Xtratime Community banner

St Mike - The England Skipper

240 views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  eymc 
#1 ·
Bravo!!!

I was having nightmare about seeing neville leading the team out at Anfield...

Now its just great news that Eriksson has put the armband on Owen

SO...a goal for him on his DEBUT as Captain???

#2 ·
Although the pick is very surprising I fully think he deserved it. It's just a friendly, so why not letting him have the pleasure of being a captain. :) I am happy for him!

#4 ·
Sometimes the choice of captaincy baffles me. IMO, midfielders and defenders tend to be good choices as they can dictate the play of the game and tend to see how the game progresses. From then, they can tell who should do what, if needed to, to guide the team and to inspire others. I am not saying Owen cannot, but the truth is it is not in his shining armor, this leadership quality. He is there to score goals. Much like Shearer, who was also a peculiar choice for me. I would have gone for Campbell, but is injured. If not, give it to Gerrard or Scholes, who have been around for a while. I have nothing against Owen. It is just strange to see him being captain for England.

paw;)

#5 ·
I thought Seaman or Martyn would be a better choice then St Mike.
But whatever it is, it sure beats Neville wearing the Armband :D

#6 ·
Surely, he must be the youngest player to captain England. Can someone verify this?

In any case, I think he's a better choice than Seaman simply because he's more important to the English team. That, and the fact that this may be the first of many times he wears the armband, while Seaman will likely retire after the WC.

#8 ·
Paulinho said:
Surely, he must be the youngest player to captain England. Can someone verify this?

In any case, I think he's a better choice than Seaman simply because he's more important to the English team. That, and the fact that this may be the first of many times he wears the armband, while Seaman will likely retire after the WC.
No. Bobby Moore was the youngest, 22 years and 17 days and Owen is something like 22 years 4 months and 15 days?

#9 ·
I completely agree with paw. While i'm pleased for MO, he doesn't seem to have the leadership qualities to be Liverpool's captain, let alone Englands. He has only ever been captain for Liverpool for 5 minutes and thats only because Ince and McManaman were sent off. I don't think a striker should be a captain no matter how much of a leader they are because they are not in the heart of the game the way a centre back or central midfielder is.

I'm not a fan of Neville. I still can't believe how a player of his class (or lack of it) has got so many England caps. But he is still better qualified to be captain. My choice would've been the keeper (whoever it is) or Southgate. Southgate is Middlesbrough's club captain and when he plays hes in the thick of the action being a centre back.

I can understand some of Eriksson's reasons for making MO captain. Hes a young player who will be in the team for years to come. Hes a quality player who others look up to and respect. He has a right to tell other players what to do because he is the best we have (IMO). But personally i don't agree with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.