Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to an article by Rodger Baillie in todays Sunday Times (Sports section), a plan for a revolutionary reshape of Scottish football has been scuppered after Premer league clubs pulled back on the brink of agreeing a scheme to split the country's 20 top clubs into two divisions of 10. The other 22 league clubs would have been cut adrift to join up with junior outfits in regional leagues.

The move would have seen the top 10 sides form SPL1, with the bottom two teams (currently Livingston & Dunfermline) joining the top eight sides from the First division to play in SPL2. The discarded sides, most of whom are part-time, would then have been sub-divided into north and south leagues to cut travelling costs. A pyramid structure at all levels would have allowed for promotion and relegation to make sure the top leagues did not turn into a closed shop.

The scheme was discussed recently by the 12 clubs in the Premier league at a series of meetings, and was rejected by only a small minority. However, it now appears unlikely the plans will be revived in the near future. At present, the Premier league are concentrating on their response to the Scottish parliament enterprise and culture committee's investigation into the state of Scottish football, buoyed by the health of their competition.

Article goes on a bit longer and cites that the UEFA co-efficient has improved from 26th (when SPL was formed) to 10th. If we reach 8th we would have 6 teams qualifying for Europe (5 SPL and Scottish cup winner).

I would have liked to type the whole thing but am too tired and can't find it online.

Now discuss. :D

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I dont really like the idea of the league getting smaller so im glad it got rejected, i would much prefer the SPL to be expanded to 16 or 18 teams, bringing us in line with the rest of europe.

Im quite suprised we were as low as 26th in the co-effcient if we've gone up 16 places then that is really good progress as far as im concerned and 8th is definately within our reach, we just need to get both celtic and rangers in a good run in europe...and hopefully hibs as well can get through the group stages of the uefa cup next season

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
I like the idea of a revamp and also the idea of regional feeder leagues. This is a road I really hope we go down in future. There are alot of Junior clubs who are better supported and better run than the lower member clubs. If you add to that the Highland League clubs, East of Scotland and South of Scotland clubs then a good network of feeder leagues could be arranged with the ultimate goal of playing League football.

Like shieldos_s9 though I'm not for reducing the number of clubs per league and would rather see it expanded to 16 or 18 teams. An SPL 2 aqnd SPL 2 of 16 or 18 teams would be great. That would require only 10 or 8 clubs dropping out to the feeders. Expanding the number of relegated teams between a new SPL 1 and SPL 2 to 4 would make for some excitement too. I'm all for opportunity.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
This is how the new look Scottish League would look under our new 'format' both leagues consist of 18 teams, i wasnt sure about the european places available in the league so i just kinda split them up 2 for CL and 2 for Uefa.

SPL1

Celtic
Rangers
--------------
Hibs
Aberdeen
--------------
Hearts
Motherwell
Inverness
Kilmarnock
Dundee
Dundee United
Livingston
Dunfermline
Falkirk
Clyde
St Mirren
---------------
Ross County
St Johnstone
Airdrie United

SPL 2

Queen Of The South
Hamilton
Partick Thistle
----------------
Raith Rovers
Brechin City
Stranraer
Morton
Stirling
Forfar
Ayr United
Alloa Athletic
Dumbarton
Arbroath
Berwick
Gretna
Peterhead
Montrose
Cowdenbeath

·
Registered
278 Posts
Dunno how many times this has been raised now. And the same answers always come up: Bigger (but less) leagues with access for highland/juniors. Personally i'd rather see a system like this:

Premier League
20 teams

1st and 2nd place: Champions League Places
3rd place & Cup winners: Uefa Cup Place
bottom 3 clubs: relegated

First Division
20 teams

1st and 2nd place: Automatic Promotion
3rd, 4th, 5th & 6th place: compete in play-offs for 3rd promotional spot
bottom two clubs: relegated

Regional Leagues (made up of junior/highland clubs)
North Div 1 | South Div 1
North Div 2 | South Div 2
North Div 3 | South Div 3

Top team from both Div 1 would be promoted.
1 team relegated(except bottom divisions).

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well blow me, you've nailed it! Why were you not on Ernie Walker's think tank?

Hold on I've just realised why, you're capable of good ideas. :D

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
We definitely need a feeder league system. There are alot of clubs who deserve the chance to push into Professional Football.

I'd rather see a maximum of 18 teams per league with a minimum of 16 teams. I think 40 teams is too much. We have a tenth of the population of England yet have the same number of leagues. We have a third of the population of the Netherlands yet have more teams. I really needs looking at.

I like x69adam's suggestions. The feeder leagues would be intersting because a North and South divide wouldn't work here as it does in England. Apart from the Highland League and at a push the South of Scotland League the other leagues are all central with an East to West split.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Maybe i've got this wrong but what happens if the bottom 2 clubs in the first division were both from the north...would that mean a north club would go into the south league?!

maybe i didnt understand it right, if so i apologise

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
I'd imagine it would have to be a straight swap regardless of the location of the club. In England 3 teams are relegated from the Conference National League to the North and South Leagues- I'd assume that works the same way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts