Xtratime Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What best to start this thread, destined to post videos, pictures and sound linked with Sporting's past, present and future than to start with a party? :party:

Today, December 14th, all the sportinguistas spread around the world are celebrating the 20th anniversary of a very special match...

Estádio José Alvalade, Lisbon
Ref: Vítor Correia (Lisbon)​

SPORTING CP 7-1 SL Benfica

Scorers:​
1-0 Mário Jorge 15', 2-0 Manuel Fernandes 50', 2-1 Wando 59', 3-1 Raphael Meade 65',
4-1 Mário Jorge 68', 5-1 Manuel Fernandes 71', 6-1 Manuel Fernandes 82', 7-1 Manuel Fernandes 86'

Booked:
Carlos Manuel (SLB 20'), Nunes (SLB 62'), Veloso (SLB 67').

:star::star::star::star::star::star::star:

Starting line-ups:

SPORTING CP

Coach: Manuel José

Substitutions:
79' Duílio IN > Fernando Mendes OUT
79' Silvinho IN > Litos OUT

SL Benfica

Coach: John Mortimore

Substitutions:
58' Nunes IN > Shéu OUT
72' César Brito > Diamantino OUT

There's been so much written about this game but I can assure you that no words can translate the feeling of being there, in the old Alvalade, on that chilly December afternoon.

1986/87 was not even a good season for us, as we ended up 4th in the table and our arch-rivals would eventually be champions. Sporting was passing through troubled times with internal rifts in the Board and many financial problems...BUT...it was written that in the middle of that turmoil, those players, brilliantly lead by our legendary captain Manuel Fernandes, would stay in the history of our club and also in the history of Portuguese football.

That afternoon left recorded the biggest ever goal difference on a game between the two greatest rivals in Portugal and also registered the biggest ever defeat of Benfica in games for the Portuguese League.

After Manuel Fernandes scored Sporting's 7th goal, his 4th of the afternoon, an old man jumping by my side on the stand of the old Lateral where Juve Leo used to be, grabbed me by my shirt and told me: "listen kid, you will never forget this one, I promise you, you will never forget it!".
He was right. :proud:

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Exactly 50 years ago, 9 February 1958, RTP, the Portuguese state television, broadcasted its first ever live football game.

As usual, Sporting was the first. We hosted Austria Vienna in a friendly in Alvalade and won 4-0.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.