·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Uefa ranks the leagues like this:

Spain-Italy-Germany-England-France-Holland-Portugal

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
I always thought Italy was considered the top league. And why in the hell is France ranked so high. They never do much of anything.

·
International
5,629 Posts
Serie A is second banana to La Primera. I don't remember any country having 3 semi-finalists in the Champions League/Cup...Besides most of the Italian teams were knocked out by the Spanish.

I'd rank them:

Spain (way above everyone else)
Italy
England
Germany
Portugal
France
Holland
Greece

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
That's because until the last year or two the Champion's League didn't have so many teams. No one could have more than two teams in the tournament, much less three in the semis. I agree that this year Serie A is not what it usually is, but historically they have always had the deepest talent. They usually win the UEFA cup every year and if they don't they at least have a finalist. In the CL, for the last ten years or so, an Italian team has been the final nearly every year. They almost always make the semis. I don't think you can jump La Primera over Serie A based on one season. However, UEFA may very well do this. If so, then yes, Spain's league is the best. But if the rankings are based on the last five/ten years then I still say Serie A is better.
No matter what, I don't see how France rates above Portugal, or Holland for that matter.
And Greek teams never do anything. You might as well rank Ukraine in the top eight based on Dynamo's great play the last few years.

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
don't forget that in last years USELESS CUP (aka Uefa Cup) France had quite a few teams in the semi's and again this season they had Lens in the semi's

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I would say its pretty impossible to compare la primera and serie a. They're pretty evenly matched, and sky high over all other.
Premier league is overrated and the french league underrated.

Ranks as follows:

Spain/Italy - Some super clubs, the rest are of a high standard
England - Some major teams but a lot are crap
France - Really high standard without that real peak
Germany - Same as prem. league but a little worse
Portugal - About 3 good teams and some crap teams
Holland/Turkey - Same as Portugal but with worse crap teams
Scotland - 2 big clubs and some horrific crap teams
Greece - A few respectable clubs, the rest sucks

------------------
SEMPRE VIOLA!

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
no. I would rank the Spaninsh league over the Italian league any day of the week. The Serie A is known to drastically overspend for every player and his mother while the Spanish league (less the Anelka crap) buys better "team" players. Who would I want Adrian Ilie? or Alen Boksic? ilie all the way. Veron or Figo? FIGO! Sinisa or Roberto? Roberto all the way. Raul or Vieri? Raul all the way. THe only Serie A players I would pick over anyone would be Baggio (Roberto) and a 100% Ronaldo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts