Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping you guys could give me a bit of a history lesson. I know about the obvious choices of Figo, Sousa, Balakov etc.. Who are some of the other great players to wear the green and white? I'm mainly interested in players who were great at Sporting, not once they left. However, any names would be fine. Tell me what they did while with Sporting. Figo and Sousa were very good with Sporting, but they didn't achieve fame and greatness until they left. Who was great at Sporting? I know the name Yazulde (I think that's the spelling) from the early 70's. He scored 46 goals one year and led Europe. Who else?

------------------
VIVA SPORTING!!!
FORZA MILAN!!!

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Please tell me that the lack of response to this topic doesn't mean that Sporting has not had any great players. I had hoped I'd learn a great deal about my team's history. Come on people, don't let me down.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Come on!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Sorry, Daeone, but I have been quite busy and I have not had a chance to be around this forum lately. You have no reason to fret because Sporting has had many great players in the past. Though many of these names are not world renowned, they are still highly regarded as some of the best players Portugal has ever seen.

-Goalkeepers: When people talk of great Portuguese Keepers, mention will always be given to 4 great Sporting Goalies: Azevedo, Carlos Gomes, Carvalho, and Vitor Damas.
-Azevedo played in the late 40s
-Azevedo gave way to Carlos Gomes. Gomes was an amazing acrobat known for his diving stops. Not a soccer discussion in my family goes by without either one of my Uncles or my Father mentioning his name. The best story I ever heard was this: Sporting went to play an away game (either Academica or Porto). Gomes broke his arm in the 1st Half. Now this is the days of no substitutions. So, he goes into the locker room at the half, puts his bad arm in a sling, straps the sling close to his chest, and then goes out and pitches a shutout with ONE ARM!!!!!!
-As good as Gomes was, Carvalho was even better. Many regard Carvalho as the greatest keeper Portugal ever had. I believe he was the starting keeper for the ’66 World Cup team.
-Damas was a solid keeper, but was always overshadowed by his contemporary, Benfica’s Manuel Bento. Damas was Bento’s backup on the Seleccao, and played in the ’86 World Cup.

-The “Cinco Violinas”: This was the nickname of Sporting’s starting forward line in the 50s. Sporting at that time won an unheard of 8 out of 9 championships. If UEFA had started the Champions Cup only a decade earlier, Sporting probably would be mentioned in the same breathe as Real Madrid or Milan!!! The greatest of 5 violins was Travassos. He is considered the greatest "pre-Eusebio" Portuguese player.

-Another great Sporting forward was Peyroteo. He started in the late 30s, and held the single season scoring (37 goals) until Eusebio and Yazylade came along.

Finally, there was the great defender Morais. Morais was a versatile left-back, who could also play up front on the wing. He is famous for 2 things: 1) He scored the winning goal in the 1964 Taca das Tacas final directly off a corner kick and 2) his rough tackling that put Pele out of the 1966 World Cup.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the very informative answer. I was beginning to wonder if I had simply asked a stupid question or if there are just any great Sporting players. Well done, Penguin!

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
not to seem like a jack-ass.....but Penguin surely you jest.

Carvalho the greatest keeper ever? According to who Sporting Socio's?
The greatest Portuguese keeper ever is still alive and well. He still plays today. His name is:

V I T O R
B A I A

not because I am a Portista....but rather realistic.

------------------
FOREVER PORTO!
FOREVER THE NORTH!
SEMPRE PORTUGAL!
http://www.fcporto-online.com

[This message has been edited by Marcoa (edited 21-05-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Marcoa (edited 21-05-2000).]

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Marcoa,

Baia is very good, and I rank him very high. Now, obviously I never got a chance to see Carvalho play personally, but everyone I have ever talked too speaks just as high of him.

Also, if I recall when "O Jogo" On-line had their Team of the Century poll, he was voted ahead of Baia...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts