Xtratime Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taken from Sky Sports

--------------

**** McCarthy has left Celtic's Colin Healy and Millwall's Steven Reid out of his World Cup squad.

The pair were widely tipped to make the party for Korea/Japan, but McCarthy has opted for experience ahead of the finals - buit admitted it was hard to leave the youngsters out.

He said: "This is the most enjoyable squad I have ever had to name. But there are always a couple of players you leave out who you have to tell, and it is a disappointment having to do that.

"It is not easy having to tell players they are not coming, and I rang those five players yesterday to tell them. It was a cold way to do it, but it was the only way.

"Of course they were all disappointed, because they all wanted to go, but they wished me all the best and I know they want us to do as well as possible.

"I also told them all that if I had any injury problems in the next couple of weeks then I may need to call on them."

Tottenham's Gary Doherty has also been left out since recovering from a broken leg, while Southampton's Rory Delap has also been ommitted.

Newcastle's Andy O'Brien has been given the last central defencsive place, while Wolves' Mark Kennedy makes the trip despite being dogged by injury this season.

Roy Keane will skipper the Republic as expected, while veterans Steve Staunton and Niall Quinn will make their third appearance at the finals, with the Aston Villa man just four matches shy of becoming his country's first 100-cap player.

Blackburn's Damien Duff and Crystal Palace striker Clinton Morrison are included despite their lakc of big-match experience, while three Leeds players, Gary Kelly, Ian Harte and Robbie Keane are all included.

There are also three Sunderland players in the party, with Jason McAteer, Kevin Kilbane joining Quinn.

Shay Given will be the Republic's number one keeper with Charlton's Dean Kiely and Alan Kelly providing the cover.

Full squad:
GOASLKEEPERS: Shay Given (Newcastle), Dean Kiely (Charlton), Alan Kelly (Blackburn).

DEFENDERS: Steve Staunton (Aston Villa), Steve Finan (Fulham), Kenny Cunningham (Wimbledon), Gary Breen (Coventry), Ian Harte (Leeds), Gary Kelly (Leeds), Richard Dunne (Manchester City), Andy O'Brien (Newcastle).

MIDFIELDERS: Jason McAteer (Sunderland), Roy Keane (Manchester United), Mark Kinsella (Charlton), Matt Holland (Ipswich), Kevin Kilbane (Sunderland), Mark Kennedy (Wolves), Lee Carsley (Everton)

STRRIKERS: Robbie Keane (Leeds), Niall Quinn (Sunderland), Clinton Morrison (Crystal Palace), Damien Duff (Blackburn), David Connelly (Wimbledon).

-----------------

Not too sure about Carsley and Kennedy over Healy and Reid. That could haunt him and us.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
For the most part very good, Glad to see Morrison going, we needed another young striker to go. I was dissapointed that Reid espeacially wasn't going. I'm surprized that Kennedy is going with all his injury problems. But all in all a good squad. Well you can't really go too wrong with our talent right :strong: :proud: :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts