Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When was the last time a player outwith Celtic and Rangers won this gong?

Considering the poor standards of both Celtic and Rangers this season you've got to imagine that a player outside of the top two is in the running for the award this year.

My vote would probably go to Paul Hartley, with Tony Mowbray Manager of the Year.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Would have to say Derek Riordan, when was the last time a scottish player scored that amount of goals? Ally McCoist I would guess....as for Manager of the Year again would have to come from Hibs with Tony Mowbray getting my vote.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
There's not much chance of a non-Old Firm player getting the award. I don't think Hartley has been good enough over the whole season. Same goes for Riordan. The guy's done well to score so many goals, but remember that none of them have been against either Rangers or Celtic.

It's still difficult to say what Old Firm player will win the votes. From Rangers, I would say it's between Ricksen and Prso. You know how Celtic have been performing better than me, but from what i've heard Petrov and Sutton seem to be mentioned most prominently. It would probably be really tight if Sutton hadn't had a few injuries, but I reckon Prso will get the nod (surprisingly). Boumsong would probably have walked it if he'd stayed, but he's now being made to look a bit dodgy in the Premiership.

Riordan will get the young player's award.

As for manager of the year, it could easily go to whoever wins the league, but I think the manager of the team that comes third will have deserved it. If that's Hibs, then Mowbray has got a young team playing good, consistent football. If it's Aberdeen, then Jimmy Calderwood will deserve a huge amount of credit for turning them around in a year. If Hearts do it, Robbo will deserve the award because of the severe financial constraints he's working under compared to his predecessor.

·
Banned
845 Posts
RIORDAN
RICKSEN
NOVO
SUTTON
O'CONNOR
McGEADY
VIGNAL

BUT I THINK PETROV DESERVES IT CUZ HES BEEN AMAZIN.

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
If it's not going to be a non Old Firm player (and it won't be, let's face facts here :D) It will either be Prso or Petrov. Because it's Prso's first season here, it will probably edge his way, in my opinion.

I think Riordan has to be a "lock", to quote American terminology, for Young Player of the Year, although McGeady might get a lot of votes.

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking McGeady might be in with a shout for the young player award myself, Visca - although politics with him snubbing Scotland might influence that decision sadly. Riordan deserves an award for his performances this season as well though.

Prso is a decent shout i suppose, i'm still not convinced that he's a natural goalscorer, but he's definitely been instrumental in Rangers making it a genuine title race this season - so considering he was bought on a bosman then he's proved decent value.

Like i've said on a few other threads, Celtic have been disappointing for the vast majority of the season and none of our players have really stood out. Sutton had a spell for a few months where he was outstanding, but too many games missed through injury will probably rule him out so i'd agree that Petrov is probably our best candidate.

The manager of the year award for me shouldn't really be in doubt, maybe it's my bias showing, but for the breath of fresh air Hibs have provided to the SPL this year with their exciting brand of football then Mowbray can be the only winner as far as i'm concerned.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
It's hard to see past Riordan for the young player award although I would expect to find Garry O'Connor, Zander Diamond and maybe even Craig Gordon on the shortlist.

I think between you you've managed to name all the genuine contenders for the senior award but like some of you I don't think anyone has it nailed on. Most of them seem to have had a dip or an injury just when they were looking good for it.

I think Scott Leitch and Russell Anderson have had very good seasons but I don't expect them to gatecrash the party.

On a final note I'm prepared to offer any of you "tasty" odds on the chances of Juninho or Dragan Mladenovic winning the award. :jester:

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No idea Marco.

The official nominees for the award have been named today.

Paul Hartley, John Hartson, Fernando Ricksen and Nacho Novo.

I'm shocked that Hartson is the Celtic candidate, he hasn't even been Celtic's player of the season let alone Scotland's. Prso isn't among the candidates either surprisingly.

From that list i'd say Ricksen is pretty much a cert to win it.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
This is the player's player of the year, right?

I don't know how they compile the nominees, but this list is a bit of a joke. As you say Hartson being included is a shock. There's also no way that Novo has had a better season than Prso.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
The only reason I can think for Novo and Hartson being in the shortlist is the amount of goals they have scored in the league. If that is the case then I think Riordan was a better bet, unless he on the young player shortlist. Riordan has scored as many goals as Novo and one less than Hartson in the league but his team have scored alot less.

I too would rather see Prso nominated over Novo. I'm not sure who Celtic's candidate would be, not best qualified to say but probably Sutton. I'd agree with some of the ones on The Judge's list and would also add Burton O'Brien to that.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Marco Negri said:
Was Maurice Malpas not the last non-Old Firm player to win it?

I could be wrong.
It was actually Jim Bett for Aberdeen in 1989/90. Here is the full list:

• 1977-78 Derek Johnstone (Rangers)
  • 1978-79 Paul Hegarty (Dundee United)
  • 1979-80 Davie Provan (Celtic)
  • 1980-81 Mark McGhee (Aberdeen)
  • 1981-82 Sandy Clark (Airdrie)
  • 1982-83 Charlie Nicholas (Celtic)
  • 1983-84 Willie Miller (Aberdeen)
  • 1984-85 Jim Duffy (Morton)
  • 1985-86 Richard Gough (Dundee United)
  • 1986-87 Brian McLair (Celtic)
  • 1987-88 Paul McStay (Celtic)
  • 1988-89 Theo Snelders (Aberdeen)
  • 1989-90 Jim Bett (Aberdeen)
  • 1990-91 Paul Elliot (Celtic)
  • 1991-92 Ally McCoist (Rangers)
  • 1992-93 Andy Goram (Rangers)
  • 1993-94 Mark Hateley (Rangers)
  • 1994-95 Brian Laudrup (Rangers)
  • 1995-96 Paul Gascoigne (Rangers)
  • 1996-97 Paolo di Canio (Celtic)
  • 1997-98 Jackie McNamara (Celtic)
  • 1998-99 Henrik Larsson (Celtic)
  • 1999-00 Mark Viduka (Celtic)
  • 2000-01 Henrik Larsson (Celtic)
  • 2001-02 Lorenzo Amorouso (Rangers)
  • 2002-03 Barry Ferguson (Rangers)
  • 2003-04 Chris Sutton (Celtic)

·
Registered
946 Posts
chivoexpiatorio said:
It was actually Jim Bett for Aberdeen in 1989/90. Here is the full list:

• 1977-78 Derek Johnstone (Rangers)
  • 1978-79 Paul Hegarty (Dundee United)
  • 1979-80 Davie Provan (Celtic)
  • 1980-81 Mark McGhee (Aberdeen)
  • 1981-82 Sandy Clark (Airdrie)
  • 1982-83 Charlie Nicholas (Celtic)
  • 1983-84 Willie Miller (Aberdeen)
  • 1984-85 Jim Duffy (Morton)
  • 1985-86 Richard Gough (Dundee United)
  • 1986-87 Brian McLair (Celtic)
  • 1987-88 Paul McStay (Celtic)
  • 1988-89 Theo Snelders (Aberdeen)
  • 1989-90 Jim Bett (Aberdeen)
  • 1990-91 Paul Elliot (Celtic)
  • 1991-92 Ally McCoist (Rangers)
  • 1992-93 Andy Goram (Rangers)
  • 1993-94 Mark Hateley (Rangers)
  • 1994-95 Brian Laudrup (Rangers)
  • 1995-96 Paul Gascoigne (Rangers)
  • 1996-97 Paolo di Canio (Celtic)
  • 1997-98 Jackie McNamara (Celtic)
  • 1998-99 Henrik Larsson (Celtic)
  • 1999-00 Mark Viduka (Celtic)
  • 2000-01 Henrik Larsson (Celtic)
  • 2001-02 Lorenzo Amorouso (Rangers)
  • 2002-03 Barry Ferguson (Rangers)
  • 2003-04 Chris Sutton (Celtic)
Well, MM was the last non-OF player to win the Writer's Player of the Year. It said so in today's Record.

So I was half-right.

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All of these player of the year awards are confusing me.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Marco Negri said:
Well, MM was the last non-OF player to win the Writer's Player of the Year. It said so in today's Record.

So I was half-right.
Yes, you are. Here are the Writers player of the year winners. I think I'm correct in saying this award is more prestigious than the other one and certainly has been running longer. For players I think they appreciate the other award more because it is voted on by their fellow professionals.

• 1965 Billy Mc Neill (Celtic)
  • 1966 John Greig (Rangers)
  • 1967 Ronnie Simpson (Celtic)
  • 1968 Gordon Wallace (Raith Rovers)
  • 1969 Bobby Murdoch (Celtic)
  • 1970 Pat Stanton (Hibs)
  • 1971 Martin Buchan (Aberdeen)
  • 1972 Dave Smith (Rangers)
  • 1973 George Connolly (Celtic)
  • 1974 World Cup Squad
  • 1975 Sandy Jardine (Rangers)
  • 1976 John Greig (Rangers)
  • 1977 Danny McGrain (Celtic)
  • 1978 Derek Johnstone (Rangers)
  • 1979 Andy Ritchie (Morton)
  • 1980 Gordon Strachan (Aberdeen)
  • 1981 Alan Rough (Partick Thistle)
  • 1982 Paul Sturrock (Dundee Utd)
  • 1983 Charlie Nicholas (Celtic)
  • 1984 Willie Miller (Aberdeen)
  • 1985 Hamish Mc Alpine (Dundee Utd)
  • 1986 Sandy Jardine (Hearts)
  • 1987 Brian McLair (Celtic)
  • 1988 Paul McStay (Celtic)
  • 1989 Richard Gough (Rangers)
  • 1990 Alex McLeish (Aberdeen)
  • 1991 Maurice Malpas (Dundee Utd)
  • 1992 Ally McCoist (Rangers)
  • 1993 Andy Goram (Rangers)
  • 1994 Mark Hately (Rangers)
  • 1995 Brian Laudrup (Rangers)
  • 1996 Paul Gascoigne (Rangers)
  • 1997 Brian Laudrup (Rangers)
  • 1998 Craig Burley (Celtic)
  • 1999 Henrik Larsson (Celtic)
  • 2000 Barry Ferguson (Rangers)
  • 2001 Henrik Larsson (Celtic)
  • 2002 Paul Lambert (Celtic)
  • 2003 Barry Ferguson (Rangers)
  • 2004 Jackie McNamara (Celtic)

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
The Nominations are in...

Players' Player of the Year Award

Paul Hartley-Hearts
John Hartson-Celtic
Nacho Novo-Rangers
Fernando Ricksen-Rangers

Young Player of the Year Award (im not sure if this is voted by the players or not)

Derek Riordan-Hibs
Aidan McGeady-Celtic
Craig Gordon-Hearts
Mark Wilson-Dundee United

The full article is below from the BBC's Website...

Hearts midfielder Paul Hartley faces Old Firm opposition in the race for the Players' Player of the Year award.
The other nominees are Celtic striker John Hartson and Rangers duo Nacho Novo and Fernando Ricksen.

Welsh international Hartson leads the SPL scoring charts this season with 19 goals so far, while Spaniard Novo is just one behind.

28-year-old Hartley has been enjoying a good season and won his first Scotland cap last month.

Derek Riordan, Aiden McGeady, Craig Gordon and Mark Wilson will battle it out for the Young Player trophy.

I can personally see Nacho Novo getting the Players' Player of the Year because even as a Celtic fan i think he has been a good signing for you bluenoses whereas Hartson hasnt really impressed me with his overall play despite his goal tally this season standing at 19 and above everyone else.

As for young player of they year, Derek Riordan and Aidan McGeady are the standouts and as i said earlier i would have to choose Riordan who 'hopefully' will be a Celt come this summer...just a little bit of idle transfer specualtion from myself there ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts