Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since it will affect this forum in the sense that it will create a change in the Forum Managers, I thought I'd share with you this letter of resignation that I have just handed in:

--
After a only a short time as a Community Manager, I have made a difficult decision: I am resigning from my position as Community Manager, and as Forum Manager of the Milan and US Soccer forums.

Let me explain.

I was used to coming and going when I wanted to, reading and posting when I wanted to, and reading and posting what I wanted to. Even when I was only a Forum Manager of the US Soccer forum, its relative quietness and the fact that Oldsocfan and Herndonite were always there gave me flexibility. When I then accepted the position of Community Manager, I knew it would be time consuming. Right in the beginning my post count started rising more rapibdly than before, with almost all of my posts having to do with the position. But I felt I was doing something important and was willing to accept this. After a while, however, eventhough there were Admins and Community Managers doing more work than I was, I found that I was spending all my time online being a Community Manager, making posts because of my position, reading and writing PMs because of my position, and browsing and searching the site because of my position. While I think it is great that some people are able to do this, I am unfortunately not one of them, since it doesn't seem quite right to come to a football site not to discuss football.

But this might have been tolerable if it hadn't been for another factor: the personal agendas and politics, and the troublemakers. Although my decision to resign is not solely based on the events of the past week or so, I think they helped me realize something I apparently already knew: I neither have the desire nor the energy to deal with the agendas, the politics, and the troublemakers. This was a large part of the reason for why I resigned as Forum Manager of the Brazilian forum over a year ago. But the atmosphere of the US Soccer forum lured me back into becoming a Forum Manager, and when I accepted the position of Community Manager I thought things might be different and that I could help fight the politics, agendas, and troublemakers. That meant having to deal with them, however, and as I already knew, I did not have the desire or energy for that. Again, there are those who are good at it, I am not one of them.

I really should have listened to my instincts, but I was too eager to help. I hope everyone can understand.

One thing that came out of this was that my appreciation for the other Community Managers and Admins has grown. It was a pleasure to see them in action.

As for my replacements, I think Dae and bono should be fine in the Milan forum without a third FM, though I will try to help revitalize it whenever I visit. Unless Oldsocfan wants back his position of Forum Manager of the US Soccer forums, I suppose a replacement for me should be appointed. And unless everyone is fine with five Community Managers, I suppose some candidates should be chosen by the Management Team and a replacement should be elected by the Forum Managers.

This is not how I wanted things to go, but I think it is for the best. I wish the best of luck to everyone, and hope to see y'all around in the forums.
--

No more Community Manager, no more Forum Manager. From now I'll just be a regular member.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Tim...I can understand your choice but like Olds said, I hope that you can reconsider. I understand your points in that you want to post about football but other things were preventing you from doing that. But, in the short time that you were a CM you were very fair to everyone. I wish you can stay on but if not I hope that you can contribute regularly on the board....good luck Tim..

·
Registered
674 Posts
Timmy!

Tim,

I am sorry about your news, but totally understamd.

Without details, names or incriminations, can you tell me something more about the issues that caused you to resign (other than the huge time committment)? Especially, I guess I am interested in whether the US forum is rife with these problems or whether they are mainly on other forums you work with. As a user, my impression is that this particular forum runs smoothly and the posters are considerate of one another. But, I have no idea whether this forum causes lots of problems even as smoothly as it seems to run.

I am just curious.

Thanks again for all your efforts and those of the others (and you know who you are!) that make this forum available, entertaining, and interesting.

Oldplayer

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, OP, the US Soccer forums are fantastic and there are no problems here at all. But there generally always have been people and will always be people who want to cause problems, or who have developed a personal dislike for one another and want to turn every situation into a soap opera. It annoys me in the non-cyber world, and it pisses me off to see it happen in a place were people are supposed to be discussing football in a friendly manner. As a Forum Manager one gets a glimpse into the dark side of the site, even if one's own forum is peaceful. And as a Community Manager one actively has to deal with that dark side, and I lack the energy and desire to deal with unreasonable and problematic people on this site. I'd much rather spend my time here with y'all, and let someone more suitable for the position replace me.

·
International
5,629 Posts
Tim said:
No, OP, the US Soccer forums are fantastic and there are no problems here at all. But there generally always have been people and will always be people who want to cause problems, or who have developed a personal dislike for one another and want to turn every situation into a soap opera. It annoys me in the non-cyber world, and it pisses me off to see it happen in a place were people are supposed to be discussing football in a friendly manner. As a Forum Manager one gets a glimpse into the dark side of the site, even if one's own forum is peaceful. And as a Community Manager one actively has to deal with that dark side, and I lack the energy and desire to deal with unreasonable and problematic people on this site. I'd much rather spend my time here with y'all, and let someone more suitable for the position replace me.
B!tch smack the pups Tim!

Btw you're always welcome to manage the Portuguese forums. It's exciting, not always about soccer, and we have Pila. :D

Nothing crazy ever happens there. ;)

·
Registered
674 Posts
Tim Resigns

Tim, thanks for the expansion.

RedEagle, I enjoy Pila when he's around. Thanks for the links you provided recently.

Oldplayer

·
International
5,629 Posts
I'll try to get some more OP. Actually I think these forums are going through a purification process before the madness starts.

As for Pila, I'm sure he's probably the cause of many of Tim's issues with some at Xtime . Pila is like the Non PC plague here at Xtime, all the rats feel they must transmit the disease. :D

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
I know what you mean Tim, I have an Issue with OP He thinks Im Lunny, I just want to see the picture of him in that dress he was wearing when Hern gave Him Mouth to Mouth, It shold be mounted on an Extra Time tee shirt. :D
Just Ignore the Bums Tim they will go away.

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nah, haven't had any problems with Pila at all, though he does piddle against my leg every now and then. :D

Paul, I wanna see that pic of OP, too! :D ;)

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Just think of all the money ET could make on the sales. Mugs, Shirts, Pins we would be in the Black for years to come.:greed:

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Well that Jersey was awfull Long OP, but I understand thats your story and stick to it, even though we know the difference. And I guess that High heel shoe you were wearing was a footie boot with a very long stud....:rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
PAULMAY said:
And I guess that High heel shoe you were wearing was a footie boot with a very long stud....:rolleyes: :D
Musta been one of them new Nike SuperTrak five inch studs. :D

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Well that will Be OP's side of it any way. But it might be nice if one of us tells Hern that he is not to rip off his Jersey and expose that Nike sports bras evry time a goal is scored against him, but only when he score a goal. I know its been a long time but....;) :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts