Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at a copy of Sports Illustrated today and they printed their opinion of the 32 finalists. They stated that Suker, Prosinecki, and Boksic were as old as the Dinaric Mountains. They also stated that without Tudor, their chances are those of a molehill. Then again, they expected America to get into the 2nd round.

·
Banned
36,400 Posts
Then again, since when does sports illustrated know anything about football?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Personally i find stories like this quite comical.. it makes a mockery of the usually honest and fact oriented approach that journos tend to take in this day n age lol :dielaugh:

I can remember similar stuff being published 4 years ago.. at least when we prove them wrong the so called experts cant say i told u so.. but then again when was a yanky journalist an expert on football anyway!!! oh sorry i meant soccer :D

·
Banned
22,345 Posts
SI

Sports Illustrated should just stick to NASCAR, baseball and the USA women's soccer team. ;) That's all they know.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I agree, SI writers should stick to American sports, as they have no clue about football(soccer)! How dare they make comments on our REpka, when they probably don't even know where Hrvatska is on the map! Pozdrav Svima! Naprid Vatreni!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
yea,
i read that issue yesterday. typical of US commentary.

the logic is : there are many Mexicans in the USA. they play soccer. therefore they will win.

it seems like even with our strong team , we will never be taken seriuosly. even with the Europeans. they congratulate us, but deep down, they think "98 was a fluke".

thats why i would love to see Hrvatska beat Italy , somehow knocking them out of the competition, but the refs will make sure it doesnt happen.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Here's one more "american" comment;)

Last issue of Time Magazine

...."Croatia, whose technique and style lit up France '98, is an aging team, and it has already lost one star in Igor Tudor. But even Croatia's second best should be enough to topple Mexico and tourist-class Ecuador, ensuring that it advances along with Italy. "

·
Registered
10,611 Posts
Suker, Prosinecki, and Boksic were as old as the Dinaric Mountains. They also stated that without Tudor, their chances are those of a molehill
ha i read that in SI too! eh dont think they dont know where Croatia is on a map if they know about the Dinaric mountains they know where we are they just like provoking us and it works:) but the best is when we prove them wrong!

when Boksic, Suker and Prosinecki step on the field against mexico everyone will feel the VJETRE S'DINARA:D :fero: :cool: -lil Thompson plug there!;)

TOMMY GOES NUTS AS WELL! >got that from Ero:D

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
I always said Time Magazine was great!:D

SI is one of those mags that just cater to:

Baseball
College and Pro Football
College and Pro Hoops
Ice Hockey

and that is pretty much it...every 4 years its the Olympics and World Cup...thats pretty much it. I used to suscribe but its no use...I get World Soccer and Soccer AMerica.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
aca said:
Here's one more "american" comment;)

Last issue of Time Magazine

...."Croatia, whose technique and style lit up France '98, is an aging team, and it has already lost one star in Igor Tudor. But even Croatia's second best should be enough to topple Mexico and tourist-class Ecuador, ensuring that it advances along with Italy. "
Actually, Washington Post article last week about Croatia was similar, great... they say we are old but still have some good new players, etc, etc... its the sports mags that usually look way too much into 3-4 players that are older than 30... and then say stupid things like, defence is old, other than tudor (which is rubbish)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts