Xtratime Community banner

61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Santamaria said:
As you say the extra midfielder should be a good passer, we have candidates - Pedro Barbosa, Tonito or Carlos Martins.

That doesn't solve the problem at all as none of those players are ballwinners. They would only add to hte offensive nature of the team. What Viana offered was the grit of a ballwinning mid with the ability to distribute the ball and ignite the offense. Barbosa and Tonito are playmaker types and nothing like what I am talking about. Martins is somebody I don't know enough about, so I can't comment.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Dae said:
Does all this posting mean you're back? It's been a while since Sporting's resident grouch was active. :)

I understand your point about tactics, but it still doesn't change the fact that Sporting do not have anybody playing who can win balls and distribute like Viana. I agree that playing two mids in a very attack minded formation makes for an open midfield, but the difference between Viana and no Viana is enormous.
Well, I think we need to get over the Viana comments, even though I am a fan, I'm tired of hearing Dae say ONE MILLION TIMES A DAY, "Sporting missed Viana." The object now is to look for a replacement for him. Now if our training camp can do it then so be it, but if they can't then we need to look at upset players at other clubs who we could afford to buy.

As for the game, although we did play well, we could have got away with a much cleaner result, and I have to admit hitting your own player and a player of the other team is just... amazing. I can't see myself doing that when I play GK's sometimes. I'm seriously getting tired of Tiago not getting any more chances, I mean before the season everyone praised him, but now no more praise it's all about ZZ, and how he messes up but is still good.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Feel free to suck my ass. You really are a twit, aren't you? Just when I think maybe you aren't the stupid f*ck Pila thinks you are, you post something stupid.

I am not simply lamenting the loss of Viana, but rather disappointed that Sporting sold such an incredibly important player to a championship side and didn't bother to come up with a replacement. So, until Sporting come up with that replacement, I will continue to be disappointed that Sporting sold the true worker of our midfield and left no one to take his place. It is easily the biggest problem Sporting face this season.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Dae said:
Feel free to suck my ass. You really are a twit, aren't you? Just when I think maybe you aren't the stupid f*ck Pila thinks you are, you post something stupid.

I am not simply lamenting the loss of Viana, but rather disappointed that Sporting sold such an incredibly important player to a championship side and didn't bother to come up with a replacement. So, until Sporting come up with that replacement, I will continue to be disappointed that Sporting sold the true worker of our midfield and left no one to take his place. It is easily the biggest problem Sporting face this season.
Yeah but you say it way too often. I wasn't trying to offend you, simply saying that we get the point by now.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
My hat goes off to Benfica - the better team won. There's not much more I can or would want to say about the game. I think our performance was below average at best. I agree with most of the points that were made: an awful midfield, Hugo is terrible, questionable formation, and the fact we play 11 v. 10 when Jardel is out there.

I suggest that the SAD should, on Tuesday morning, write out a check for 800,000 Euros, walk across town to Belenenses' home office, drop if off, and take Neca back to the Avalade with them. If they don't do that, then Boloni should just put Carlos Martins in the lineup! It frustrates me to hell when we've got a midfield that can't complete 2 consecutive passes, yet we have a guy like Martins wallowing away on the bench. Next to JVP, he's probably the best creative, natural passer we've got on roster. By putting a player like Martins in the midfield, it frees up Paulo Bento to win more balls.

Goalkeeping: There's no doubt Nelson was at fault on those goals, particularly the 2nd one. However, it was only one game. I still contend that he's as good as any other Portuguese keeper, be it Ricardo or Quim. Let's not forget the save he made on Simao and Miquel in the 2nd half. If you want to bench Nelson in favor of Tiago on the basis of 1 frango, then think again. Nelson would have to cough up 10-15 more this season before he matches Tiago's frangos.

Defense: I have come to the conclusion that our defense is not that bad, and is as good as the defense we had last year or in 2000. What's the difference? Back in 2000, the D had Vidigal and Delfim in front of them, while last year we had Paulo Bento playing out of this world. The lack of ball winning and space coverage in our midfield is what is killing our defense. Teams are waltzing through our midfield, and leaving our D in 3-on-2 or 4-on-2 situations. Benfica has a bad defense, however they are well-covered by a pair of class trincos in Petit and Tiago.

Attack: I've got one serious problem: does anyone else but JVP and Tonito run off the ball???? MAKE SOME FREAKING RUNS PEOPLE!!!!!!

Boloni: Quick - somebody tell me what formation we played on Saturday. 4-4-2? Not really. 3-4-1-2? Nope, that wasn't it. 4-2-3-1? Well, it kinda of looked that way, but not really. The fact is we have no formation or cohesion. Once we start getting pressured, our structure breaks down completely. I really question some of Boloni's tactics; I've always felt that this was his weakest point and it has really shown this season (re: the Paços game, this game, and the Braga game).

Stat of the day: We've played some 19 competitive games this season (super cup, liga, UEFA, CL, cup). In 19 games, we've used 19 different lineups. That's a big big problem!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Oh yeah, Man of the Match: Without question, Paulo Paraty!!

There is hope for Portuguese Referees after all.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
F1Soccer-Por. said:
Yeah but you say it way too often. I wasn't trying to offend you, simply saying that we get the point by now.

I don't care what point you are tired of hearing. So long as the lack of midfield cohesion and organization continues to kill this potentially good team, I will continue to talk about our need for somebody to organize the offense and connect the defense with the attack. Period.

As Pen said, I agree that our defense is not all that bad. Hugo is crap, but the rest are strong. It's really a question of the midfield not doing their job. They fail both as offensive spark and ball winning in front of the defense. It seems the defense is constantly fighting off fastbreaks because the midfield doesn't stop anybody and take hte ball back.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
It's odd to see all these people back all of a sudden. :D

Anyways, hopefully we'll present a better midfield\attacking game for Porto and a bit less disoriented keeper. That is the next big challange really. We've jumped one hurdle, forgotten to jump another, and running towards the next hurdle. Even though we sit in third, logically their really only one point ahead of us, if you disinclude their game on Wednesday. All top 5 teams have a shot at it. Heck, I wouldn't mind seeing Guimarães competing in European football again(At least I recall them playing in UEFA Cup or Champions League, like 10 or 20 years back, again I'm not TOTALLY sure).

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
F1Soccer-Por. said:
Heck, I wouldn't mind seeing Guimarães competing in European football again(At least I recall them playing in UEFA Cup or Champions League, like 10 or 20 years back, again I'm not TOTALLY sure).
Dude, how many times do we have to tell you to stop talking out of your @ss?? How in the hell could have Guimaraes ever played in the Champions League? And exactly how do you recall Guimaraes in the UEFA Cup 20 years ago when you were still an itch in your dad's pants back then??

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Penguin said:
Dude, how many times do we have to tell you to stop talking out of your @ss?? How in the hell could have Guimaraes ever played in the Champions League? And exactly how do you recall Guimaraes in the UEFA Cup 20 years ago when you were still an itch in your dad's pants back then??
I meant that I recalled reading it somewhere. It was either them or Belenenses, like I said I wasnt exactly sure. What's your problem with me? I even said I wasn't exactly sure so why are you coming at me because I wasn't entirely sure of something??

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
The problem is you make these retarded comments like you know something about the subject and then have the gall to call people down who DO know what they are talking about. Belenenses won the championship in f*cking 1940-something and the CL didn't even exist. As for Vitoria G playing in the UEFA Cup, if you actually read anything about them playing anywhere then I am impressed because I don't recall anybody ever writing anything about a portuguese team that wasn't Sporting, Benfica or Porto. But then, that's just me. ;)

·
XT Oldie
8,395 Posts
Guimaraes played in the UEFA cup 2 or three times in the 90's (maybe one time was the CWC..not entirely sure). The last time around was just after France 98 when they lost in the first round 4-2 on aggregate to Celtic (2-1, 2-1).

I do think that if Guimaraes would play in the UEFA Cup next season, providing a half decent draw they could get to the third round if they keep their core group -Pedro Mendes, Nuno Assis, Romeu, Ricardo Silva and Palatsi (best keeper in Portugal)- together.

Pen, I have another name to add to the hat for you, Pedro Mendes. Outstanding player.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
What's your problem with me?
How many people have to tell you you're an irritant before you start to suspect it's true? There's no conspiracy, it has nothing to do with your age, people here are not especially mean. You just have an annoying way of expressing yourself. Mother Theresa would've kicked you in the nuts by now. Get a clue.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Tinto said:
How many people have to tell you you're an irritant before you start to suspect it's true? There's no conspiracy, it has nothing to do with your age, people here are not especially mean. You just have an annoying way of expressing yourself. Mother Theresa would've kicked you in the nuts by now. Get a clue.
Bwahahahaha:D Ain't that the truth!:D

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
Tinto said:
Bwahahaha :D Too True ;)

Dae, how are things going for you my man?

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Dae said:
The problem is you make these retarded comments like you know something about the subject
I didn't say I KNEW for sure, like I said at the end I wasn't entirely sure. So how does that make me retarded when I admitted that I wasn't entirely sure? I don't see what I did that was so wrong or offending other than make a statement and imply at the ending that I wasn't exactly sure of it. Can you EXPLAIN to me why this makes me such a bad person?

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
It's not any one post, you stupid f*ck. It's your amazing consistency in frequency and your attitude about it when it's pointed out to you that makes you the irritant that you are.

When will it sink in to that brainless knocker that all the criticism and abuse you get is a product of your personality, not that of others?

Why not aknowledge what people have been telling you since you've graced us with your presence and use that newfound awareness as constructive criticism rather than the victimized, arrogance act to resist what you have to know is true by now?

It would be a great gesture of maturity on your long, long road to respectability.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Flo said:
Bwahahaha :D Too True ;)

Dae, how are things going for you my man?

Fair and looking up. I sold the house and move out this weekend. That officially puts all the marriage/divorce stuff behind me (aside from teh fact I'm not sure if the divorce is final. Can't get wife or lawyer to respond :mad: )

I recently had a scare at work where it appeared I could be out of a job by the turn of the year, but things appear straightened out. Most miscommunication.

I am really looking forward to the new year as I will be single, unencumbered, living in new digs and having nothing to do but figure out what I want to do next. Oh, Soccer chick is apparently wanting back in the picture. Not sure what to do with that one, yet. ;)

So, in all, not too bad. :)

61 - 80 of 105 Posts