Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spurs fume at Liverpool's Benitez over Defoe claims
tribalfootball.com - March 25, 2006

Tottenham are furious with Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez over claims they're desperate to sell striker Jermain Defoe.
Benitez said the London club were "desperate" to offload Defoe.

But Spurs chairman Daniel Levy said: "There is no element of truth in the claim. It is unprecedented that any manager should comment in this way on another team's player.

"It could be interpreted as a blatant attempt to unsettle Jermain. I expect Mr Benitez to withdraw his wholly inappropriate and inaccurate comments."

Benitez was reacting after Liverpool striker Djibril Cisse's agent claimed Tottenham would move to sign the Frenchman in the summer.

That led to rumours that Defoe, who has not been a first-team regular this season, might move in the opposite direction.

"Spurs are desperate to sell Defoe," said Benitez.

"They're trying to sell the player and Cisse is in the middle, but he is our player - and at the moment I am happy with my strikers.

"Spurs talk about Cisse, they are desperate to sell."

However, Tottenham manager Martin Jol has stated he is not interested in signing Cisse and Levy reiterated that position.

In a strongly-worded statement published on Tottenham's official website, Levy added: "We have previously said, and I repeat, we have absolutely no intention of making an offer to Cisse or (Manchester United striker) Louis Saha.

"On all these issues, I resent having to put the record straight when it should never have been put into question."

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Liverpool insist Spurs offered Defoe
tribalfootball.com - March 25, 2006

Liverpool are insisting Tottenham offered them striker Jermain Defoe in January.

Spurs chairman Daniel Levy was furious with Reds boss Rafa Benitez's revelation yesterday and issued a statement denying the claims.

However, the Guardian says Liverpool remained privately insistent last night that Tottenham had been in contact in the January transfer window - claims that Levy denies - offering them the chance to buy Defoe, who has started only 17 games this season and only five of the last 12 matches.

The initial approach was apparently made with the warning that another club, believed to be Chelsea, had made a £15m offer for the player.

Although Liverpool retain an interest in Defoe, they did not have the finances to complete any deal in January and declined to make a bid.

Anfield officials privately claimed that a follow-up offer from Spurs, involving Cissé as a makeweight in the deal, was also rejected, with Benítez unwilling to lose his striker in mid-season.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Liverpool boss Benitez stands by Defoe claims
tribalfootball.com - March 26, 2006

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez stands by his claims that Tottenham tried to sell them Jermain Defoe in January.

"The problem is that the Tottenham chairman is not professional, but I am professional," said the Spaniard after yesterday's exciting derby win.

"If you read in the papers last month you can see who first started talking about Cisse, who started talking about Defoe and Saha.

"The problem is I have a good memory and he cannot remember when he talks with agents about these things.

"But I can remember and I have talked to agents and they tell me what has been said.

"He talks with the agents and afterwards he cannot remember, but I remember because I am professional and he is not professional.

"I talk with agents and they tell me a lot of things, but he cannot remember what was said.

"He must think about what he said to agents. That is all I want to say, it is very clear."

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tottenham to report Liverpool over Defoe claims

Tottenham have contacted the Premier League over comments made by Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez.
Benitez has refused to apologise for claiming the Londoners were "desperate to sell" their England striker Jermain Defoe.

Now Spurs have contacted the Premier League over the affair but it is understood they have stopped short of registering an official complaint at this stage.

A spokesman for Spurs said: "We have contacted the Premier League and are discussing the matter. We have nothing further to say."

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tottenham boss Jol furious with Liverpool's Benitez

Tottenham boss Martin Jol was furious with claims from Liverpool's Rafa Benitez that they were offered Jermain Defoe in January.
"Why should I have my players upset in this manner?" fumed Jol.

"It is unbelievable. It is bad enough when agents talk and spread rumours, but this was totally unnecessary coming from a club. I would never deliberately upset another team's player like this.

"It's also ludicrous to suggest that we are scurrying around trying to sell one of our best players.

"And I hear there are suggestions that we tried to swap Jermain for Cisse in January and keep trying to - I have never heard such rubbish.

"Why on earth would we have been interested in letting a striker as good as Jermain go in January when we were actually looking to add another striker?

"If other managers are interested in my players - and let's face it they will be, I have good players and Jermain is one of them - then they know the proper way to go about asking - and we can politely say no. There is a way to do things and a way not to do things.

"No disrespect to Cisse, he is a good second striker but we don't need this type of player now, end of story."

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Updated: March 25, 2006
Tottenham bring Premier League in to Benitez row

Tottenham have contacted the Premier League after Rafael Benitez refused to apologise for claiming the Londoners were 'desperate to sell' their England striker Jermain Defoe.

The Anfield coach's comments, made to the media during the club's pre-match press conference for the clash with Everton, have incensed Spurs.

Chairman Daniel Levy called on Benitez to withdraw his remarks and apologise while coach Martin Jol claimed the Liverpool coach was trying to unsettle his player.

But after watching his side overcome Everton 3-1 in the Merseyside derby Benitez was unrepentant and accused the Spurs chairman of being `unprofessional'.

Now Spurs have contacted the Premier League over the affair but it is understood they have stopped short of registering an official complaint at this stage.

A spokesman for Spurs said: 'We have contacted the Premier League and are discussing the matter. We have nothing further to say.'

The row between the two Barclays Premiership clubs erupted after Liverpool claimed Defoe had been offered to them and that Cisse has been linked with Spurs in a swap deal, as well as a similar situation involving Manchester United's Louis Saha.

But Benitez declined to apologise and accused Levy of having a poor memory.

'The problem is that the Tottenham chairman is not professional, but I am professional,' said the Spaniard.

'If you read in the papers last month you can see who first started talking about Cisse, who started talking about Defoe and Saha.

'The problem is I have a good memory and he cannot remember when he talks with agents about these things.

'But I can remember and I have talked to agents and they tell me what has been said.

'He talks with the agents and afterwards he cannot remember, but I remember because I am professional and he is not professional.

'I talk with agents and they tell me a lot of things, but he cannot remember what was said.

'He must think about what he said to agents. That is all I want to say, it is very clear.'

Spurs coach Jol, preparing his side to face West Brom at White Hart Lane on Monday, was left fuming by Benitez's original remarks and made his feelings clear in a statement on Saturday night.

'Why should I have my players upset in this manner?' fumed Jol.

'It is unbelievable. It is bad enough when agents talk and spread rumours, but this was totally unnecessary coming from a club. I would never deliberately upset another team's player like this.

'It's also ludicrous to suggest that we are scurrying around trying to sell one of our best players.

'And I hear there are suggestions that we tried to swap Jermain for Cisse in January and keep trying to - I have never heard such rubbish.

'Why on earth would we have been interested in letting a striker as good as Jermain go in January when we were actually looking to add another striker?

'If other managers are interested in my players - and let's face it they will be, I have good players and Jermain is one of them - then they know the proper way to go about asking - and we can politely say no. There is a way to do things and a way not to do things.

'No disrespect to Cisse, he is a good second striker but we don't need this type of player now, end of story.'

soccernet

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Updated: March 25, 2006
Levy expects apology

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy expects Liverpool coach Rafael Benitez to withdraw his comments which have dragged the two clubs into an unsavoury public row over England striker Jermain Defoe.

Benitez's claim that Spurs were desperate to sell Defoe, made during Liverpool's pre-match press conference for their match against Merseyside rivals Everton, forced Levy to issue an angry denial and accuse the Reds of trying to unsettle the player.

The Liverpool coach's outburst was the culmination of feverish speculation involving Tottenham's alleged interest in striker Djibril Cisse.

Rumours Spurs would be prepared to sell Defoe to Liverpool in the summer for £15million and take Cisse as part of the deal have been rife for some months.

That rumour was given fresh impetus by Cisse's agent this week when he claimed Spurs had made a move to sign his client on the final day of the January transfer deadline - a claim rejected first by Spurs coach Martin Jol and subsequently by Levy.

All the speculation was heightened further by Defoe's intermittent absence from the Spurs first team.

But if Benitez really harboured any intentions of signing the striker it would have been wise to have remained silent instead of claiming the Londoners wanted to offload him.

'I should expect that Mr Benitez on reflection, withdraws his wholly inappropriate, unprofessional and inaccurate comments,' said Levy.

'They do him no credit. I find them beyond belief. Not only are they completely untrue but it is unprecedented that any manager should comment in this way on another team's player.

'It could in fact be interpreted as a direct and blatant attempt to unsettle Jermain.

'There is absolutely no basis, let alone any element of truth whatsoever, in Benitez's claim that we are looking to sell Jermain.

'We have not had a single conversation on this point with Liverpool or any other club so I fail to see how he can make this statement.'

Jol had already made it clear Cisse was not on their target list this summer - and the same could be said for Manchester United's Dutch striker Ruud van Nistelrooy, while Levy added Louis Saha to the list.

'Additionally, for the avoidance of all doubt, we have previously said and I repeat, we have absolutely no intention of making an offer for Cisse or Saha,' said the chairman.

'On all these issues I resent having to put the record straight when it should never have been put into question.'

soccernet

========================

Updated: March 24, 2006
Levy livid at Benitez claim

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy has hit back at claims by Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez that the Londoners are 'desperate to sell' their England striker Jermain Defoe.

Benitez's comments were made during Liverpool's pre-match press conference and angered Levy into making a rapid response to his claims.

Furious Levy called on Benitez to withdraw his comments, claiming they did his reputation no credit.

Levy said: 'I find today's comments by Rafael Benitez beyond belief.

'Not only are they completely untrue, but it is unprecedented that any manager should comment in this way on another team's player.

'It could in fact be interpreted as a direct and blatant attempt to unsettle Jermain.

'There is absolutely no basis, let alone any element of truth whatsoever, in Benitez's claim today that we are looking to sell Jermain.

'We have not had a single conversation on this point with Liverpool or any other club so I fail to see how he can make this statement.'

Levy also followed coach Martin Jol by insisting they were not interested in signing Liverpool striker Djibril Cisse or Louis Saha from Manchester United.

Levy added: 'Additionally, for the avoidance of all doubt, we have previously said - and I repeat - we have absolutely no intention of making an offer for Cisse or Saha.

'On all these issues, I resent having to put the record straight when it should never have been put into question.

'I should expect that Mr Benitez on reflection, withdraws his wholly inappropriate, unprofessional and inaccurate comments. They do him no credit.'

soccernet

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tottenham's Defoe shrugs off Liverpool claims
tribalfootball.com - April 17, 2006

Tottenham striker Jermain Defoe says he shrugged off Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez's claims he was offered the England striker in January.
Defoe told The Times: "I saw it on the TV like everyone else, watched it and went out. I have been through a lot in my career so things like that don't bother me.

"When I went out that day people asked, 'what is going on, why did he say that?' I was stuck in the middle. But it's part of being a footballer."

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chelsea, Liverpool battle for Tottenham striker Defoe
tribalfootball.com - April 21, 2006

Chelsea and Liverpool are ready to battle for Tottenham striker Jermain Defoe.
Ahead of their big FA Cup clash this weekend, it's emerged that both Premiership giants want to sign England international Defoe when the summer market opens.

The Daily Mail says Spurs are likely to sell if an offer of at least £8 million arrives.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Spurs want £15M for Defoe
tribalfootball.com - May 2, 2006

Tottenham are ready to sell striker Jermain Defoe.
The Independent says Defoe is available for £15 million and is a target for Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho.

The Blues would prefer to buy Defoe for around £5 million less, but may be forced to meet Spurs' asking price with the likes of Newcastle United, Liverpool and Arsenal following developments closely.

·
Registered
894 Posts
To be honest, that'd be good business, seeing as we could buy someone as good, who could play better alongside Keano, for the same or less.

I'd personally ask for Gudjohnsen, Bridge and £5M. I reckon Chelski might actually accept that...

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Man Utd, Liverpool monitor Tottenham's Defoe
tribalfootball.com - May 12, 2006

Manchester United and Liverpool are monitoring Jermain Defoe's situation at Tottenham.
The Guardian says Tottenham's interest in Blackburn Rovers striker Craig Bellamy has placed in doubt the White Hart Lane future of Defoe.

The ex-West Ham hitman is admired at both United and Liverpool. Defoe is weighing up his options after a lack of first team action this season cost him a place in England's World Cup squad.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Carson you seriously need to relaxxxx with all this spam man.. Cause thats what its turning out to be.. You're like bulk section of my email ,in every single thread..
What's the point of posting 16 articles all saying the same bull in different ways?? That's all i'm saying..
I'm sure your response to me will be some tribalfootball.com article but, thats fine..

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Mathias04 said:
Carson you seriously need to relaxxxx with all this spam man.. Cause thats what its turning out to be.. You're like bulk section of my email ,in every single thread..
What's the point of posting 16 articles all saying the same bull in different ways?? That's all i'm saying..
I'm sure your response to me will be some tribalfootball.com article but, thats fine..
Carson is just doing his thing, some people find it annoying and some people find it very useful.

:)

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Portsmouth bid for Tottenham's Defoe still on table
tribalfooball.com - June 26, 2006

Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp remains keen on Tottenham striker Jermain Defoe.
Spurs boss Martin Jol is already planning to replace the ex-West Ham star and his availability has been circulated around the Premiership.

The Mirror says Redknapp's offer of £10m for Defoe is still on the table at White Hart Lane.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Newcastle find Spurs price too steep for Defoe
tribalfooball.com - June 26, 2006

Newcastle United have dropped their interest in Tottenham striker Jermain Defoe.
Spurs' £15 million asking price is too rich for Toon, which are now focusing their attentions elsewhere.

Portsmouth and Liverpool are also interested in the England international.

·
Registered
254 Posts
selling Defoe is another fault in the big Spurs list of faults in the signing thing !

Getting rid of routledge ..getting rid of mendez bringing Raziak getting rid of Mido and now tryong to sell Defoe ..:(

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Man Utd approach Tottenham for Defoe
tribalfooball.com - July 16, 2006

Manchester United have made a formal approach to Tottenham for striker Jermain Defoe.

The Mirror says United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is facing stiff competition from Newcastle to replace Ruud Van Nistelrooy with Defoe.

Toon boss Glenn Roeder is desperate to solve the club's striker crisis by taking Defoe to St James' Park. The north-east giants have also made an approach to Tottenham for the England replace van Nistelrooy with Defoe.

United, who can offer Defoe Champions League football, are in a far stronger position to lure the marksman than Newcastle.

Ferguson is a known admirer of Defoe, having tracked the youngster ever since his time at West Ham.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts