Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can we make a move here? Will Deco prove too much? Let's get the opinions started.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Tinto - you got in-coming! Check yer PM.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Well somebody's gotta do it, why not us? Of course we do have men down and those men not being in the gaps is probably gonna hurt us. If we can do the same like we did in the V. Setubal game we should be able to at LEAST tie them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Im hoping for a win. The confidence is slowly going back up and this is a great test and hopefully they pass with flying colours.

A dull game, with a one break through by Sporting.
Final
Sporting CP 1 - 0 FC Porto

:fero:

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Porto are really clicking and Sporting are doing anything but. I don't feel too optimistic about the match given how pathetically we played against Benfica, our other big game. We didn't even show up.

The match is at home, so that part is nice. If Boloni can figure out how to score a few goals (given that we no longer have Jardel to pull a hattrick out of his ass) then we may have a shot. But then again, there's the defense.......

Does anybody have an idea of what the starting line up will look like?

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Portuguese Superliga Preview: FC Porto–Sporting Lisbon
Sporting Lisbon - Porto | Latest News | Match Preview | News Archive

Sporting's ex-Porto man Mario Jardel (Allsport)
01/10/2003. BACKGROUND

The Portuguese "Super-Classico" is set to take place this weekend as Sporting Lisbon travel to Porto in what should be a cracking match.

The game takes place on Saturday but the war of words has already begun. Porto Manager Jose Mourinho has warned the official for the match, Lucilio Baptista, to watch out for the Lisbon players' tendencies to dive. "Sporting has a tendency to create fouls that don't exist. Last year we had Costinha wrongfully sent off because of a Joao Pinto dive." Sporting's manager Laszlo Boloni countered by saying that "perhaps Mourinho would like to referee the match."

FC Porto currently sits at the top of the table nine points clear of 2nd place Benfica. Sporting are looking to get back into the title race at Porto's expense, as they currently stand in 3rd place but are a distant 11 points back of the leaders.

Sporting Lisbon currently have a number of fitness worries including Mario Jardel, Cristiano Ronaldo and Sa Pinto all of which have been included in the squad for the Porto clash. Mario Jardel has not been his old self this season as he has scored only twice this season. Expect Boloni to start Jardel in hopes he can snap out of his Superliga scoring slump against Porto. Look for Sporting to probably line up in their traditional 4-4-2 formation. Romanian international Marian Niculae will not play for Sporting as he is still out with an injury.

Jose Mourinho has stated that Porto will not be playing for the draw. "We will not alter our style of play, we haven't lost a game all season and there is no need for a change in tactics." That being said, expect Porto to assign at least one player to mark Mario Jardel, look for this duty to go to Costinha. However, goalkeeper Vitor Baia has warned that Sporting Lisbon boasts much more than just Mario Jardel in their arsenal. "If we worry about Jardel too much we will lose. They have other players who can score goals, Jardel has not been a factor this season for them." Newly signed Marco Ferreira could see some action for Porto but will likely start on the bench.

PROBABLE LINE-UPS

Sporting (4-4-2): (G) Tiago (DL) Rui Jorge, (DC)Quiroga, (DC) Contreras (DR) Rui Bento (DCM) Paulo Bento (ACM) Joao Pinto (RM) Pedro Barbosa (LM) Ricardo Quaresma (F) Mario Jardel (F) Kutuzov

Porto (4-5-1): (G) Vitor Baia(DL) Nuno Valente (DC) Jorge Costa (DC) Pedro Emanuel (DR) Paulo Ferreira (DCM) Costinha (ACM) Deco (CM) Alenitchev (LM) Maniche (RM) Capucho (F) Postiga

soccerage ;)

----------------------

can u guys tell me how's quaresma been playing this season? :)

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Contrares!?! Is he a reserve? I've never even heard of him.
Also, I somewhat agree with starting Jardel, although if he doesn't do good in the first half his ass is going off for Ronaldo, better yet his ass is going to get packed and sent away on some transfer ASAP. I say we have a 50-50 chance at winning it.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
As to Mourinho talking about us creating fouls, look at Deco in the Benfica game you've already got at least 3-5 bookable fouls which weren't called. Look at Mourinho and you've just got yourself a red card. And then people ask why the reffing is biased sometimes, and half the times it's because of dumbass suggestions like that. The ass speaks as if we had played the game and he'd lost already, how the hell is this guy's team in first in the league??

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
F1Soccer-Por. said:
Contrares!?! Is he a reserve? I've never even heard of him.

:rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani: :rollani:

And you continue to try and call yourself a fan... :rollani:

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Well I've honestly never heard of him, or heard of him starting games for us...

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
F1Soccer-Por. said:
Well I've honestly never heard of him, or heard of him starting games for us...
And how many times have you seen Sporting play this year??

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Damn, F1, there's this little part of me that keeps hoping you'll finally pull it together, but then you post yet another ridiculous post.

OK, fine, you have not heard of Contreras. Fair enough. Problem is he's played nearly ever match for us and has easily been our strongest defender. He's solid both in the centerback position or as a fullback, which is his prefered spot, I believe. TOgether with a healthy Beto, we actually have a decent centerback tandem. Problem is there is no depth and Beto plays a lot more right back than he used to.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Say, will somebody tape teh match for me on RTPi? I no longer have the channel (as most of you know) and am jonesing for some SCP football. I always look forward to it. MArco said he'd tape if for me if he thinks about, but I could some back up. I'll gladly pay for the service. :) Let me know via PM or whatever if you can help me out.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
I probably just know him under a different name or something.

·
XT Oldie
8,395 Posts
Dae....I cannot tape it for you. Im sorry.

My dish is not hooked up to the VCR and even if I tried my dad would have a coronary if he saw me hooking it up (eventhough I know how...he's one of those guys that HAS TO BE the one to do it). If he gets around and hooks it up tonight...I'll tape it...if not...sorry man. :(

·
XT Oldie
8,395 Posts
F1Soccer-Por. said:
I probably just know him under a different name or something.
Yeah...I often confuse the name "Contreras" with "Felipe Babbzinho" Easily mixed up.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Dae said:
Say, will somebody tape teh match for me on RTPi? I no longer have the channel (as most of you know) and am jonesing for some SCP football. I always look forward to it. MArco said he'd tape if for me if he thinks about, but I could some back up. I'll gladly pay for the service. :) Let me know via PM or whatever if you can help me out.
The game's on SporTV, however if RTP shows the replay, I'll try and tape, though I can't guarantee anything since I have no idea when RTP is going to show the replay.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Marco said:
Yeah...I often confuse the name "Contreras" with "Felipe Babbzinho" Easily mixed up.
:howler: BWAAAHHHAAHAAAA :howler:

Classic.....

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Now back to the game:

It's a must win for us, plain and simple. It's January and Porto's already got 11 points on us. They're playing great football right now, and we've been struggling. However, I think we've turned a little corner and our play has improved since the Benfica game, but we need some luck.

Keys for Sporting:
*Shutdown Deco - simple to say, hard to do. If he does nothing, we'll win.
*Win the midfield - Rui Bento/Tonito need to play the game of their lives.
*Attack down the right - Nuno Valente is good, but he's slow. I think we can attack down his flank with our speed (Quaresma/Ronaldo).
*No-Frills defense - This has been our biggest killer. We've given up alot of goals against the run of play (Leiria/Setubal) on simple mental errors at the back. Our back 4 need to be flawless.
*Mental Strength - It's a derby, it's Porto. The game is going to get physical. Our boys need to keep their heads about themselves. Quaresma can't get himself sent off like he did against Benfica.

Probably Lineup: (4-4-2)
------------------Tiago-------------------
-Quiroga--Hugo--Contreras--Rui Jorge
----------------Rui Bento----------------
--Barbosa---Tonito---------Quaresma--
----------JVP-----------Kutuzov-----------

Jardel and Ronaldo will both be available off the bench.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Good take, Pen. I don';t want to see Jardel play at all. Maybe as a sub....maybe. JVP and Kutuvoz have both played well enough.

And I hate seeing Hugo on the field. Is PRates so bad that we have to put Quiroga out there? I feel better about a Contreras (or whatever name F1 know's him by....perhaps Steve) and Quiroga in the center and Prates out wide. Although, Prates does kind of suck.

Oh, Pen, the replay is on RTPi at 9 p.m. If you can hook me up, I owe you one. :)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts