Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably the most succesful Greek player abroad,this thread is dedicated to him.

Hes been pretty much a regular at Bolton since he went there in september 2003,helping reach the carling cup final last season and in the top half of the table.

This season he has scored the winner against Arsenal and has a couple of MOM performances :)

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I got the chance to watch him play this weekend -- he did pretty well with gardner on the left tho he didnt see much of the ball in the final third. I think he got subbed off in the 2nd half in favor of Diouf (I didnt watch the start of the second half and when I put it on Diouf was on and Stelios was off). Overall Id give him a 6.

--Props to Stelios for giving Davies that steely glare after he missed that gimme.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Oh and PAF, I wouldnt say Stelios is the most successful Greek abroad, not even top 5 really.

1. Dabizas
2. Charisteas
3. Vryzas
4. Zagorakis
5. Machlas

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nah man,Charisteas hasnt really ''done it'' yet.He wasnt a regular at bremen.

Vryzas hasnt got a very good scoring record abroad,wasnt a regular at fiorentina etc

Zagorakis maybe you have a point (Carling cup with leicester,relatively regular place in the XI)

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
PAO_ARSENAL said:
Nah man,Charisteas hasnt really ''done it'' yet.He wasnt a regular at bremen.

Vryzas hasnt got a very good scoring record abroad,wasnt a regular at fiorentina etc

Zagorakis maybe you have a point (Carling cup with leicester,relatively regular place in the XI)
Well Stelios wasnt a regular last year and only scored 2 goals, this year hes been above average but hasnt scored much (2 goals again).

Charisteas earns more money and has played longer in the Bliga - he has a hat trick, a championship, and a cup. And his first year he scored some 9 goals I believe -- and he would have been starting had he not been injured and gave Klasnic the opportunity to take his job. Whereas Stelios was being benched in favor of Pedersen :googly:

Vryzas played Serie A for over 3 years and was a regular for Perugia the whole time. He had a decent scoring record and played much more than Stelios has. Stelios is old and hes only played a year and a half abroad (and not with any consistency). Where Stelios is a much better player than Vryzas is and Machlas was they have had mroe success.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Vryzas played Serie A for over 3 years and was a regular for Perugia the whole time.
Not that I'm trying to slag Vryzas here but looking at the rest of that side (yes Zeljko Kalac we're talking about you) you'd be pretty worried if he wasn't a regular there.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
As for Giannakopoulos (why do the English insist on calling him stelios?) he's had a great two years at Bolton. They're doing exceptionally well with him........

...and that Diouf twat!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
yes but he was in and out of the lineup all the time

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think last season he played over 25 games and about 15 so far this season

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
yea how many did he start tho

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats the number hes started ;)

Hes figured in almost ALL Games,you can call him a ''regular'' gooni :)

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
yea that makes sense...

more or less though charisteas was a "regular" as well... granted he may have played 10+ min a game, he more or less featured in all of them

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
They call Giannakopoulos Stelios beacus they cant pronounce his name. No jokes....

Anyway, the most succesfull Greek abroad would have to be Machlas by far (Pre Ajax). Not trophy wise but by the succes hes had.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
g00nis said:
yea that makes sense...

more or less though charisteas was a "regular" as well... granted he may have played 10+ min a game, he more or less featured in all of them
I told you already re,he STARTS most of the games.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another good display for Stelara as Bolton get to the last 8 of the FA CUP!

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Stellara scored against Newcastle yesterday :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
he had a great game for bolton as they bravely fought with ten men against arsenal,he came close on three occasions to scoring ,all the chances were headers.hes in very good form.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
he seems to have finally settled in and hes playing like he did with OSFP 2 yrs ago

1 - 20 of 24 Posts