Xtratime Community banner

Steven Gerrard?

912 views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  Chxta 
#1 ·
Rumours are circulating around Italy that Juventus are after Liverpool Captain Steven Gerrard. There is talk that Gerrard is Capello's and Moggi's number one target to help strengthen the midfield over the summer, a spot in which the right partner for Emerson has not been found yet. If Liverpool do not qualify for next season's Champions League, Gerrard might be inclined to try a new experiance elsewhere.

It could be a possibility, however Zambrotta or Trezeguet would surely have to go to gain money for Gerrard's 30 million price tag.

#3 ·
i see others outbidding juve. if he was on the market, he would be the number one man on every clubs list. i would think Real Madrid would bid a shitload for him as well.

i think he would be a good player to have as he is quality, but i still think a more creative player is needed. unless capello changes tactics of course and allows emerson, gerrard and a man behind the forwards to play, but i doubt this.

#5 ·
I see Capello trying to build a team smiliar to what he had at Roma, two DM that can score and pass the ball well and is traying to get Cassano(imo) to partner the big target man - ibra - that he never had at Roma although he wanted Vieri alot, the rest of the team is pretty much set although Nedved hasnt been as influential as he had been previous seasons

#11 ·
Just because we don't pay an obscene amount of money on Gerrard, doesn't mean we'll be stuck with Blasi next season. There are still good DMs out there who won't indebten us to acquire them.

I can only think of two cases were we indulged in a bidding war in recent memory, and both times we conceded immediately once the price started getting too rich for our blood. Unlike teams such as Milan and Real, because we function as a independant financial entity without anyone bankrolling us, we have to act responsibly when it comes to fiscal matters. And that means not taking part in the sort of bidding wars that spiral price tags upwards, which Gerrard's sale would inevitably induce.

#14 ·
Rob Edwards said:
Yeah, Chelsea and Real both want him (even though I suspect he'll stay now). Juve don't tend to go into silly bidding wars with teams like that.
I don't see Gerrard going to Chelsea because he is the sort of the big name big ego player Mourinho tries to avoid, and besides they will get more years out of Makelele, Lampard, Tiago, etc. Real Madrid is always a possibility, however for some reason I don't see him going there either.

#15 ·
Steven Gerrard hasn't been linked to us like Cassano has soo I don't see him joining Juve at all because we just dont go for bidding wars and clubs with more money will be after him but if he wants to go to Juve, I am sure we will get him but that's EXTREMELY unlikely that he would want to come to Juve. It is just another stupid rumour. :rolleyes:

#16 ·
Andy said:
I don't see Gerrard going to Chelsea because he is the sort of the big name big ego player Mourinho tries to avoid, and besides they will get more years out of Makelele, Lampard, Tiago, etc. Real Madrid is always a possibility, however for some reason I don't see him going there either.
Where do you get the idea Gerrard has a big ego?

Mourinho wants him because he's miles better than Tiago and still has his peak ahead of him. Whether he'll get him or not I don't know. I'd think his chances at the moment lie as...

1) Stay at Liverpool
2) Go to Chelsea
3) Go to Madrid

I really don't think Juve or any Italian side feature in his immediate future.

#17 ·
Andy said:

Belive me Mourinho is a fan of Steven Gerrard, He said he regreted not getting him in the summer.

#18 ·
Andy said:
Rumours are circulating around Italy that Juventus are after Liverpool Captain Steven Gerrard. There is talk that Gerrard is Capello's and Moggi's number one target to help strengthen the midfield over the summer, a spot in which the right partner for Emerson has not been found yet. If Liverpool do not qualify for next season's Champions League, Gerrard might be inclined to try a new experiance elsewhere.

It could be a possibility, however Zambrotta or Trezeguet would surely have to go to gain money for Gerrard's 30 million price tag.

good joke :howler: :howler: :howler:

#19 ·
Jern Lizardhous said:
top player but outrageously obscene price, if Juve have that sort of money they should use it more creatively and get 3 or 4 top men in.
Moggi would agree to that as well Jern. I personally would like him at juve, but not at a price which makes Moggi look at no others.

Juve right now needs a lot. they need creativeness in midfield with better back up on bench. they need a striker who can score 20 goals plus a season and actually play more than 70% of games each season and most of all they need to fix that defence. Spending 30 million on Gerrard would be stupid imo.

for that kind of money, we could get gilardino, rosicky and a good young defender such as barzagli. something like that would be more useful.

#20 ·
Gerrard is a great player, no doubt what so ever about that. With that said, I would rather see us going after Pizarro, who would cost so much less. If the Gerrard rumours are true ( I think they arn't), his price tag would be enermous, say 30 Millions. That means whole our transfer budget is put on him. If we'd go after Pizarro, he would cost something like 10-15 millions, and we could adress other shortcomings in our squad with the rest. Because we have a lot of those. Shortcomings..

#21 ·
Am I the only one who thinks that Gerrard is a tard over-rated?

I prefer accessing players when they play against top quality opposition, and so far this season IMO he has failed to impose himself and dominate the midfield when faced with the best defensive midfielders England has to offer. In the 2 games (3 if you include the League Cup final) against Chel$ki, Makelele got the better of him. Ditto Roy Keane against ManU. Only against an underperforming (this season) Vieira that he dominated the midfield, and that was in the Anfield fixture.
I think we should use that obscene asking price of Liverpool's to get someone better for much less. I'd have been much happier if this gist had gone: Xabi Alonso?

#22 ·
My feeling is that Beckham, Owen, woodgate will make it easier for him to make the jump to La Liga

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.