Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who should we play as our striking partnership? I'm leaning toward JVP and Pauleta. JVP is very creative, and also our best header I guess. I choose Pauleta over Sa Pinto due to Sa's poor spring season. I think Gomes could be our super-sub.
Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I think JVP and nuno gomes. I would chose pauleta if he was playing regularly for deportivo and scoring but nuno is on fire at the moment. Ii think JVP coz of his passion for his country he can be playing really badly but he will always give 100% also these 2 have played together all season and so know eachothers movements.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I think pauleta and Nuno Gomes should be our starting strikers... I wouldn't wouldn't just put a player just cuz he has passion in playing for his country... We have to admit JVP is s**t at the moment, Sabry has scored more goals than him and he hasn't been there for as long as JVP.

VIVA O BENFICA
VIVA O GLORIOSO

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Remember that JVP was our leading scorer in the qualifiers. Scored a lot against the lesser sides though...

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I've always gotten a kick out of the way these teams are selected. I understand that in a competition like this, you absolutely need experience, but why put a player in who's been playing like poorly just because he's who usually starts (Italia is notorious for this)?

All year long, I'd have said Joao Pinto & Pauleta for the reasons that ST gives - but I think Nuno Gomes has been red-hot as of late. I think overall Pauleta can be a better player than How's My Hair? but right now, Hairman deserves the start.

Conversely - I've always complained how JVP gets a free ride because of his press clippings, but for some reason, he becomes another player when he plays for the international squad. He nearly always has a great game. For that reason, I think he should stay in the starting lineup.

So for now - I say JVP & Nuno Gomes.

·
International
5,629 Posts
Well as usual I completely disagree particularly with the selection of JVP and Pauleta!

The best forwards at this time are without a doubt Nuno Gomes and Sa Pinto!

JVP had a good campaign last year, but Paulo Madeira did as well and he's no where to be found because he's played terribly and yet you guys want JVP to start based on his past accomplishments! Bring on Eusebio if that's the case..

Nuno is on and he fights up front, plus he's better inside the area than Pauleta and JVP! Sa Pinto has been better than JVP this year and last year...he has a very good understanding with Figo, Rui Costa, and Conceicao, plus he partners Nuno better than Pauleta.

NUNO GOMES AND SA PINTO!

S

·
0 Posts
Well, The arguments provided abover were very lucid and rational. However, JVP is without a doubt the go-to-man. True he hasn't been the best finsiher with Benfica as of late, but he is a champ with the seleccao. Moreover, he was a great scorer during the qualifying campaign, and the second best finisher in history. So he gets the nod.

His partner, I am torn between pauleta and Nuno Gomes. I believe Pauleta can be a better striker, but hios lack of playing time may make Nuno Gomes the best choice. He has been a consistent sniper(hey just like me) for Benfica.

So Joao Pinto and Nuno Gomes are my vote!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts