Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MATCH PREVIEW: SPURS v DERBY
Posted on: Thu 16 Aug 2007

It might seem a little early in the season to be talking about pressure, but the heat is certainly rising at White Hart Lane.

Defeats in both of their opening two games wasn't on the agenda for likeable boss Martin Jol.

The Dutchman spent heavily over the summer, including a club record £16.5m to bring in Darren Bent - adding to a forward line that already included Dimitar Berbatov, Robbie Keane and Jermaine Defoe.

Their opening-day encounter at Sunderland was one they would have expected to take something from but instead they were left ruing a lack of concentration in stoppage-time.

A quick opportunity to put things right came on Tuesday night with a televised encounter at home to Everton.

But by half-time they were trailing 3-1 and were booed off by their fans.

To be fair to Spurs they didn't play too badly, it was just that Everton stuck the ball in the back of the net when the opportunities came along.

The jeers grew louder by the final whistle and the White Hart Lane faithful will be demanding nothing less than three points on Saturday.

MATCH QUOTE

Boss Martin Jol told www.tottenhamhotspur.com: "Derby will fight for everything, they want to do well, to make an impression and get points on the board.

"I think if things are going as they should go, even with players out, we should get the three points.

"We have to pick ourselves up, put things right and with the spirit we've got I think we will do that.

TEAM NEWS

Spurs have been dealt a huge blow with news that Bulgarian front-man Dimitar Berbatov, so influential last season, has been ruled out with a groin problem.

He is likely to be out for two weeks and is joined on the sidelines by defender Younes Kaboul, who will be absent for a little longer due to a hamstring injury.

Knee injury victims Lee Young-Pyo and Gareth Bale are making progress, while Michael Dawson remains a doubt.

Ledley King, Aaron Lennon and Benoit Assou-Ekotto are still on the sidelines.

MATCH FACTS

Derby's last win at White Hart Lane came in October 1997 when Paulo Wanchope scored both in a League Cup third-round success.

In the six-year Premier League spell from 1996 to 2002 the Rams picked up three draws and three defeats.

You have to go back to November 1989 for Derby's last league win there when goals from Ted McMinn and Nick Pickering earned a 2-1 success.

THE REFEREE

Merseyside's Chris Foy takes the whistle at White Hart Lane.

Foy is one of the English game's most experienced officials and has taken charge of many high-profile encounters.

His opening assignment this season came on Saturday when he oversaw Newcastle United's 3-1 win at Bolton Wanderers.

The Rams' 1-0 win at Sheffield United in April 2005 was the last time he covered a Derby game.

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No Berbatov, adding to their list of important absentees, they've looked shaky so far and if we can get at them early we mmight be able to get something out of the game. Got to do much better in the final third than we did against City though.

·
Registered
68,845 Posts
well we certainly catch Spurs at a good time, but it will still be a difficult match, but so far from what I've read about Derby in the first two matches, we are certainly not over-matched at this level

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
You would have thought after Spurs losing their first 2 games of the season, that there confidence is going to be very low coming into the game on Saturday.. but as I was saying to me Dad this could either work in a favor or it won't

I can either see us playing really well and getting a derserved a draw or possibly just possibly a win :thumbsup: or they will come out the blocks all guns blazing and rip us apart :thmbdown: ... ermm can't quite see them hammering us but they have the ability to punish us heavily.. a bit of good news is that Berbatov is injured, who is the best striker without a doubt.. ermm so there gonna start 2 out of 3 between Keane, Defoe and Bent. Will be interesting to which combination Jol goes with?.

Hopefully Feilhaber will be involved come saturday, which will interest all of us too see how he is gonna fit in the team

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Claude Davis a concern for saturday with a rib injury, very bad news. Has done very well so far, looks very dodgy at times but gets the job done, Leacock might get his chance though, we need his pace, Todd and Moore would be far too slow, Bent/Defoe would be in dreamland running at them two.

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, how f**king long does international clearance take, I can see us still hoping for it next bloody week before the Birmingham game, for Feilhaber :frustrat:

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just as I moan about it the clearance comes through :howler: Hopefully a spot on the bench tomorrow, i think a start is very unlikely.

·
Registered
68,845 Posts
a complete disaster, the match was over in 6 minutes, very poor marking on both on the first two goals.

Howard and Earnshaw got no service at all, Teale had the only good shot on goal the entire match and at times the defense looked amatuer. I knew it was going to be a tough match but I was not expecting that kind of performance!

Derby now in the relegation zone, I know it's early but next's weeks match is huuuge

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
To be honest.. we got hammered by a team who are tipped for a top 4 finish this season.. so at the end of the day.. lets wipe this one away, and lets concentrate for next's week game vs Brum at Pride park:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
yep the space was almost as mad as Sunderland's insistence to give Wigan a penalty. Could've fitted Deon Burton's arse in some of those gaps

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ah well :howler:

Hopefully this thrashing will cause us too spring in too more urgent action in the transfer market.

No Davis and unfit Mears who had to go off, and our defence looked a shambles.

Our first 4 away games Man City, Spurs, Liverpool and Arsenal, not likely to get a point really, makes our home form so important.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Nice to see 2 time NBA MVP Steve Nash in the crowd for the games yesterday.. probably thinks they are 'world beaters' now though :howler: :howler:

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
i know that it's bit late, but anyway,

i just love spurs. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts