Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well friends - Benfica's role now is that of spoiler & to send a message to the entire liga that Benfica will be the clear-cut favorites next season.

Based on injuries/suspensions, etc., here's what we're looking at for a lineup:

G: Enke
D: Andrade, Madeira, Ronaldo, Rojas
M: Poborsky, Kandaurov, Calado, Sabry
F: Nuno Gomes, Joao Pinto

Kandaurov & Calado are "questionable", so you could plug Maniche into either of those spots (he's back from suspension). Uribe is also questionable due to injury. Machairidis is out with an injury & Bruno Basto is out to serve his suspension.

Not the strongest lineup on defense, but I think we can still manage a draw. What do you guys think?

·
International
5,629 Posts
Thanks for the update...and you're right, it looks like defensively we're a bit weak, although we do get Enke back :)!

Machiaridis has been for the most part, the most solid defender we've had...I will not forget the job that he did against Porto. So I think his absence could cause us problems.

Either way I would love to see Benfica destroy Sporting, just to at least keep me somewhat satisified over the summer...but if it doesn't happen so be it.

This game would have had a lot more pizzaz if Benfica we fighting for the title, but since we're not a victory over Sporting will at least gives us our pride!

------------------
Viva o Benfica!

·
Registered
595 Posts
A draw? Benfica can perfectly win the game. OK, Sporting is in a good phase, but they still have to get THOSE 3 points. I think the players will feel stimulated to take them from Sporting, and you now how the Leões can get nervous...
Benfica has nothing to lose, not even the third place. So this is one of the last chances they have to show themselves this season, and with no substancial pressure on them. I just hope both teams score nice goals and that Sporting gets the championship - either in this game or in the last.

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
Razor,
Sorry but I have to disagree with you, and to agree with the other Benfiquistas. Benfica will never play for a draw. If Sporting ties, they will be the lucky ones. If Benfica’s mid-fielders and forwards have a good game, they’ll make up for the weak defense.

Let’s give all our support to our players. They are the best we have for now. And if the fans don’t believe in them, how can we expect to have the confidence it takes to win games? I would rather have better players, but for now I hope that the ones that we do have beat Sporting and spoil their party.

And by the way I am very thankful Enke is back, Bossio could sometimes drive people mad. Watching a game with Bossio in the net is always so frustrating.

------------------
BENFICA--Forever

·
Registered
646 Posts
Razor, you've gotta be taking the piss with your assessment of next season.

btw does anyone know anything about Bossio's move to Spain?

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LadyEagle (by the way - a belated "welcome to the forum")- I don't think Benfica will be playing for a draw at all. On the contrary, I think they'll be playing full-out for a win. I just think that with the stadium sold out, and the Sporting supporters really rallying around the club, it's going to be a tough environment to go in and win with what basically amounts to your B-squad defense against the 1st-place team in the league.

You're right; Benfica has nothing to lose, but Sporting has everything to lose, so they'll be playing for blood, too. In all, I'm hoping for a win, but I think a draw is possible.

As for Santamaria - enjoy the feeling now: if/when Sporting win this year (which I hope they do), they won't win it again for another 18 years.

Remember...BENFICA E O GLORIOSO!

PS - I'll pay for Bossio's ticket to Spain with my own money.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Razor,
It was on the cover of Sunday's A Bola (not the main story)

I haven't read it yet but JVA said a move was on and they'd get more than they paid for him. Maybe Enke will stay?

I disagree with your prediction of the next 18 years. Sporting have assembled a talented squad and with their new found financial muscle they look well set.

In comparison, and i'll think you'll agree, Benfica's squad needs an overhaul and their finances are in a real mess (until ths SAD comes through at least).

To illustrate my point if you listed the Sporting players they would want to keep and Benfica's, the Sporting list would be much longer.

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
Razor,
Thanks for the welcome.

I understand what you are talking about. Benfica will be playing away, with only 2000 supporters. That could be rough. But sometimes when you don’t have that much support, you just feel like showing the other fans that they are supporting the wrong team.
Benfica will play to win, and they will. I hope that the fact that there will be so many supporters for Sporting, will serve as an incentive for Benfica’s players.

And if Sporting wins this year, I think that they will only win again in the next century. Oops, I meant millennium. :Þ

Oh, and by the way I'll chip in for Bossio's ticket.

------------------
BENFICA--Forever

[This message has been edited by LadyEagle (edited 05-05-2000).]

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
Well thank you Santamaria.
I knew you would like it, especially the “century millennium” thing. It reminds me of some things that don’t make any sense that I once read somewhere. Does it ring a bell? Yeah, it is as well reasoned as those comments.

By the way, and on a serious note now, thanks for apologizing. I understood that the comment was a joke, but I just thought that it wasn’t very funny. And its not like it was the first time that I was subjected to that kind of comment or behavior, so I may have overreacted.

As for Sporting beating Benfica, only a miracle. But since I believe in miracles, I won’t put that possibility out of question.(But that will be very hard) I will always support my team, since I am the biggest Benfica fan. And I know you will always support yours. And at the end I want Sporting to win the title. That will make my best friend a very happy person, since she loves Sporting. We are always getting at each other, but this time I’ll congratulate her, and all my friends who like Sporting (but I know Benfica is the best and I am sure that will come up in the conversation). That is not the way I like it, I would much rather see Benfica win, but too late now. Since Porto was getting extremely annoying with that Bi-tri talk, I don’t want them to win. I just hope Sporting fans are respectful and celebrate their victory and not the other teams’ defeats.

As for the game I think Acosta will score first, but at the end Benfica will win 3-1. Goals by Sabry, Nuno Gomes, and either Poborski or Joao Pinto. That would be great. But in a Sporting- Benfica anything is possible. And as long as it is a good game, and Benfica plays well, I’ll be very happy and proud of them.

And to all Benfiquistas----BENFICA ALWAYS AND FOREVER (We know we are the best)
GO BENFICA---
BENFICA
BENFICA
BENFICA

1 - 11 of 11 Posts