Xtratime Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rivaldo has joined Owen and Eriksson in saying that Stevie G would have make a huge difference in England's World Cup chances ...

From Shanklygates:

Rivaldo - Gerrard's the best player in England

By James Carroll
Date: 25/6/2002

Brazil superstar Rivaldo has hailed Steven Gerrard as England's best player. The Barcelona striker says that as soon as he heard that Gerrard was forced to pull out of the World Cup due to injury, playing England would be much easier.

Rivaldo lined up for Brazil against England on Friday morning in the quarter-finals and told team mates that without Gerrard, Sven Goran Eriksson's side would be weaker.

He said: "When I realised Gerrard wasn't in Japan, I knew England would be easier to play. I have played against him a few times for Barcelona and he is the best player in England."

"Without him, the English could not be as strong. It was a big blow for them he didn't play and I told my team- mates they could not replace him."

........... Get well soon Stevie!!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
From the official site:

Steven Gerrard says the choice to put club before country was the biggest decision he has ever had to take in his career so far, which meant him missing out on the World Cup.

The Liverpool midfielder admitted he could have gone to the World Cup finals but said his groin injury would have troubled him, and he had to make the decision not to go.

He wanted to be fit for pre-season training next week and after a successful operation, the Reds star is now raring to go for the coming season.

Gerrard said: "It was one of the biggest decisions I've had to make in my career.

"I could have gone to Japan and struggled through, but I don't think I would have been any good and it wouldn't have done anyone any favours.

"I had to make the decision and I had to be faithful to my club to make sure I was fit by July to make pre-season training.

"The surgery went well and so is my rehab. We can definitely win the Premiership next year."

--------------------- The last sentence - This guy is a winner!!! One Stevie Gerrard..theres only one Stevie Gerrard!!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts