Xtratime Community banner

Your chosen 02/03 starting right back is...

• Salgado

Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Geremi

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Minambres

Votes: 13 40.6%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of now, we have 3 players who can play in this position, as so far Geremi still remains on our books, even its unlikely Del B will resort to him much, but you never know.

For the past two years, alot of talk has been about need of change in this spot, and we have in the past courted many different players to possibly join us (Javier Zanetti, Manuel Pablo and Contra to name a few). No such rumors so far this year.

Salgado was our starter last year, and had a decent season. Outstanding at time and then totally dreadful in others, Salgado has never really showed the kind of form and consistancy in his Celta days, when he was Spain's unquestionable starting right-back and one of the most impressive players in the world in his position, with many top clubs courting him. Now, even with Pablo injured, Salgado was never in Camacho's plan for the WC, which shows how far off his best he is. Still, he did had a decent season overall, seems to be belnding well with the team, and does offer a good boost to the attack with his style of play. His defensive liabilaties, and terirble understanding of the offside trap has cost us in many games though.

Geremi is the best defensive option of the three players. The Cameroon international, who is originally a midfielder, is a very versatille player and has played very well whenever called upon (last year's game at Bayern, and the classic 2-2 draw at Nou Camp in 2000 are two excellent examples) . He was leading our team in interceptions in 2001 untill injury made his lose his place to Salgado, never to win it back. He has gained more experience now but it seems Del B isn't convinced he blends well with the rest of the group. No real weakness, but he doesn't offer the attacking boost Salgado has.

Last but not least, Minambres has been promoted to the first team, which is great rejoice to many of us! :happy: many of us got our first glimpses of this boy when he was used sparingly last year, and i doubt not one of us wasn't impressed with the performances he has put up. Already seems a more balanced player at his position, between defense and attack, then either of Salgado and Geremi. The question remains whether he is ready to become a starter or not.

So, who do you think it should be? :)

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My vote goes to Minambres.

Last year, we gave Pavon a shot and it proved well given, based on that, i believe we should continue to slowly bring in youngsters into the team, one at a time.

I have no doubt in my mind that Salgado has peaked, and at his peak, he is nothing more then an average player. Infact, since defense is our weakness, i would still play Geremi ahead of Salgado.

However, i have seen enough to be convinced that Minambres can develop into a solid player, and without trust and giving him a shot to learn, perform and get experience, we will never find out.

Perez has said he is interested to develop more home grown players and making them into stars, and Pavon is the first prodigy he succeeds in bringing into the big scene. Now i hope and believe Minambres is next! :star:

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
My vote goes to Minambres as the eventual right back come the middle to end of the season

This boy has potential and I hope he is introduced into the team slowly and not thrown in the deep end and left to swim by himself as this will only put back his development as a player. Its highly unlikely DB would do this anyway.

·
Registered
17,451 Posts
I accidentaly voted for Salgado:eek:
My real vote goes to Geremi, I think this guy is underrated, he's better then Salgado defensivly, and even offensivly, Geremi is fast and makes great runs and crosses. But I just make him look great compared to Salgado, we need a better right back then these, they are not Real Madrid quality!

Though I think Minambres should gradually be included in the 1st team. He'll get his chance.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kiyan,

I am confused, do you mean Geremi is underrated? :confused:

Anyway, do you want me to change your vote to Geremi?

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
I'd like Minambres as well. This guy I'm pretty certain has more potential than the other two, and I think he should be allowed to develop.However, maybe he needs one more season? Maybe the answer is to rotate the 2?ANd by 2, I mean Salgado and Minambres. I dont really see much difference between Geremi and Salgado, they're both equally inadequate IMO.I'd go for Salgado 'coz he's Spanish.

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
Salgado on experience alone.

First of all we need to sell Geremi so that he can get regular PT and to develope as a player.

Minambres looks to be the future but the future is not now, DB will give his chances but expect him to be off the bench.

Salgado has show flashes of his ability and is a smart cool player.
we need his experience in what is arguable our weakest postition.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I voted for Minambres, but I think a rotation system would be a better idea rather than just starting him. He needs experience to settle in the team and prove himself, but he shouldn't completely replace Salgado.

I think he has more pace than Salgado, but he doesn't have that much experience compared to him, which is why I think a rotation policy is more ideal. :angel:

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow!

Astonishing to see Minambres leading so far, this is one close poll!

regarding whether Minambres is not ready, well, i doubt anyone thought Pavon was, or Iker years ago. These things are not set in stone.

But i like the idea of introducing a new fresh face each year....instead of trying to incorporate many new youngsters in the same time. So this year Minambres, the following maybe Portillo? and so on. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've always thought that Minambres should be introduced first, from what I've seen of him he's always played with confidence and I like how he bombs forward and tries to shoot also. He could aid Figo in the setting up of plays on the right and he could definitely do the overlapping run better than Salgado because he has more pace than him. I noticed that most of the overlapping runs set up by Figo for Salgado fails because Salgado is slow. :eek:

Minambres will probably be rotated with Salgado. Bravo will come in if Roberto Carlos gets injured or suspended, and Portillo will come in if Mori is injured, or is lacking goals. ;)

·
Third Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
20,440 Posts
same for me. My vote goes to: Minambres! I really like him and wish he gets a chance in the first team. Great pace, great tricks. And hope he can bear with the pressure. Salgado has never shown CONSTANTLY the efforts he had shown for Celta. He was great at the beginning of the season, but his efforts decreased as fast as they raised up. Geremi plays better when he's someone to save him in his back.

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
lets not over look the fact the Salgado brings experience of playing for the NT, Liga championship and 2 Uefa CL.

Granted Minambres maybe more giftes athletically but wisdom and experience makes up especially if you start to struggle.
Salgado is accustome to the media glare and critisim.

Minambres along with all the youth team players must be nurtured to succeed instead of being thrown to sink or swim.
All our youth team players need given the chance to perform but it must be in a win-win situation!

Lets not push Minambres to be our right back salvation and heap undue pressure on the young man!

not all players can succeed like our Raul!

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Che,

With Salgado's "experience", he is still the weakest starter in our team. So testing a youngster there will have the least bad effect (if it had any) to begin with :)

Not anyone can succeed as Raul, but surely doing as well as Pavon did is within reach, don't you think?

·
Registered
672 Posts
I voted for Salgado, but i would really like to see him replaced by Miñambres from time to time. Maybe in season 2003/2004 Miñambres should take the place more perminately, with the experience gained next season.

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
I wanna see Minambres get a shot... but in the end I really ain't too convinced by anyone. The rightback position probably won't be the main problem once again, if anything it'll be the center.

Let's just hope DB doesn't decide to play Geremi there again, vide v Lazio:howler:

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I voted for Salgado.
In terms of so-called "authenticity", he IS the right back in our team. Geremi looks and feels more like a composite of that with a right midfielder. And if that's anything to go by, Minambres (by his few appearances last seaso n) seems to be between the former two.
In terms of experience, the new youngster's gonna lose out to the old timers. We would like to introduce youngsters, but looking at this coming season's new players, it could prove to be a rather big transition to ou r first team and transition, you know, takes time. Not just one season. What's more to say, players like Pavon are slowly establishing but yet to slot real comfortably.

So with our so-called 3 right backs, a 60-70 matches season should no longer be an excuse since we can do some rotations, exposure.. :)

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
labas said:
Let's just hope DB doesn't decide to play Geremi there again, vide v Lazio:howler:
Good to see you show up Labas! i hope you won't remain this busy during the season!

That goes for a certain moderator here as well :eek: *ahem*

Anyway, Geremi, as Cliff said, in essense, is a right midfielder. Can you imagine if many right midfielders were used at CD for a change? Beckham anyone? :D

·
Registered
282 Posts
I voted for Salgado. He has much more experience than Minambres. But i wouldn't mind Minambres playing from time to time. But for him to be a starter would be just too much pressure for him and he could crumble under it. Or he could succeed by why take the chance his young and we can wait a season or two for him to become more of an experienced player.:D So for now Salgado should be starting.:cool:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts