Xtratime Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three games left to go and we must win them all if we are to take the SPL title this season. The last game of the season at Pittodrie always looked the most difficult fixture of the three but now it must be this one. We just don't know how the disappointment of the defeat in Manchester will effect this group of players. You'd like to think it will give them the motivation now to go and win these 3 remaining games but that is not always the case.

Motherwell have done what they set out to do Motherwell will rightly get a big reception from their fans as they look forward to Europe next season. The fact that they no longer need the points won't make them try any less. It's their last home game of the season so they'll want to win it regardless. We only have to look back to 2005 to see that a Motherwell team with nothing to play for can still have a big say in where the title ends up.

It's up to Walter, Ally and Kenny to lift the team and get them kick started here. If we fail to win not only would we need Celtic to slip up on the last day but I think we would then be incapable of winning our remaining 2 matches anyway. That's why this one is so important. And it will be difficult. Motherwell held us to a draw there earlier in the season and nearly got another one at Ibrox.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
As far as i'm concerned this is as big a match as the UEFA Cup final. If we don't win then Celtic win the league. Simple as that. It's going to take a monumental effort for the guys to lift themselves, but they have to. Maybe Walter should make a few changes to freshen things up.

I'll feel a lot better about the league if we can pick up 3 points here, but I honestly don't feel good about it.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agreed Angle. Each of these games have now become bigger that the UEFA Cup final given what is at stake and failure to win any of them means the title will be over.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Jesus christ, talk about a disfunctional team who are cocking up everything they touch, if I knew this in advance I'd have stuck £100 on Rangers keeping a clean sheet.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
:dielaugh: I'd have doubled my bet and stuck on £200 to have seen that result and quite happily have forgotten about the money! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Rangers fans really need to get over their paranoia, it's unhealthy. :)

Ignoring the fixture congestion shambles why did the SPL schedule the two old firm games at parkhead together (in between our uefa cup semi final) when we should have had a games against St Mirren which was an outstanding fixture for longer? Seems a bit odd that every decision the SPL made for the title run in seemed to benefit one club at the expense of another. But maybe thats just coincidence...

This was a handball, apparently - to say otherwise must be paranoia :rollani:

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
I'm not getting into blaming anyone else, regardless of that blame being merited or not. We've blown the league ourselves over a number of matches. Realistically, the turning point was when Celtic got the last minute winner against us. We've had a fantastic run to the UEFA Cup final and played all these matches and it was inevitably going to take its toll. We've known all season that we are very much a work in progress and that many of our players are severely limited individuals. We need Dundee United to do us a favour now, and they're probably the last team i'd want to rely on given all the greeting and moaning they've done about playing us this season.

The funny thing is, I thought we played better today than when we beat Motherwell at Ibrox a couple of weeks ago. Cousin's miss at the start of the second half was the turning point.

I thought Walter waited far too long to make his subs against Zenit and he was a bit slow again today. Dailly was in the team as a holding midfielder, but once Motherwell equalised he played more advanced, so to me it would have made more sense to sub him for a proper midfielder who can pass the ball. Predictably, at the end of the match, Motherwell looked much fresher than we did.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Ignoring the fixture congestion shambles why did the SPL schedule the two old firm games at parkhead together (in between our uefa cup semi final) when we should have had a games against St Mirren which was an outstanding fixture for longer? Seems a bit odd that every decision the SPL made for the title run in seemed to benefit one club at the expense of another. But maybe thats just coincidence...

This was a handball, apparently - to say otherwise must be paranoia :rollani:
Yeah, and apparently a 20-yard goal deflected off Davie Weir is offside and when a player is taken out of the game 10 yards out with a clear goalscoring opportunity it's not a penalty when it's against Rangers. These things even themselves out over the course of the season. :thumbsup:

I'm sure that Gordon Smith's henchmen will be looking to do you a few more favours between now and the end of the season now that you're struggling though.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That was it for us today I'm afraid. It's all over now as far as I am concerned. Not just because it's out of our own hands now but because we have also lost momentum. We haven't lost alot of games of late but our inability to beat sides means it is very unlikely we will take another 6 points regardless of what Celtic do at Tannadice.

The most disappointing thing for me today was it was alot like last week. We started strongly, took a lead in at half time and then went to sleep in the second half. Last week though we could get away with it as we had an extra goal cushion but today we did not. Mentally I think the players once again came out for the second half thinking they'd done the hard work.

Tactically it wasn't good enough. We did get a goal via the long ball but it was too predictable thereafter. There was no build up and more often than not the long ball was overhit and went straight through to Smith in the Well goal. It just wasn't good enough. We were hoping something would come off rather than trying to impose ourselves on an inferior side and make it happen.

I don't think our visit to Paisley now is a formality. On this form I think we will struggle as St Mirren are for my money one of the best defensive sides outside of the top two.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Incidentally, I know it's 99% certain that it wouldn't have made a difference, but why did the referee blow the whistle 20 seconds early when we had the ball and were about to launch it into the 18-yard box one more time?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
I dont like all this talk about its over! Enough please ;)

We were saying the exact things 2 months ago and look whats fu*king happened!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts