STEPHEN CARR is not and will not be having a hernia operation despite some gossip published on a variety of ill-informed websites recently: "Give me a few weeks and I'll be fit," he claimed.
Carr is furious that speculation about surgery has built up around a problem which was quickly solved by a trip to a specialist in Italy.
And Carr is ready to give Mick McCarthy a huge boost in a few week’s time by telling the Irish boss that he is close to a return to competitive action.
“I haven't spoken to Mick McCarthy since Christmas simply because I had nothing concrete to tell him but that should hopefully change in a fortnight,” said Carr.
“Despite what you might have read recently, I am not about to have a hernia operation. There has been a lot of speculation that I'm going to have an operation but it is simply not true. I have had a stomach problem recently for which I've been seeing a doctor in Italy but as things stand an operation is the last thing on my mind.”
“So, rather than being on the verge of going under the knife, I'm stepping up my training programme by the day. I'm able to kick a ball without any trouble and I'm running faster by the week - maybe not full sprinting just yet, but not a million miles away.”
“If everything goes according to plan, I hope to be in full training with the rest of the lads in two to three weeks. After that, we'll have to wait and see in terms of competitive action.”
“A few weeks ago, as I was building up my rehabilitation after my knee operation, I started feeling a tightness in my stomach. I told Glenn Hoddle and he recommended I fly out to Milan to see a doctor who is an expert with this kind of thing.
"It's the sort of problem that can eventually lead to a hernia but can be prevented. I thought it was worth a try and I'm glad I did.”
“The doctor gave me a series of injections which loosen up the muscles in the back, which are apparently connected to the tightness in the stomach. To be fair, they seem to have worked a treat because I haven't had any pain for over a week and I haven't been back to Italy for treatment since the start of last week.”
Steve Carr will not play for Tottenham this season after breaking down in training as he tried to regain full fitness following surgery to his troubled knee back in December.
The Republic of Ireland full-back who only last week said "I'm that excited right now and I'm getting closer and closer to being ready to play for the first team again", is almost certainly out of Ireland's World Cup squad
The 25-year-old Dubliner who has not played so far this season having incurred his injury pre-season would have been one of the first names pencilled onto Mick McCarthy's list had he regained match fitness.
Crap crap crap crap!!!! Very very bad news, the man we voted as our best deffender looks like he won't be going to the WC. CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!
Tottenham Hotspur's Irish international full back Stephen Carr looks certain to miss the World Cup after suffering a setback in his attempt to come back from a lengthy injury absence.
The London Evening Standard reported on Wednesday that Carr, who has been sidelined for the whole of the current season with a knee injury, was aiming to make a comeback in a few weeks but now faces a further lay-off.
The news comes not only as a blow to Tottenham manager Glenn Hoddle but also Ireland coach Mick McCarthy who was keen to add to the 26-year-old's 18 caps.
Carr was a revelation last season but sustained the injury in the summer and could now miss the entire season.
Source : Reuters
what a bad news for us... :depress:
so who will replace carr at right back for ireland in the WC???
Republic of Ireland coach Mick McCarthy is confident Tottenham right back Steve Carr will be fit enough to play at the World Cup Finals despite being injured for most of the season.
Carr is regarded by many as one of the best right wingbacks in the English Premiership, and his lengthy spell on the sidelines had raised doubts over Ireland's chances at the World Cup.
Such is the quality of the player that McCarthy insists on bringing the White Hart Lane star to Korea/Japan despite his lack of first team action.
"Steve is a world class defender and I am prepared to wait as long as possible to give him a chance of recovering in time for the finals," said McCarthy.
"He's a lad who doesn't normally need a lot of work to get himself fully fit and were he to play the last four or five games of the season for Tottenham without any problems, that would be good enough for me."
Tottenham assistant manager John Gorman is refusing to rule long-term injury victim Stephen Carr out for the season. Carr has been out of action since July with a serious knee injury and he has undergone an operation to solve the problem.
It was feared that the Republic of Ireland international could miss the rest of the campaign after breaking down in training, but Gorman is hopeful that he will able to call upon the right wing-back before the season draws to a close.
The 25-year-old is determined to prove his fitness so that he can make this summer's World Cup finals and although he has suffered a setback Gorman insists the problem is nothing serious. "It is not a major setback," said Gorman.
"The good thing is, he is feeling a lot better. "It is just that because of the type of injury he suffered, everything has to be done carefully and done right. "He has not been ruled out because he is a fit lad and there is every chance of an improvement in his condition."