job, but not for a youth team.

Foreign coaches? Well, they are expensive and difficult to get therefore... of course, it wouldnt hurt to get foreign influence and ideas into our league, but I dont see this as any solution of our main problems with our national team.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Correction: the coach of Chelsea is Claudio Ranieri.

And the coach of Newcastle is Bryan Robson, the only English coach of the top 6 teams in the EPL.

...I think foriegn coaches don't like going to Germany, and it may not just be the issue of money. I can't think of any foreign coaches in the Bundesliga except maybe Huub Stevens (Dutch?). However, Giovanne Trappatoni had a good spell at Bayern.

My opinion is that the DFB have to open more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts