Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the current league system that was finally adopted for the Brazilian Championship, the number of clubs that can realistically aspire for the national trophy has been reduced dramatically.

MANY clubs that traditionally are/have been considered "big clubs" are discovering that without the eight-team playoffs that offered decent chances for everyone, the national title is much much tougher to win. That increases the importance of the Brazilian Cup – where the 'playoffs' are still present – and, of course, the old State Championships, where teams that have NO chance whatsoever in the League can still feel the warm glow of raising trophies. :moan:

Well, the Brazilian Cup is pretty much unpredictable – in 2003 the traditional Cruzeiro won it, but in 2004 we saw Santo Andre beat all odds and win the trophy, interestingly over the same Flamengo that had already lost the 2003 final to Cruzeiro (following a history of Brazilian Cup 'upsets' that also gave us Juventude and Criciuma in the past). But the State Championships are much more predictable.

My question is... what do YOU think will happen in this year's State Championships?

I'll venture some guesses to get the ball rolling, but I'll stay with the four better-known State Championships because I'm not terribly familiar with the other tournaments.

>> In Rio de Janeiro I consider Fluminense – now with Felipe, Preto Casagrande and Tuta – as the biggest favorite, as they have a good backbone, a good manager and they come from a decent campaign in the 2004 League. Botafogo and Vasco are the best bets to prove me wrong: Bota got some good reinforcements like Cesar Prates and Ramon but the squad is dangerously thin in some positions. And Vasco signed some good players like Alex Dias and Allan Dellon (although we must remember that Allan Dellon was a reserve in Vitoria last year, and Vitoria was relegated), not forgetting Romario (who really should have retired to avoid further embarassment). Flamengo has no chance IMO, their current team may be the weakest Fla in history.

It's interesting to note that while Botafogo, Fla and Flu are at least TRYING to get organized (with varying levels of competence) and avoid mistakes of past seasons like delayed wages and signing useless players, Vasco is going in the opposite direction. For example, a couple of weeks ago Vasco signed their FIFTH leftback. That's right, FIVE athletes for the same position, all unknown small-team players that Vasco is "betting on". Maybe they're just getting ready for the inevitable 'mass exodus' of players that they already went through in 2003 and 2004; since Vasco always delays the payment of wages for several months, any Vasco player who shows some quality simply sues the club and becomes a free agent, leaving the club at will – like Fabio left for Cruzeiro, Moraes left for Atletico-PR and Da Silva left for Flamengo. :greed: So Vasco may be signing so many redundant players just to cover for the predictable losses of whoever shows some quality, by signing more players than usual. :wth: It would be a shame if Vasco won with this irresponsible management, but it wouldn't be the first time.

>> In São Paulo, I think the joint favorites are Santos – the current Brazilian champs, reinforced by Fabio Baiano, Henao and Tcheco – and São Paulo – that mantained their good squad from last season and also signed qualified players such as Mineiro, Josue and Luisão. If I had to choose only one favorite I'd pick São Paulo, whose team looks much more solid defensively. Palmeiras is the third force.

Last season's Paulista champion São Caetano has been dismantled: the best players left, their main benefactor died, their investors are withdrawing after the bad publicity that surrounded Serginho's death, and São Caetano will probably follow Bragantino's path now. Corinthians signed some good players (although the term "galacticos" that some people are using really doesn't apply to their squad) but the team will take too long to gel and they're already losing too many points in the first rounds, which is not good on a league system (the format of the SP championship). I don't think the new Corinthians will be "ready" in time to recover the lost ground on the SP competition... so the Copa do Brasil will probably be their biggest priority for the 1st semester.

>> There are other posters more qualified than me to talk about the Minas Championship, but Cruzeiro looks like the strongest candidate from where I'm looking. With Fabio, Maldonado, Maurinho and Fred, Cruzeiro's team just looks more convincing. Even though Atletico-MG signed Euller and Vagner and kept Rodrigo Fabri, I get the impression that there are too many youngsters in Galo's team. But I'm interested in the perspectives of MG fans, which I'm sure are more informed than mine. ;)

>> And about the Gaucho Championship... I'd put my money on Internacional, now strenghtened by experienced players like Tinga, Jorge Wagner and Augusto Recife to balance their excellent crop of youngsters. The second force will probably be Juventude, that also had a good campaign in the 2004 National League and signed decent players like Ze Carlos (ex-Botafogo, ex-Flamengo) and keeper Julio Sergio (ex-Santos). Gremio is not only rebuilding their squad after being relegated but their biggest priority is obviously the Serie B in the 2nd semester.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey, I realize that the first post bored you all to tears but someone must have some opinion about this. C'mon, throw me a bone here! :D What are your predictions for the State Championships this year?

·
Registered
19,633 Posts
OK, I'll be the first one:

Vasco will win the Carioca championship. :stuckup: :mute:
And Romario will be the leading scorer.

Don't ask me for explanations, I just feel it. ;) :D

·
Administrator
30,826 Posts
State championships bore me actually a bit...

I have a few opinions, The Carioca is lame, but the tvs still show it and they still say it will be the salvation of the regionals. Any normal poeple would hate clubs from Rio for such invasion and hypocrisy, but i am far from normal. I do not see any wonder for Flu, Felipe is those days a sea gull, Botafogo looked more focused with their signings...

For Sao Paulo, It is a bit too long and people are doing a big drama for Corinthians, but since they are the only big one without Libertadores, then they may have room to go after it.

In Minas, depends. Procopio is not a great stuff, atletico did not signed well but if Renato stays, then he alone can face Cruzeiro because their left side is poor and actually, they did not wonder either.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JCamilo said:
I do not see any wonder for Flu, Felipe is those days a sea gull, Botafogo looked more focused with their signings...
The thing is, last year the "sea gull" was enough for Flamengo to win the trophy. And Botafogo has made good signings, yes, but there are still gaping holes in the squad. Overall I do think Flu has a more balanced group – but of course, unbalanced groups HAVE won the Carioca in the past, so I do hope Botafogo proves me wrong. :happy: :D

·
Administrator
30,826 Posts
But tell me, there is any club in rio without Gapping holes ?
there is other thing, the system, not turn and return, with finals and such give more chance for those teams, for they just need to not have the holes in the finals.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JCamilo said:
But tell me, there is any club in rio without Gapping holes ?
JC, if we use the other Rio teams as parameters we'll be screwed forever. :D

·
Administrator
30,826 Posts
well, just for the regionals, just for it :)

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
JC it is agood sign to your Galo

Last year Cruzeiro lost to Valeriodoce in the first round and took the estadual

Maybe this year will be your turn (I hope not,of course)

For me the Mineiro was very interesting , thanks also to radio Itatiaia and the Alterosa compactos

I also have seen some paulista games in ESPN quite injoyed the final andthe olimpic goal of Elano against Guarani

The others I sometimes listened to Jovempan and radio gaucha

:)

Some estaduais were quite difficult to follow like the
Gaucho

This year they made it more simple

In MHO, the most interesting thing are the many classicos which attracts more public than some Brazilerao games and even libertadores

Furthermore i have learned about some distant towns and places .. I just adore the estaduais

·
Administrator
30,826 Posts
My Dear,
But it is Atletico's fate to make the first steps, not to follow one. An Omen that is good for Cruzeiro is not good for Atletico.
However, I must point , Valerio was also the only team (but Cruzeiro) able to defeat Atletico in the last Mineiro.

In MHO, the most interesting thing are the many classicos which attracts more public than some Brazilerao games and even libertadores
There is great reasons, some are that they only show the public of the classics, other is that they only praise publics in the decisive rounds and this year, the price of the ticket is cheaper :)

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After sacking manager Julio Cesar Leal, Flamengo signed Cuca, ex-manager of São Paulo and Gremio.

And if anyone's curious, on this link you'll find the updated tables to the Rio State Championship – in Portuguese, but it's quite easy to follow.
The "J" column refers to "jogos", or games.
V = victories.
E = empates, or draws.
D = defeats.
GP = goals scored.
SG = "saldo de gols", or goal difference.
The percentages in the last column refer to each team's average of points won so far. :)

And since I've posted the link to the Rio tables, here are the others:
This is the table of the São Paulo championship.

Here you'll find the tables of the Gaucho Championship.

And last but not least, the tables to the Minas Gerais Championship.

·
Registered
19,633 Posts
Thanks, JCamilo. :thmbup:

·
Administrator
30,826 Posts
It was really for nothing, OAnimal ;) :happy:

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
In Terra esportes there are links and surveys of all the estaduais in this link

http://esportes.terra.com.br/futebol/estaduais2005

It is according to ab, without preferences. If you are most interested in the Paulista I recommend gazeta Esportiva net, but for the mineiro the best is of course superesportes.com.br

They even have assecible clips of all the goals and some compactos (from Alterosa), some beutiful pics too, for the female fans maybe (Just joking, please do not take me seriously) of the new signed players...

I am adicted to radio transimtions of games. BUt If you go to netgoal to see the clips, pay attention to the new canhoto of Cruzeiro, a real bomb of a FK, and to be fair to the Galo, Rodrigo Fabri did score a beautiful goal, rarely seen. It is a good sign that we see such beauties on the beginning/

As everybody here havs it's own favorite estadual, I recommend to go to the site radios.com.br and find the stations of your favorite state, you may klick on the link futebol (On top of the page) and you get a list

That is how how found "my" itatiaia, JP and others. I have them all on my WP playlist , so I have my pick

AS for Botafogo, i have the impression that they are doing better than all the others "big" RJ teams, FlA and Flu are out, and I am not sure about Vasco as yesterday I followed mainly Palmeiras in the Libertadors, The Cruzeiro game (CUP), and the sub 20

In the Lance site they have a nice way of following the games. U can click on "c" and get the positions of the players on the pitch and all the main plays and events, in a better way that in Terra and GE' but only in the Pulista and some others they like, which doesnot include the Mineiros and Paranaenses/

Anyway, there are many links, the combinations pf radio and written following do it for me.

And do not be afraid of the language. After 2-3 months you will understand all the contents and at least 80% of the words. Believe me, If I have done it, everybody can

In the cup matches there were some surprises, but i believe somebody has opened a thread for that

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Hey, G, can we at least assume a team from Rio will win the Carioca? :tongue: :D

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dae said:
Hey, G, can we at least assume a team from Rio will win the Carioca? :tongue: :D
At this point, nobody can be 100% sure of that. :wth: :stress: :moan:

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Bwahahaha!!!!! :D

·
Administrator
30,826 Posts
Actually the greatest chance for a team from Rio to won anything is with CFZ (Zico's club) in Brasilia :D

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yay, I can barely contain my excitement. :sob:

Hopefully tomorrow Botafogo will defeat Friburguense, giving me some REAL reasons to be excited. :hopefull:

·
Administrator
30,826 Posts
excited ?
Well, I have to say, you are so lucky to have a girlfriend...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts