Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Gooner
6,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im on a pre-Scholarship with the Daily Mail now. I have to do 3-4 reports and hand them in to the Chief Sports Editor (Paul Newman) and if he likes them im straight on to their scholarship scheme and my fees paid for a short course. If I pass im guaranteed a job as a sports journalist with them.

Sounds like an ideal job but I practically could'nt sleep last night thinking about it. I want your opinion on it guys. It actually sounds incredibly hard when you think about it to formulate an 800+ word article on a game of football.

Paul said to me if your doing a mid-week game then you actually have to write it as your watching the game since the paper has to be ready for next morning obviously. If a goal goes in last min that changes the result, most of the article and its tone would have to be changed.

Plus the massive amounts of travelling and working mostly weekends away from loved ones. Also, I was thinking how id have to cover another game as Arsenal's playing and would'nt even be able to follow my own team anymore. And how do you manage to keep perfect neutrality

On the plus side you get paid a decent wage working with something you love. Im 50-50 on whether I want to take it on, but have 3 articles to do by next Friday so have to decide pretty soon what Il do. Opinions please..

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
This is like my dream job.

An opportunity such as this would not come around too often, so I say take it. Try it out, get a feel for it, if you don't like it, or don't enjoy the travelling, you can always resign, and you still have The Daily Mail on your CV, which can't exactly be a bad thing, now, can it?

If football and writing are your true passion, then go for it man. 800 words on a game is not difficult either, especially a game involving one of the bigger teams.

Go for it.

·
Registered
40,652 Posts
Go for it mate, I'm in my 4th year of the same study here in Holland. Waiting for that scholarship and the adventure to begin myself. But good luck to you. :thumbsup:

·
Arsenalation
2,036 Posts
wow that sounds like quite a dream job and yet it isnt quite as dreamy when you might have to write about a shite team is it?

Anyway you get the chance to break into the football world. Grab it with both hands man and you might get free tickets to a huge sold out game one day. :p

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
Yeah, this is a no brainer mate. Grab it with open arms. Also, I'd be interesting in reading your final drafts when done. See if you're up to scratch ;)

·
Registered
11,521 Posts
We can setup a Chris! Drafts Thread.

Also you can write down Arsenal biased reports with a ditch on Spurs in every other para. Would be fun to read :D

·
0-1, Huth.
6,070 Posts
You should definitely go for it mate. If it isn't for you, then at least you have given it a go. Doing something you love and get paid for it at the same time sounds like an awesome job to me.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Go For It Chris!.. And If You Ever Needed Arsenal Transfer Rumors/Gossip Let Me Know! ;)

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
Historikl do you have goss for us?????

·
Registered
527 Posts
LOL Cruyff14, The Season's Not Over Yet.. It's Too Early

Don't Worry Though If I Hear Something I'll Let You Know.

Chris! Again I Would Like To Say Go For It Mate.. Good Luck

·
Gooner
6,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers guys and il make sure to show you drafts of the reports I do Mutu, and anybody else interested. My first one will be on the youth cup semi tonight I think :)

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
A good rule of thumb is not to rely on an internet forum to make the big decisions in your life....buy a dice. :D

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Yes, you'll be away from loved ones but you'll be in hotels all over the country with plenty of single birds around. And getting payed to watch football is something I've always dreamt about. So take it.

·
Gooner
6,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I thought id share one of the articles I have written so far. For those with the time to have a look and the generosity to share their thoughts :)

With the latest craze of Billionaire foreign owners, from lands as far away as America and Abu Dhabi, the vast majority of Premiership clubs increasingly choose not to attempt to develop their own talent. However, this is an accusation that cannot be levelled at Arsenal and its manager Arsene Wenger. Arsenal's club captain, Cesc Fabregas, has been at the club since he was 16. The same applies for left back Gael Clichy. Johan Djourou was plucked from Etoile Carouge of Switzerland and signed scholarship forms for the Arsenal Academy aged only 15.

Whilst Arsene Wenger's brave approach to giving youngsters a chance has many admirers, many in this country have chosen to criticise the fact that apart from Walcott, these precious young talents are all foreign. Critics point out that the last Englishman to come through Arsenal's academy is Ashley Cole, almost a decade ago. However, this looks like it could soon change. Despite often looking abroad for talent, Wenger has now increasingly started to use English youngsters as well, with the majority of them graduates of Arsenal's youth team.

Henri Lansbury, Gavin Hoyte, Jay Simpson and Mark Randall have all stepped up into Arsenal's first team and featured in Arsenal's Carling cup run this season. Another English youngster who featured, Kieran Gibbs, will be marking the World player of the year in a Champions League semi-final a week from today. Whilst not yet ready to play such an important role, the future looks bright for a host of English youngsters who last night led Arsenal into the FA Youth Cup Final for the first time since 2001.

None more promising than 17 year old Jack Wilshere. The boy who has already featured in eight first team games this season and some have compared to legend of past and present, ranging from Liam Brady to Wayne Rooney. On 25th November 2008, Wilshere came on as a substitute in a UEFA Champions' League match against Dynamo Kyiv, becoming only the fifth sixteen-year-old to ever play in the Champions League. He then made his 2nd UEFA champions league appearance in a 2-0 defeat to FC Porto.

Taking this into account, one may have expected him to view it as almost as almost degrading to be asked to play in youth cup games. However, he produced a performance full of verve and enthusiasm which excited those in attendance. The Gunners went into the game with a slender 2-1 advantage from the first leg. Impressively, that was the first defeat of the season for a Manchester City team who are holders of the trophy. Their second looked inevitable after just 34 seconds when Sanchez Watt neatly finished a through ball from Jay Emmanuel Thomas.

Whilst Arsenal's now two goal aggregate lead was not unassailable in itself, City were shell shocked by the timing of the strike. Just as they begun to regain their composure, they found themselves 2-0 down on the night and now three goals behind on aggregate. The goal came on 20 minutes. Once again Watt was heavily involved, latching on to another through ball before skipping past City keeper Joe Clegg. The young keeper in a desperate attempt to get the ball, proceeded to catch the striker’s leg and referee Keith Woolmer instantly pointed to the spot.

Up stepped Wilshere and he never looked in any danger of missing. The way he was playing it was hard to believe that he was an injury doubt prior to the game. The boistorous Arsenal fans in the ground would have been thankful he managed to shake off an ankle injury and make his first start since completing 90 minutes in Manchester. Before Watts' opener, Wilshere was the only player on the pitch to have previously scored at the Emirates Stadium. However, the rest of the Arsenal young guns certainly seemed to feel at home in this serene stadium.

Nine minutes after the second goal, Kyle Bartley made it three for Bould's boys. Wilshere’s in-swinging corner, which David Beckham would have been proud to call his own, was met by the 6ft 3 centre half and City's horrendous first half had just become a whole lot worse. It was an extra-special moment for the centre-half who grew up a keen member of the red half of Manchester.

If City hadn’t given up the ghost after that then surely they knew it was over 90 seconds later. This time the goal was to come following a howler from centre back Reece Wabara. The impressive Sanchez Watt caught him napping just inside the area to slide Arsenal’s fourth underneath the helpless Joe Clegg.
Arsenal were well and truly in the Final despite there been over an hour of football left to play. The senior stars had scored four goals at Anfield the night before without winning the game, but there was more chance of a spaceship landing in the centre circle than this helpless City team matching Liverpool‘s four goals. Never mind finding five to send the tie into extra-time.

Credit where it’s due though, they started to give it a go. Alex Nimely who was their first-leg goal scorer looked certain to repeat the trick. However, Arsenal right back, Craig Eastmond, slid in brilliantly to deny City's top scorer in the competition. Then, just before the half-time whistle, Arsenal Keeper James Shea was called into action for one of the few times in the opening 45 minutes. The England u-18's Number One pulled off a terrific double-save to deny City captain Kieran Trippier.

Unfortunately for him, he would end up conceding before the break after all. When Nimely had to be withdrawn in first-half stoppage time due to an injury, his replacement, Jack Redshaw, made an instant impression. Embarking on a mazy run and skilfully avoiding a string of Arsenal challenges, he crossed for Abdisalam Ibrahim to net from eight yards. The goal may have offered the smallest glimmer of hope for City and they did apply some pressure on Arsenal's defence for a 15 minute time period at the start of the second half.

Arsenal had now restricted themselves to counter-attacks as they sat on their massive 6-2 aggregate lead. Their mesmerising performance in the opening half hour had meant a comfortable progression into the Final. It was left to that boy Wilshere to keep the home crowd entertained with some great individual skills which embarrassed a few City midfielders.

The Stevenage born, England Under-19 international was eventually brought off ten minutes before the end to a generous round of applause from the crowd. His replacement was Luke Freeman, a 17 year old who was signed by Arsenal from Gillingham in January last year. He had already made his first team debut for the Gills aged just 15 years and 22 days - making him the youngest player to ever appear in the FA Cup. Whilst his services were not needed by his team-mates to make it into the Youth version of that Cup, he's another young English lad with bags of potential.

Considering the collective talent in this team, it’s safe to assume the 9,226 Arsenal fans in attendance will have exited the ground with a sense of excitement for the future. No doubt the majority of them will make their way back to the Emirates stadium for next months Final against Liverpool.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
nice article though if that is supposed to be neutral you have failed alarmingly:D I'll look forward to your subjective Spurs match reports. :D

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
I read the majority of it.

It is very well done and I didn't notice in errors. Great read.

·
Registered
42,804 Posts
I feel guilty to nit-pick, as it's a great job, and this may be nothing at all, but the first sentence of the fifth paragraph comes across oddly to me. And I'm not pointing my finger at you, sometimes I speak to this computer, "no, why are you doing that?" Aside from that, an article which flows well and engaged my senses. I can't say how much I envy you. lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts