Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about this for weeks, but the Evening Times (I know :eek: ) backpage reminded me about it. Their headline states, "SPL set to hand Old Firm edge to Celtic." Having read the article I fail to see what real advantage Celtic are getting. Unsurprisingly the article is written by Ronnie Cully :rolleyes:.

The current top six are ourselves, Celtic, Hibernian, Hearts, Aberdeen, and Motherwell. I think there's a fair chance that this group will comprise the final line-up.

Given that, my take on the fixtures after the split is that Rangers will play:

Celtic @ Ibrox
Aberdeen @ Ibrox
Hearts @ Ibrox
Hibernian @ Easter Road
Motherwell @ Fir Park

with Celtic playing:

Motherwell @ Celtic Park
Hibernian @ Celtic Park
Rangers @ Ibrox
Hearts @ Tynecastle
Aberdeen @ Pittodrie

I can't be sure about that obviously, but last season Celtic had 3 matches at home after the split, whereas we had 2. I think this figure tends to depend on who has home advantage in the last Old Firm fixture of the season. In addition, I think all of the other clubs have to play one of the Old Firm teams at home, and the other away.

Even if Kilmarnock displace Motherwell in 6th place, Rangers will simply travel to Rugby Park instead of Fir Park, and Celtic will have Kilmarnock at home instead of Motherwell. Does it appear to anyone else apart from Mr. Cully that Celtic will have an advantage after the split?

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
You are right. Celtic had 3 home games after the split last season while Rangers had two. The opposite was true the season before and so on.

I can sort of understand what the article is saying in that we'll have to play one team this season once at home and three times away while Celtic will play one team three times at home but only one time away. I can't see how it makes much difference either as at the end of the season both teams will have played 18 home games and 18 away games.

The split is a joke and the article shows where it is flawed but likewise that could have went in Rangers' favour.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Marco Negri said:
I fancy Caley Thistle to end up in sixth place. Rangers in Inverness! I can dream.
They are playing well enough and especially so at the Caledonian Stadium now. They are 6 points behind 6th place Motherwell having played a game less so you never know. I think they've got as good a chacne as Motherwell or Killie of grabbing a top 6 finish. The 4 teams below them are not playing well enough to get into that spot in my opinion so I think it's a 3 horse race between them.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Who do you support for 6th place then? We'll be away to whoever finishes in that position. I think i'd rather we went to Rugby Park than Fir Park or Inverness.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Angle_eyes said:
Who do you support for 6th place then? We'll be away to whoever finishes in that position. I think i'd rather we went to Rugby Park than Fir Park or Inverness.
Yeah I'm with you on that one. My preference would be in that order. Inverness at the Caledonian stadium looks the most difficult prospect for me.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Goddam the SPl and SFA. Always anti-celtic, always giving things Rangers way. :nono: :excited:

Shit happens, Eck will just have to get the boys up for whoever it is we play for a third time away from home. 3rd time in 5 years Celtic have had this advantage if it happens too I might add.

Just have to pray it isnt Hearts again as I don't know if we can take them away from home again, especially if Hugh isn't gonna referee it. :shades:

Anyways, I am off to write my book about all the injustices and anti-rangers media we get. Expect to see it on many Rangers supporters sites soon, and feel free to use it as gospel truth if you need any quotes to back up any paranoia arguments :shades: . :happy:

·
Registered
946 Posts
Angle_eyes said:
Well, I'm never able to get to games because I live right up here in the Highlands. If Rangers played in Inverness then I'd almost certainly be able to get tickets. I'm being selfish but, yes, Caley in Inverness looks like the harder game.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
I'd imagine the first game will be the Old Firm game. It certainly won't be in the last two or possibly 3 fixtures. The SPL won't won't either side winning the league at Ibrox so it will come quickly. Given that fixtures for Rangers it will probably be HAHAH with Celtic having a AHAHA I think it's 80% sure the first one will be the Old Firm game.

If that is the case then our last game of the season will be at home to either Hearts or Aberdeen with Celtic playing the other of those two sides away from home. As both teams still have destiny in their own hands it could well be a real nail biter on the last day of the season. I'd prefer the league was over before then.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just looking at the sith section there, and they've started their own post-split fixtures thread (not the quickest, I know). If their list is correct, then Celtic really do have an advantage. They'll be playing Aberdeen 3 times at Celtic Park whilst we'll play them 3 times at Pittodrie presumably. The other team that they could have done this with would have been Motherwell (who are looking relatively solid for 6th place). Surely it would make better sense to do it with the team placed lower in the table, i.e. it's a bigger advantage to Celtic to avoid going to Pittodrie than Fir Park.

King_Henrik said:
Here is the provisional list of post-split Celtic fixtures, released today.

23 April 2005

Heart of Midlothian v Celtic - KO:1230 *

1 May 2005

Rangers v Celtic - KO:1230 *

8 May 2005

Celtic v Aberdeen - KO:1400 *

14 May 2005

Celtic v Hibernian

23 May 2005

Motherwell v Celtic

All Kick Off's 3pm unless otherwise stated

* Setanta Live Match

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
If that is the case then they have been given a slight advantage. We'll still play Aberdeen at Ibrox but will have to play Motherwell 3 times at Fir Park while Siths will play Aberdeen 3 times at Darkheid. As SPL rep said at the weekend that every team will have a 19-19 split of home and away games so on that side of things it evens out.

Since we have lost 6 points this season against bottom 6 opposition it might not be a bad thing. That's twice as many points as we've lost to Celtic this season.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
chivoexpiatorio said:
If that is the case then they have been given a slight advantage. We'll still play Aberdeen at Ibrox but will have to play Motherwell 3 times at Fir Park while Siths will play Aberdeen 3 times at Darkheid. As SPL rep said at the weekend that every team will have a 19-19 split of home and away games so on that side of things it evens out.

Since we have lost 6 points this season against bottom 6 opposition it might not be a bad thing. That's twice as many points as we've lost to Celtic this season.
The reason I think we'll have to play Aberdeen at Pittodrie if the Celtic information is correct is because, historically, it seems that the non-Old Firm teams play one of them at home, and the other away (maybe for financial reasons). I think they would just change it so that we play Motherwell at Ibrox instead.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Angle_eyes said:
The reason I think we'll have to play Aberdeen at Pittodrie if the Celtic information is correct is because, historically, it seems that the non-Old Firm teams play one of them at home, and the other away (maybe for financial reasons). I think they would just change it so that we play Motherwell at Ibrox instead.
I see what you mean, that certainly looks plausible.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Teddy Bear said:
who released the provisional list?

haven't seen it reported in the papers yet....
Me neither, very strange. KH is obviously keeping his sources quiet on that one.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Marco Negri said:
Perhaps KH is David Taylor.
Can't be David Taylor as the SFA, like most people in Scotland connected to football, are anti-Celtic. More likely to be Martin but then again he's not from "the 32". In fact is anyone at Celtic from "the 32"?

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
According to the Scotsman today the old firm fixture will be on the Saturday 23 April as I suspected. Alot will depend on how the games go in the remainder of the pre-split fixtures. If one team pushed some way ahead of the other then it will most likely be first fixture as long as neither side can win the league on that day.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts