Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 450 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've now watched approximately 15 minutes of the SOTU address, and I don't think I can take much more.

What I'm curious about is, won't future generations wonder how millions could be starving on the planet while at the same time being asked to swallow so much b.s.?
 

·
Nasty Woman
Joined
·
22,583 Posts
I watched Fawlty Towers videos instead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33,807 Posts
Good choice, Hummy. I was channel-surfing instead, though it was difficult to escape the State of the Onion...
 

·
Nasty Woman
Joined
·
22,583 Posts
What did he say about health care? (Bush I mean...not Basil Fawlty).

that's #1 priority at my office as we just got hit with a 20 percent premium increase.
 

·
Community Analyst
Joined
·
32,844 Posts
Humbird said:
What did he say about health care? (Bush I mean...not Basil Fawlty).

that's #1 priority at my office as we just got hit with a 20 percent premium increase.
Rising health care costs are a fact of life. Start budgeting for annual increases, it'll get worse before it'll get better for the next decade (and beyond). Take advantage of this fact.
 

·
Nasty Woman
Joined
·
22,583 Posts
Pila said:
Rising health care costs are a fact of life. Start budgeting for annual increases, it'll get worse before it'll get better for the next decade (and beyond). Take advantage of this fact.
I understand what you are saying Pila, but we can't pass every expense on to the clients. We pay for health insurance for all our employees, staff, secretaries and ourselves. When hiring, it's getting to the point that we want only married secretaries who can get insurance from their spouse's companies. Or we may even go to part-time only employees. Or we only hire young ones because their premiums are so much lower. Are you saying that nobody over 40 will be employable soon? At 34, you might want to think twice about this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55,811 Posts
personately i like this one :

America will never seek a permission slip to defend the security of our country. (Applause.)
 

·
Nasty Woman
Joined
·
22,583 Posts
mali said:
personately i like this one :

America will never seek a permission slip to defend the security of our country. (Applause.)
you are so dim.
 

·
Community Analyst
Joined
·
32,844 Posts
No. You'll have no choice but to pass on, at least, a part of the cost to the employees. My health benefits have gone considerably up from last year, which was already up from the year before, and it'll go up again, and again... The company has no choice but to pass some of this cost to us. This isn't the company being greedy, it is simply a rising expense.

There's no miracle solution, people are retiring in record numbers. Senior population will more than double in the next ten years - the increase in demand for health services will drive the market no matter who's in office.
 

·
Nasty Woman
Joined
·
22,583 Posts
Pila said:
No. You'll have no choice but to pass on, at least, a part of the cost to the employees. My health benefits have gone considerably up from last year, which was already up from the year before, and it'll go up again, and again... The company has no choice but to pass some of this cost to us. This isn't the company being greedy, it is simply a rising expense.

There's no miracle solution, people are retiring in record numbers. Senior population will more than double in the next ten years - the increase in demand for health services will drive the market no matter who's in office.
Small businesses like ours can't compete anymore. We try to do the right thing by our employees, but then we look at the office next to us who employ only part timers and pay no health care, no retirement, no paid vacations, no nothing.

It doesn't pay to take care of your workers and foster loyalty to the firm.

I don't think I'll ever be able to retire. I'll drop dead at 95 still sitting in my swivel chair.

Nobody will notice.
 

·
Community Analyst
Joined
·
32,844 Posts
Humbird said:
Small businesses like ours can't compete anymore. We try to do the right thing by our employees, but then we look at the office next to us who employ only part timers and pay no health care, no retirement, no paid vacations, no nothing.

It doesn't pay to take care of your workers and foster loyalty to the firm.

I don't think I'll ever be able to retire. I'll drop dead at 95 still sitting in my swivel chair.

Nobody will notice.
Wrong attitude. Think about this: when was the last time you knew with great certainty that a market will increase in demand for over a decade?

There's unprecedented opportunity here.

As to the nature of competing, it's no different than it has been since forever. Those with the most innovation, win.
 

·
Community Analyst
Joined
·
32,844 Posts
mali said:
well, it depends what is considered as threat for the defense of your country.
Do-nothing yentas.
 

·
Nasty Woman
Joined
·
22,583 Posts
Pila said:
As to the nature of competing, it's no different than it has been since forever. Those with the most innovation, win.
All well and good, but what's the point of innovation if nobody can afford to buy your products/services because they are all unemployed?
 

·
Community Analyst
Joined
·
32,844 Posts
Humbird said:
All well and good, but what's the point of innovation if nobody can afford to buy your products/services because they are all unemployed?
You really think that driving costs to one market is going to unemploy everyone? That's very short-sighted, and very inaccurate.

If anything, labor demands will rise along with the costs. Remember the vacancies being left behind by the new wave of retirees. Remember that someone will have to provide services these new retirees will require. That means an increase in administration. Whihc in turn means a demand for even more practioners in all fields.

It'll be businesses competing for your services, not you for theirs. What you're feeling is merely a natural struggle adapting to market changes. Long-term, you're set like a state employee. You just don't see it yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,168 Posts
Humbird said:
Small businesses like ours can't compete anymore. We try to do the right thing by our employees, but then we look at the office next to us who employ only part timers and pay no health care, no retirement, no paid vacations, no nothing.

It doesn't pay to take care of your workers and foster loyalty to the firm.

I don't think I'll ever be able to retire. I'll drop dead at 95 still sitting in my swivel chair.

Nobody will notice.
What kind of company do you have Humbird?
Very good post btw. I don't know enough about the actual disagreement you have with Pila, but the changed relationship between company and worker IS ultra significant in many ways.
 

·
Nasty Woman
Joined
·
22,583 Posts
Pila said:
You really think that driving costs to one market is going to unemploy everyone? That's very short-sighted, and very inaccurate.

If anything, labor demands will rise along with the costs. Remember the vacancies being left behind by the new wave of retirees. Remember that someone will have to provide services these new retirees will require. That means an increase in administration. Whihc in turn means a demand for even more practioners in all fields.
Don't be naieve Pila. These administrative jobs are already located at a call center in Bombay.
 

·
Nasty Woman
Joined
·
22,583 Posts
Glen said:
What kind of company do you have Humbird?
Very good post btw. I don't know enough about the actual disagreement you have with Pila, but the changed relationship between company and worker IS ultra significant in many ways.
A law firm, Glen.
 
1 - 20 of 450 Posts
Top