Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ristic has made a pretty good start to his Jeonbuk career, scoring two goals in the first three K-League matches of the season.

He scored his second goal yesterday, an overhead scissor-kick, in Jeonbuk's 2-1 defeat against Ulsan Hyundai - video highlights here (Jeonbuk in white, Ristic's goal after about 40 seconds of the video).

His goal against Gwangju in the first game of the season can be seen here (Jeonbuk again in white, Ristic's goal after 1:15 of the clip).

For more on Korean football in English, check out www.rokfootball.com :)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Wow great scissor kick all the more reason for him to start in Croatia. I mean come on the guy is in form he has scored 3 goals in 4 games

1 for NT and 2 for Jeonbuk and lets not forget he was the top scorer in the Mak Liga for like 3 yrs? :thumbsup:

Katanec would be idiot not to start him!

Thanks Holyjoe and keep us informed with his progress :thumbsup:

ps - 3 threads weren't necessary, 1 is more than enough :smileani:

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Why are those videos loading sooooo slow. Its so annoying.

But anyway, what a goal :eek:

He MUST start vs. Croatia. No doubts anymore.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, sorry for the three threads ;)

Actually I forgot to mention that Ristic 'scored' in the second league match of the season against Suwon but it was ruled out for a handball. I was reasonably impressed with him in that game, looks a strong, powerful forward and I have no doubt he will continue to score if he gets decent service.

If the other videos were slow to load for you then you might not like these - the full first half and second half of Jeonbuk v Suwon from March 11th. Ristic's 'goal' comes from about 13:45 in the second half video. Nice finish, but he got booked for his troubles.

First half

Second half

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I think hes after the top scorer award hehehe :lick: :thumbsup:

I saw a Macedonian Flag in the crowd :proud:

Haha the commentator calls him Stevor

·
Registered
337 Posts
i take back what i said about korean league been better than Belgium. Judging by what i just saw, the K-league is weak, but better than macedonian league atleast.

·
Registered
972 Posts
kade go imas gledano?

·
Registered
207 Posts
MKD Fanatico said:
kade go imas gledano?
На вториот линк што е поставен бре Фанатико :D

Thanks Holyjoe, great post and links:)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great_Macedonian said:
Holyjoe what nationality are you?
Scottish... but live in Korea :)

And yeah, the full name of the team is Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors FC. It is one of two K-League clubs owned and financed by the Hyundai corporation, the other being Ulsan Hyundai Horang-i (they also operate Ulsan Hyundai Mipo Dockyard in the second division). Interestingly enough both sides were competing in the 2006 AFC Champions League, Ulsan as 2005 K-League champions and Jeonbuk as 2005 Korean FA Cup winners. Hyundai were having a bit of a political crisis at that point and were looking to cut costs, so seriously considered pulling one of their two sides out of the ACL. Ulsan were considered more likely to go on to win the tournament so Jeonbuk were almost withdrawn midway through the group stages but they decided they would keep both teams in it as they considered the financial penalties for pulling the team out would have been greater than the actual cost of particiapation.

In the end Jeonbuk thumped Ulsan on aggregate in the semi-finals and then went on to win the tournament and compete in the World Club Championship, bringing in a ton of money and making it all worthwhile for Hyundai.

It should also be pointed out that Jeonbuk are one of the weaker sides in the K-League, and despite winning the Asian Championship last year they finished 11th out of 14 in the K-League. Ulsan are the priority for Hyundai, really.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alex-10 said:
Haha the commentator calls him Stevor
"Stevo" (rough translation) is the name he has on the back of his shirt in Korean. Most foreign players in the K-League tend to be known by first names or nicknames, for the simple reason that it's easier for Korean fans to pronounce and/or remember than their surnames.

For example, when Blaze Ilioski was at Incheon he was known as "Bajo", and Goran Petreski was known as "Conan" at Pohang and they had those names on their shirts.

For this season (excluding Brazilians), amongst the foreign players in the league Croatian defender Mato Neretljak is just "Mato", Ivan Peric is "Ivan", Nikola Vasiljevic is "Nikola", Dragan Mladenovic is "Dragan", Dejan Damjanovic is "Dejan" and Argentine forward Fabian Caballero is "Tyson" for some reason. Only Dzenan Radoncic (Incheon) and Adrian Constantin Neaga (Seongnam) have their surnames on their shirts.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Holyjoe, do you have any info on Dragan Stojkov? I think he went on trial at Incheon United and I dont know whether he signed or not...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alex-10 said:
Holyjoe, do you have any info on Dragan Stojkov? I think he went on trial at Incheon United and I dont know whether he signed or not...
Yeah he was on trial at the same time as Serbian forward Dejan Damjanovic, but the club decided to sign Damjanovic instead. Only three foreigners allowed in K-League squads and they already had Dzenan Radoncic and Dragan Mladenovic there.

This was a photo of them training with the club (Stojkov on the right):

1 - 20 of 52 Posts