Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
6 league games left and we must win 5 of them to ensure we keep destiny in our own hands and win the title. The games just keep getting bigger and bigger with a tight run-in approaching but we would rather this than what we have been used to the past 2 seasons at this point. One trophy in the bad, still in the title race and two cup finals to look forward to. It's been a magical first full season for Walter on his return- but he's no Billy Reid. ;)

We still have problems with injuries but we're probably getting back to better shape now. As far as I can remember off the top of my head it's only McGregor, McCulloch and Adam that are out with injury and Whittaker is suspended. I read somewhere that Beasley makes a welcome return to the squad this week which is good news.

Hibs have bigger problems that us to be fair. Defeat at Pittodrie was not only costly for their European aspirations but it meant they have Guillame Beuzelin, Colin Nish and Thierry Gatheussi missing through suspension. Those will be a big loss for them without a doubt.

Celtic's win at Fir Park has a kind of knock on effect for the game. It makes it all the more important Rangers win but it also gives Hibs more incentive as they can now overtake Motherwell with a win.

We must forget about the points we trail Celtic and we must forget about two cups we are still involved in. It's not about concentrating on winning 5 league games out of 6 to lift the League title starting tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Tough game, one of the hardest in the run in without a doubt particularly after the midweek exertions.

Hopefully players are really fired up for this, seeing celtic get another 3 points solely because of refereeings "mistakes" (not to mention the weakened team fielded by the opposition), should be all the team talk they need.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes too true. The players must now realise that it's almost time for the summer holidays and we need one last push. Incidently starting from tomorrow we play 3 times before Celtic host Hibs next Sunday so it is possible for us to get back on to of the league- albeit for 24 hours. It is something we have to do.

In the next week we play 2 home games and 1 away game so must take 9 points it. If we take 6 points it's still in our hands but I'd much rather go into the final 3 league games having to win 2 of them.

Fatigue will play it's part after an exhausting 120 minutes of Thursday night and we know Hibs always put alot of energy into these games. We should be able to impose on the midfield though and I feel we'll need Novo or Buffel at some point to unlock them at the back. After Cousin let us down midweek I hope he can repay tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Well i am staying in tonight! Need a clear head for Easter Road tommorrow. Worst away game by a mile(well maybe Aberdeen, but avoid that if i can)

That leith walk is a knightmare!

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
We need to win this one, and I think we will. It's a shame Whittaker's suspended because he's actually started to convince me that he's a decent player in the last few weeks. I'm sure the players will be really up for this one. Hopefully Smith and McCoist are like me in that they're looking at that last day fixture at Pittodrie and wanting the league wrapped up before then. Going there to even get a point is not a scenario any of us should want at this stage.

2-0 Rangers hopefully. Wee Nacho to score both.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
After Cousin let us down midweek I hope he can repay tomorrow.
It was a stupid reaction and a stupid way to get sent off, but maybe these things happen for a reason. If he was still on the pitch he was a definite penalty taker. Who knows, he might have missed and Fiorentina could have gone through. So basically, Daniel did the right thing :D

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
This game could set the tone for your run in. You no longer have the nervousness surrounding reaching the UEFA final to distract you and this will test wether your players still care enough to fight for the league or if indeed they actually still have enough left in their engines to achieve it.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
dp.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Even under normal circumstances this would be a hard game because Hibs have constantly made a game of it at Easter Road whenever either side of the Old Firm visit. The only plus point is the three players they have missing which must weaken them.

--------------Alexander

Broadfoot-----Weir-----Cuellar-----Papac

------------------Dailly

Davis-----Ferguson-----Thomson-----Novo

--------------Cousin

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No we have to win all 5 remaining matches as the goal difference won't be made up.

I agree TB. I think we have blown it today but I've been suspecting it for the last few weeks now. Celtic have the momentum and everything is going for them. That's when you know a team is going all the way.

Our biggest problem today was we have set out to play in such a way that we don't know how to do any differently. It turns out it was a 4-4-2 we played but a strange one. Dailly in central midfield and Thomson in left midfield. We lacked creativity and it was shown today that we struggle to go out and win matches against sides who defend.

It's not just today's result though that makes me think we have blown it. We have to win 5 games in a row and we are just not setup to go out and beat teams. The wiser opposition managers will setup the way we have in Europe knowing that we have to come at them and will then try to pick us off. I'd actually be surprised if we took 6 points from the two home games we now have.

The only positive is that with 5 games to go it is still in our hands. At the start of the season we would have taken that.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
You can still afford another draw, no? And this was the toughest of all the games, still reckon you'll do it.
if we draw it goes down to goal difference and we are behind on that by quite a bit.

that could change quickly with a couple of big results, but frankly we havent looked like taking 4 or 5 off anyone for months

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
if we draw it goes down to goal difference and we are behind on that by quite a bit.

that could change quickly with a couple of big results, but frankly we havent looked like taking 4 or 5 off anyone for months
Oh ok, hopefully you get the 5 wins then and/or Celtic in their remaining match(es). :)

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Celtic have the momentum and everything is going for them. That's when you know a team is going all the way.

The most frustrating thing is that I don't think their play really has any momentum.

Last 4 games, if the referee's had done their jobs properly they wouldnt have won any of them.

Smith may have borrowed catennacio from the Italians, but i'm really starting to suspect others been more influenced by calciopoli :mad:

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The most frustrating thing is that I don't think their play really has any momentum.

Last 4 games, if the referee's had done their jobs properly they wouldnt have won any of them.

Smith may have borrowed catennacio from the Italians, but i'm really starting to suspect others been more influenced by calciopoli :mad:
Lol. I don't know about calciopoli but maybe to a certain extent. It comes down to human beings not wanting their head and/or windows smashed in. Dallas proved that if it happens nothing is done and no apology is forthcoming. Initimidation is certainly a factor in these decisions.

I agree with you though about their play. I watched their games against Aberdeen and Motherwell and they were nothing more than average. If we lose the league to them then it will be difficult to lose it to such an average side but their supporters will then at least still to live the illusion they are something better. The luck is going with them at the moment and that's why I think they will win their last 2 games- if it was based purely on performances then I'd see them only winning 1 of their last 2 matches.

Today we just lacked creativity. I got sick of seeing the ball just lumped up the park in the first half and more often that not it went straight to the keeper. Davis looks tired and with that we were not going to get any creativity from Ferguson, Thomson or Dailly.

My biggest gripe today was the same one at Tannadice. I don't understand why Smith started with a 4-4-2. From memory he's done that only away and it's never paid off away to Stuttgart, Hearts, Dundee utd and now today. Maybe we done it somewhere else I can't remember. But even if he was going to play 4-4-2 then it would have been the perfect opportunity to play Cousin and Darcheville from the start.

In a 4 man midfield it was wrong to have Dailly as part of it and also wrong to play Thomson wide left. Another costly and strange decision from Walter. I would like to see us play 4-4-2 at some point but in the right circumstances. It was not the right choice today. Also I can't understand why Papac was subbed and Dailly was allowed to stay on- he was rotten.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
It's a disappointing result, but the good thing is we now have two home games to try and regain our winning habit. Even if we win the UEFA Cup, I don't know if i'd call it a successful season if we don't win the league. We only have ourselves to blame today. The onslaught on Hibs goal never really came and they were pretty comfortable tbh.

Maybe i'm being unfair to single him out, but I thought Kevin Thomson was shite.

I think we'll still do it.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Cuellar's booking means he'll miss the St. Mirren match. Guess if there was one game we don't mind him missing it was that one.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's worked out great to be honest. It was a late tackle but it was his only late one in the game so I thought the yellow was a bit harsh. It seems though it's not as bad as shoving someone to the ground.

Thomson was pretty pish today but to be fair to him he's not a left midfielder. I'm still puzzled as to why Walter played him there in a 4-4-2 with Dailly. We set up like this:

---------Alexander

Broadfoot---Cuellar---Weir---Papac

Davis-----Ferguson---Dailly---Thomson

---------Novo------Cousin

The players were fine for a 4-5-1 but in a 4-4-2 that for me is the wrong choice. In a 4-4-2 I think we should have gone:

---------Alexander

Broadfoot---Cuellar---Weir---Papac

Davis-----Ferguson---Thomson---Novo

---------Cousin------Darcheville

But above all that it really shouldn't have mattered. We did not impose ourselves on the game and given they had 3 first team players out suspended we should really have taken the game by the scruff of the neck- like we did at the start of the second half.

One thing I found interesting in Walter's after match comments. He feels the players have a mental problem at the start of games getting themselves going. That has been going on for a long time- since Eck was in charge. We should not need 45 minutes to get going. We have a Championship to win and we are making it ever more harder for ourselves. Wee Chesney will be rubbing his hands because all the ones that wanted him gone are now forgetting about that because we are not winning games.

I'm glad Walter though said it had nothing to do with fatigue. That evidently today was not a problem. We never looked tired at all and I don't expect us to tire from here on in. It was good that we didn't have to whinge like the darkside that we cannot win a title because we got to a European final. Where MON got his sainthood for no silverware but getting to a European final Walter has already surpassed it and could still urinate all over that "achievement" all the more.

As you say Angle the two home games are very important. If we cannot take 6 points from two home games at this stage of things then we really should forget it. While destiny is still in our own hands Walter should be forcing the issue in the dressing room. We have to go into the final in Manchester knowing we still can win the title without needing favours.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts