Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right bad news first: read this :eek:

http://football.guardian.co.uk/breakingnews/story/0,1273,-3712682,00.html

good news! Defoe!! :happy: Portmouth have a terrible away record too and if the players have balls, they'll fight back like lions :cool: Anderton is still injured so our midfield should be alright and after Deanos shocker Pleat will surely drop him for the Doc!

Just hope it isn't a dream

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Defoe worries Pompey

By Danny Griffiths
Date: 6/2/2004

TEDDY SHERINGHAM returns to White Hart Lane tomorrow for the first time since leaving Spurs to join Pompey. But the focus won't be on...

Your Location: Home > Latest News

Defoe worries Pompey
By Danny Griffiths for THEspursweb.com

TEDDY SHERINGHAM returns to White Hart Lane tomorrow for the first time since leaving Spurs to join Pompey.

But the focus won't be on the former England striker but Tottenham's new £7million marksman Jermain Defoe.

The transfer deadline day arrival from West Ham will be seeking to make an immediate impact to boost flagging morale after Wednesday's sickening 4-3 FA Cup replay defeat to Manchester City.

But Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp knows Defoe is capable of creating terror among his defenders with his pace and exceptional finishing ability.

He is better placed than most to judge Defoe's amazing capabilities as he used to be his boss at Upton Park.

Redknapp admitted: 'Jermain is a terrific player and when I heard he had signed for Spurs just before the transfer window, I felt sick. He is a great player and we will have to be very much on our guard against him.'

·
Registered
59,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Deano Richards got booed 3 times when his name got mentioned by the stadium speaker:eek:

Other than that Johnnie Jackson is played as a left wing back.

Kasey Keller has had some dodgy kicks but he just madea great save I heard.

BUT the wonderboy has struck! Jemain Defoe :cool: 1-0 to us!

Still biting my nails cos of our defence. Yakubu vs. Deano :eek:

Wolves just scored btw against Arsenal :happy: 1-1

·
Registered
59,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1-1 :mad: Berkovic after a Yakubu pass from the right!

BUT just as I speak! ROBBIE KEANE with a volley from a Carr pass from the right :happy: :happy: :happy: 2-1!!!

COME ON YOU SPURS :fero: :fero: :fero:

·
Registered
59,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2-2 then Robbie Keane scored with a 30 yard run :cool: 3-2

NOW 3-3 :mad: Ivica Mornar after Dean Richards let him ! useless piece of grub :mad: :mad:

Whats up with our defence!! Portsmouth have only scored 3 goals before away from home. 3 times we've given the lead away :mad: 5 mins to go

·
Registered
59,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSSS POYETTTTTTTTTTTTTTT YESSSSSSS YESSSSSSS YESSSSSSSSSSS from a DAVIES CORNER and a set up from the blundering Deano!!!!!!!

:happy: :happy: :happy:

still a few minutes to go :yuck:

·
Registered
59,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's all over :happy: :happy: 4-3 final score!

Nothing beats a Spurs game :proud: Crazy club. Thats why we love them :proud:

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
Wally said:
It's all over :happy: :happy: 4-3 final score!

Nothing beats a Spurs game :proud: Crazy club. Thats why we love them :proud:
Congrats! I already thought you´d lose again 3-4 in the end.;) But not only Spurs.... Hehe. :D
I went as crazy as you ; United did it almost the same way. 3-0 up , then 3-3. And 4-3 in the 89th minute.

:) :) THANK GOD WE ´VE RUUD! :) :)

:heart: 101!!! :heart:

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Saturday, February 7, 2004

Tottenham 4-3 Portsmouth: Hero Gus

PA

After their dramatic and embarrassing 4-3 defeat against Manchester City in midweek, Spurs gave their fans another rollercoaster ride before this time finishing on the right end of another seven-goal thriller, against Portsmouth.

Jermain Defoe celebrates a goal on his Spurs debut. (TonyO'Brien/Empics)

Redknapp: We're good enough

Jermain Defoe looked to have steadied the ship when he opened the scoring after only 12 minutes of his Tottenham debut, but Eyal Berkovic equalised after 39 minutes.

Robbie Keane is enjoying a hot scoring streak and restored the lead two minutes later, but that was cancelled out by Lomana LuaLua, who came off the bench after 64 minutes for his debut and scored eight minutes later.

Keane regained the lead with a battling goal after 78 minutes - his seventh in five games and 13th of the season - but another substitute, Ivica Mornar came on and grabbed a debut goal after 83 minutes.

We wondered if one team could win 4-3, just as City had in the FA Cup fourth round replay at White Hart Lane when they came from three goals and a man down at half time.

The amazing happened, but this time it was Spurs who breathed a sigh of relief as substitute Gus Poyet grabbed a last-minute winner.

Defoe scored on his debut for Bournemouth when he was such a sensation on loan there, again on his England Under-21 debut, and again when he made his West Ham bow.

The 21-year-old kept up that fine tradition by marking his Tottenham debut with a typical poacher's goal to signal his arrival following his £7million move from the Hammers.

Keane fed him on the right edge of the Pompey box and he drilled a low right foot drive inside the far corner.

Portsmouth found themselves level thanks to a bizarre goal after 39 minutes. Berkovic fed Aiyegbeni Yakubu down the right and raced into the six-yard box for the return.

Yakubu crossed deep and low and Steve Carr's attempted clearance hit Berkovic on the head and went over the line.

Their joy was short-lived as Keane showed his class yet again with a stunning goal after 41 minutes.

The Republic of Ireland striker had his back to goal when he turned on the edge of the box and rifled home a left foot volley.

It was a disappointing return to Tottenham for Teddy Sheringham and he was replaced at half time.

The Pompey skipper was one of the most influential players in Tottenham history during two spells at White Hart Lane, scoring 124 goals in 277 appearances.

Spurs - and in particular Dean Richards - were caught napping to allow Pompey back into the game.

The big defender stood watching as Berkovic looped the ball forward, LuaLua nipped in to win possession and he curled the ball around Keller and into the far corner.

But when you need hero call on Keane, has he restored Tottenham's lead after 78 minutes, with a battling solo run which took him past two defenders before squeezing the ball beyond Hislop.

There were jeers from the Spurs fans as Gus Poyet came on to replace Defoe after 81 minutes, but they did not know what was yet to come.

Tottenham just cannot keep a lead, however, and after 83 minutes LuaLua crossed from the left and Mornar bundled home yet another equaliser. Steve Stone was then introduced in place of Berkovic.

This time it was Tottenham's turn to win 4-3, however, as after 89 minutes a left wing Davies corner was headed back across goal by Richards and the ball went in off Poyet's knee.

Redknapp: We're good enough

Harry Redknapp is convinced Portsmouth are good enough for the Premiership now that he has bolstered his team during the transfer window.

Three of his signings had outstanding games and Portsmouth were hard-done-by to lose 4-3 after fighting back three times to level the score against Spurs.

Eyal Berkovic ran the midfield and scored one goal and strikers Ivica Mornar and Lomana LuaLua both came off the bench to grab a goal apiece.

But it was not quite enough as Spurs nicked a win thanks to a debut strike from Jermain Defoe, two from Robbie Keane and a last minute winner from substitute Gus Poyet.

'In the second half Spurs were hanging on for dear life,' said Redknapp. 'I am delighted with how we played again.

'People keep talking about the fact we haven't won away yet but we have battered teams or played well but not got the breaks - maybe we need to play rubbish but get a win.

'I think we'll be okay though, especially now we've added pace and power up front. We can be a threat away and can attack teams, our problem today was that we were stretched defensively and were a bit short in size at the back.

'We have no problem playing in this division with the team I've got. Apart from the top three and maybe Newcastle and Liverpool there is nothing between the rest of us - we'd be happy playing the likes of Fulham or Charlton every week and we are more than good enough to play in this league.'

After Spurs surrendered a 3-0 lead to lose 4-3 in midweek the last thing anyone expected was another seven-goal thriller. But that was exactly what we got as David Pleat's team lost the lead three times before eventually snatching a dramatic win.

'I am delighted with the win today after the traumatic week we have had,' said Pleat, who had to dash off the catch a flight. 'Fortune broke for us today but maybe we deserved it after the week we've had.

'Football is full of ironies and although Portsmouth played well in the second half I think we deserved it today because we have had a lot of adverse, unfair and prejudicial criticism this week.'

soccernet

·
Registered
18,438 Posts
Nice win boys....congrats!:) ;)

·
Registered
59,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you thank you :D

Lets now all hope for a bore draw in the next game against Charlton on Wednesday. I can't take this any longer :eek: :tongue:

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Spurs win in seven goal thriller

By Danny Griffiths
Date: 8/2/2004

TOTTENHAM held their nerve to win a second astonishing seven goal thriller at White Hart Lane in just four days. After the heartbreaking...

Your Location: Home > Latest News

Spurs win in seven goal thriller
By Danny Griffiths for THEspursweb.com

TOTTENHAM held their nerve to win a second astonishing seven goal thriller at White Hart Lane in just four days.

After the heartbreaking 4-3 FA Cup replay defeat against ten-man Manchester City on Wednesday Spurs bounced back to win by the same score against Premiership strugglers Pompey.

But it wasn't without a few nerve-wracking moments as the south coast side fought back to level on three occasions.

Jermain Defoe struck on his debut following his £7million move from West Ham, Robbie Keane grabbed two more to take his tally to six in the last five Premiership matches and Gus Poyet whipped in the late winner.

"We've never been more nervous going into the game," admitted acting Spurs manager Pleat.

"When it went to 3-3 we were thinking 'groundhog day' but it wasn't. We kept at it and we got the victory - some you win some, you lose.

"I didn't enjoy the game to be honest but I can enjoy the final result. We won it in the second half where Portsmouth changed their tactics and made us work very hard.

"I hope that Harry Redknapp and Jim Smith keep Pompey up because they deserve some credit for what went on out there.

"This is football. It is full of ironies and that is the nature of players saying that what happened on Wednesday was a terrible blip but let's put it behind us."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts